The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

~ Lineup tweaks we may have missed

darkpoet

Thats stupid u need to give the young guns a chance

They will get their chance and play if they earn a spot.

The coach addressed this topic yesterday in his interview.

They also get their chance to play wherever they end up ,whether that be junior or the 'A'.

The management is out to win,not ice kids that have not earned their right to play ,or worse,could be set back in their development and.or seriously injured.

People are forgeting jensen hes gonna be good-great this year should be on the second line

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Jensen Boner Vey

Burr Matthias Kass

Doorset Richy Hansen

Sestito

Higgy traded

Still think Jensen should play one more year in the AHL and be first call up. This lineup gets us into the season and hopefully young guys step in come spring time:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burr Boner Kass/Vey

Higgy Matthias Vey/Kass

Doorset Richy Hansen

Good observation but wouldn't put too too much stock in it. Playing on the offwing has its advantages as well.

A left hander playing on RW can bang home Dank's rebounds cleaner.

Likewise, Hank from behind the net can feed it to a left handed RW from the opposite side of the net for easy banks.

Breakouts and rushes, yeah having natural shots on the wings is great.

But in the cycle game, having offwings pays dividends as well.

I just happened to realize this in another thread. If this isn't somehow worthy of a new one then go ahead and axe it. My pride will survive.

Obviously we have a number of new players who'll be on this team come September/October.

I want to discuss some things that maybe have gone unnoticed that could pay huge dividends for our team.

The one thing I noticed was how our top two lines look to possibly be fleshing out.

We've all seen them:

Danny/Hank/Vrbata

Burr/Bonino/Kass

You can look at that on the surface and say "yep, looks pretty good"

One thing though, is that all 4 of those wingers are now in their natural positions. When was the last time we had that on our top two lines? Have we EVER??

Danny is a Left Wing LH shot, Vrbata is a Right Wing RH shot

Burr (who's played on his off wing with the Sedins) is a Left Wing LH shot, Kass is a Right Wing RH shot.

That is exactly what you want to see as a centerman. Guys on each side of you who shoot respective to their position.

I really do not think this was a coincidence.

The top line I think we can all agree, will provide a lot of offense for us.

The 2nd line now, with Bonino allegedly being a real "play maker" (something Kesler never really was) along with Kassian also emerging with some distributive skills last year - that line really needed a shooter on the left side. Enter Burrows who did exactly that riding shotgun with the twins.

The more I look at how this lineup is shaping out, the more I'm going hmmmm there could really be something here.

So what have you guys noticed that may not have been? anything piquing your spidey sense?

i was saying in a different thread, i really like our top 6.i cant recall since the twins were a 2nd line ever having one with a playmake on it. If bones is as advertised kass and burr are gonna have some fun this year. great thread btw

i think for me personally as a lefty with a right handed shot, im more comfortable one timing on my off wing but for dekes prefer my strong side. i think overall tho it really depend on what hand the centre is if hes a right shot like me i would choose my off wing and visa versa. as for me being a playmaker without a doubt my strong side. so i will go out on a limb and say since hank is a left shot and so is bones it make sense overall to have the wingers play there strong side sure worked with afro carter

No way they trade Higgins to fit in a a toss away that's on a 2 way contract (Vey) or a gaping defensive hole named Jensen.

Lol i wouldnt call Vey a "toss away" he's a potential top six for us.... Last time I checked usually teams dont give up a 2nd round pick for a toss away. And yeah Jensen has some work to do in his own end like a lot of young players but he proved near the tail end of last year he can score goals. Not every player on your roster needs to be a selke nominee lol u need balance and that means having some 90 foot players.

• 4 weeks later...

Playing your natural wing in the defensive zone is more important than in the offensive zone; keep structure in the defensive zone and be creative in the offensive zone. Creative means switching sides and communicating with your line mates about where to go. Switching to the off wing for a better set up for a one timer or setting up the late guy.

However, lining up on the right side (RHS) for face offs to get puck possession off the boards or in the face off circle.

During PP, switch to off wing for one timer and getting the puck on the face off after winning face off and moving to the middle...if you know what mean.

