The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Nathan Walker The First Australian Drafted player, signs with the Caps.

What do you guys think he'll become ?

I doubt you will find a person on here who has watched him play enough to know what he projects to be. I do watch a few AHL games but its only to follow prospects that I really like. The Caps best prospects are at the CHL level or in Europe so unless you are a Hershey Bears fan I doubt you will be tuning in to watching their affiliate play. It would be a different story if the Caps had some big name prospects there.

With all due respect its the same with the Canucks affiliate Utica. For me Utica will be worth watching next year when guys like Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox make their AHL debuts.

Good for him. More players from all around the world need to start playing Ice Hockey. I'm hoping soon we can see people from hot countries like India and China to start playing :D

china isn't exactly hot... the vast majority of the population is actually in the colder areas of china where it routinely gets snow. only the most southern parts of china (hong Kong included) are below the tropic of Cancer

china-population-map.jpg

china-temperature-january.jpg

China and India have poured in endless amounts of cash into the development of other sports. They are still way too corrupt (picking untalented kids of the rich and powerful) to try and pick up something like ice hockey.

Korea really needs to pick it up. The team isn't far away from the 2018 Olympics and even with a couple of naturalized citizens, they still suck. Nobody has the mentality to block a shot from Weber.

What do you guys think he'll become ?

I think he might be a future top 4 steady defenseman.

He's a goalie...

Seriously though, I've been rooting for this guy since I first heard his name a couple years ago. Would be pretty awesome to see an Aussie in the NHL in the near future.

China and India have poured in endless amounts of cash into the development of other sports. They are still way too corrupt (picking untalented kids of the rich and powerful) to try and pick up something like ice hockey.

Korea really needs to pick it up. The team isn't far away from the 2018 Olympics and even with a couple of naturalized citizens, they still suck. Nobody has the mentality to block a shot from Weber.

The South Korea men's national ice hockey team is the national men's ice hockey of South Korea. They are currently ranked 25th in the IIHF World Ranking and currently compete in IIHF World Championship Division I. The team holds the record of the largest victory in the sport. South Korea beat Thailand in the 1998 IIHF Asian Oceanic Junior U18 Championships almost unbelievably 92–0.[1] The team's most successful campaign thus far was a fifth in the 2013 Division IA tournament, ranking them 21st overall in the world.

lol 92-0

Yes he is. And he is THAT good to project, as a forward, to be a top 4 Dman.

Australians are badass.

in australia forward means defense, because, you know, they're all upside down down there... their toilets flush the wrong way too!

Australia actually has a big, more underground, more scene. When I was there last, there was a big "illegal street hockey" league that plays games in Perth, with roller-blades, a plastic puck and proper hockey sticks, played at places like basketball courts and carparks (hence the not legal)

1797415_10202117729757344_1456817155_s.j

The Canucks fans Australia group has nearly 1200 members- https://twitter.com/VanCanucksOz

Recently the Canada vs Australia your came to a few cities in Oz and it sold so well that they made extra shows, here are the lineups (some ex and current NHLers) http://www.internationalicehockey.com.au/

1940013_765412493502712_5329714697088250

im in Melbourne and yes we are hearing bit about it. In hockey circles anyway. I was on the news when he was drafted. He is heada and shoulders above most aussie guys for sure. He is a bit small though, I think like a Schroeder size. I have watched a couple of Hershey games and he looks ok. He is still pretty young. He spent a lot of time in Czech when he was younger then went to the Youngstown phantoms of the USHL.

My first thought was "...hockey in Australia?"

A quick look though, and I saw they have something that even we don't.

Anyone for a day at the beach?

Bondi-Ice-Skating-Picture.jpg

We lost a couple of rinks in melbourne , but we gained the ice-house , which is the best quality ice i have skated on in this country.

There is a small biut passionate following for the game out here in Aus.

im in Melbourne and yes we are hearing bit about it. In hockey circles anyway. I was on the news when he was drafted. He is heada and shoulders above most aussie guys for sure. He is a bit small though, I think like a Schroeder size. I have watched a couple of Hershey games and he looks ok. He is still pretty young. He spent a lot of time in Czech when he was younger then went to the Youngstown phantoms of the USHL.

He spoke to the doctor on JJJ a couple of weeks ago , this is getting some media attention.

Can you tell if it's generating any local interest? For all we know, the Canucks fans in foreign countries might just be Canadians abroad, which doesn't do anything for their national hockey program.

There are quite a few aussie's that are hockey fans , lot of aussie's go to canada to ski , my son went to his first game when he was 8 months old , he is on track to be a 6.3 210 pound power forward :)

Archived