Why do people constantly put Kassian on the 2nd line, when he hasn't prove anything? Whereas, a guy like Higgins, who shows up every night, and consistently puts up 20 goals a season (on pace), gets plugged on the 3rd and 4th line?

Why do people constantly put Kassian on the 2nd line, when he hasn't prove anything? Whereas, a guy like Higgins, who shows up every night, and consistently puts up 20 goals a season (on pace), gets plugged on the 3rd and 4th line?

Higgins on the 3rd line is nothing but depth. The best teams have good players on lines they shouldn't be on. Makes the lineup stronger top to bottom and if someone goes down, don't have to stress as much knowing you have a capable player on the below line that'll be able to step up and play.

Our bottom 6 looks great and our top line could be great (again) but that second line is concerning.

Bingo.

Higgins on the 3rd line is nothing but depth. The best teams have good players on lines they shouldn't be on. Makes the lineup stronger top to bottom and if someone goes down, don't have to stress as much knowing you have a capable player on the below line that'll be able to step up and play.

Bingo.

It's a safer bet to have a guy that you know what you're going to get from him, than a guy who has been inconsistent, and who hasn't shown that he can step up his game. Kassian shouldn't be given top 6 minutes, just because he got better "potential" to succeed.

It's a safer bet to have a guy that you know what you're going to get from him, than a guy who has been inconsistent, and who hasn't shown that he can step up his game. Kassian shouldn't be given top 6 minutes, just because he got better "potential" to succeed.

It's a fine line and varies. Know what you're saying though. Kassian had huge strides this past year and Torts really helped his overall game develop. Kassian showed signs of top 6 at times then would look like a bottom sixer for a few games and get his game going etc. He has all the tools imo, and it really is about consistency at this point as redundant as that sounds. Potential to me is the ability to change a player for the better before he ages too much and solidifies his game and tendencies to an extent where it'll be too late to mould him. For Kass to become consistent, he needs to see the ice more and I think that's where we can see him develop into his potential at the best rate. He's been limited to ice for a while now so it's only fair he gets a shot after showcasing he's made leaps in his game. Just my $.02

It's a fine line and varies. Know what you're saying though. Kassian had huge strides this past year and Torts Gully really helped his overall game develop. Kassian showed signs of top 6 at times then would look like a bottom sixer for a few games and get his game going etc. He has all the tools imo, and it really is about consistency at this point as redundant as that sounds. Potential to me is the ability to change a player for the better before he ages too much and solidifies his game and tendencies to an extent where it'll be too late to mould him. For Kass to become consistent, he needs to see the ice more and I think that's where we can see him develop into his potential at the best rate. He's been limited to ice for a while now so it's only fair he gets a shot after showcasing he's made leaps in his game. Just my $.02

Fixed

I just happened to realize this in another thread. If this isn't somehow worthy of a new one then go ahead and axe it. My pride will survive.

Obviously we have a number of new players who'll be on this team come September/October.

I want to discuss some things that maybe have gone unnoticed that could pay huge dividends for our team.

The one thing I noticed was how our top two lines look to possibly be fleshing out.

We've all seen them:

Danny/Hank/Vrbata

Burr/Bonino/Kass

You can look at that on the surface and say "yep, looks pretty good"

One thing though, is that all 4 of those wingers are now in their natural positions. When was the last time we had that on our top two lines? Have we EVER??

Danny is a Left Wing LH shot, Vrbata is a Right Wing RH shot

Burr (who's played on his off wing with the Sedins) is a Left Wing LH shot, Kass is a Right Wing RH shot.

That is exactly what you want to see as a centerman. Guys on each side of you who shoot respective to their position.

I really do not think this was a coincidence.

The top line I think we can all agree, will provide a lot of offense for us.

The 2nd line now, with Bonino allegedly being a real "play maker" (something Kesler never really was) along with Kassian also emerging with some distributive skills last year - that line really needed a shooter on the left side. Enter Burrows who did exactly that riding shotgun with the twins.

The more I look at how this lineup is shaping out, the more I'm going hmmmm there could really be something here.

So what have you guys noticed that may not have been? anything piquing your spidey sense?

Hmm, LH wingers on the left side. RH wingers on the right side.

"I do not see coincidence, I see providence. I see purpose..."

regards,

G.

Looks great on paper but who knows how they are going to play with each other, i.e., chemistry.

Sedins are great players and can make the third guy look good but at the same time, that third guys needs to do things to help the Sedins maximize their skillset. See Pyatt for example, he produced better than he ever has in his career when playing alongisde the twins but he didn't do things that Burrows and Carter did. Can Vrbata do it?

Burrows-Bonino/Vey-Kassian seems to have great potential as a line. Kassian is finally rounding out his offensive game and Burrows and Bonino are competitors that can play well at both ends of the ice. Burrows will teach Kass by the way of demonstration, through his hustle play. I think Kass will reach another level in his development this season whilst playing alongside Burrows.

Sorry to be the guy who brings up injuries, but given the team's history, we should expect to see a revolving door of player call ups through the season.

So, my guess, as far as starting roster goes is as follows (in brackets are number of games that I'm speculating each player will be out of the lineup):

Daniel (10) -- Henrik (6) -- Vrbata (8)

Burrows (10) -- Bonino (8) -- Kassian (6)

Higgins (10) -- Vey (6) -- Hansen (6)

Matthias (6) -- Richardson (12) -- Dorsett (20)

Sestito

Hamhuis (4) -- Bieksa (8)

Edler (12) -- Tanev (16)

Sbisa (10) -- Stanton/Weber (6)

Miller

Lack

For 12 forwards, there is a total of 984 games available. I'm speculating that we'll lose 108 man games. For 6 d-men, there is a total of 492 games available. I'm speculating that we'll lose 56 man games. The total of man games lost of 164 that I'm speculating is significantly less than the 270 man games lost this past season, so I may be understating this number.

Nonetheless, based on these man-game lost numbers, we will get a chance to see players like Gaunce, Jeffries, Fox, Zalewski, Jensen, Corrado, Sanguinetti in the lineup a fair amount.

I had posted this same consideration a few weeks ago and nobody seemed to have picked up on it (I am not being snarky, just glad that it is getting some attention now).

It is a huge deal right now that we have a variety of players who can play in their natural positions. MG was pretty good at getting guys who could play in more than one forward position, but somehow they never ended up in the right spot because of other holes. It seems like Benning is paying more attention and working with the coaching staff about how each player fits into the roster as a whole, rather than just assembling various pieces and letting the coach work it out as best as he can.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrow-Bonino-Kassian

Matthias-Vey-Hansen

Higgins-Richardson-Dorsett

Higgins on a 4th line seems crazy, but he would be getting 3rd line minutes effectively once you consider special teams and an enhanced 4th line role. If not him, someone else who is a legit 3rd liner moves down. Every player in the bottom 6 can move up to be on the 3rd line and be solid. Great depth to have going into the season and facing injuries. As always, there will be a couple of guys out of the lineup early in the season with groin and abdominal strains giving time for young guys to get their 9 games in.

You also have enough flexibility in the bottom 6 that it could shape up as:

Higgins-Mattias-Hansen

Richardson-Vey-Dorsett

again... all in positions they are comfortable with.

I am waiting to see us get a physical RD to fill the last real hole in the roster. Maybe it won't happen this year as you can't expect to rebuild a team in a single season. This is a lot more complete a roster than I was expecting already.

People are forgeting jensen hes gonna be good-great this year should be on the second line

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Jensen Boner Vey

Burr Matthias Kass

Doorset Richy Hansen

Sestito

Higgy traded

I am certain that Jensen or Vey will not bump either Burrows or Kassian down to the third line for any longer period of time. Jensen is the most over hyped prospect on these boards and I don't see much upside in him more than a third liner at best. Higgins should not be traded before some players still left in that line up. It's Dorsett by the way.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Vey - Hansen

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

That is how it will be, and how it should be unless any of the prospects impresses the coaching staff A LOT. No point in rushing any players into the NHL whatsoever. Jensen could seriously need another season or two in the AHL. Taylor Pyatt was also successful playing with the twins.

Archived