The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospect Log Jam (Discussion) #deadlinedeals

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As our Canucks enter a new era we can see many elite prospects competing for jobs whether it be from start of training camp, or through the season coming up for injuries and having no reason to be sent back.

Hunter Shinkaruk:

- Skill very noticeable and effective in his first 6 pre-season games of the NHL last season. 2 goals in 6 games, at a consistent pace, he would have achieved 27 goals. At least.

- After nearly making the team, he lost a season of development to hip surgery. He nearly made the WJ team though on one hip haha. He is looking excellent again at camp, and if he can grow in the A this year, I say he would be ready for our team half way through the season.

Bo Horvat:

- Drafted 9th Overall in a exceptional draft, some would argue he should be ready. Another year in the O won't do him as much good as the AHL, but unfortunately he isn't elgibile yet.

- At 6 foot, 205 or so, he is a Bull. Capable of handling his own, and could be very sturdy 3C next year if he is ready. His offensive stats greatly increased from last season.

Dane Fox:

- Virtually a goal a game player in the O. Will be in the A next year. Signed as an over ager. Great size speed and shot. Looked excellent at rookie camp.

Brendan Gaunce:

- Likely to start as 1 or 2 C next year in the AHL, i say 2C. Many feel he could be ready. But chances are they would send him to the A anyway.

Nicklas Jensen:

- Very NHL ready, but could always develop more in the A. No need to rush.

- Nobody has a clue where management will send this 6'3 dane. He looks ready but, if he 'isnt' will help teach our prospects about the A. and will be ready by the end of the season.

BP AHL lineup

Jensen Vey Shinkaruk

Fox Gaunce Grenier

Archi Lain Zaleswki

- If so many guys are ready by the deadline, we could move players like Higgins, Hansen, etc to make room for our young players.

Next year we could go so oyung.

Sedin's Vrbata

Shink Bonino Jensen

Burr Vey Horvat

Fox, Gaunce and Jensen are not really "elite" prospects, depending on your definition of elite. I think aside from Jensen I would have all of Shinkaruk, Fox and Gaunce spend the full year in the AHL. There is no need to rush things, I think injuries might bring one or two of them in the lineup eventually anyway. For all of those guys its their first year as a pro so give it some time.

They'll all make it over a couple years, slowly forcing vets out, until the Sedins themselves retire.

Realistically in the next 1-2 I'd say we're looking at Corrado, Jensen and Horvat making it. In 2-3 years Gaunce, Shinkaruk (could go earlier), and Virtanen. McCann and Demko probably 4 years out. Wild cards in Fox, Tryamkin, Hutton, and Cassels. Everyone of these players (with the exception of Corrado/Jensen) has to at least prove they can play pro level hockey in the AHL.

Regardless, it's never a bad thing to have good prospects and plenty of them. At worst they're an asset similar to what Vey was to LA, or how Anaheim could move 2 roster players and a pick due to their asset depth.

Anyways, roll the dice on these kids and develop them properly and maybe 75% of them will be real NHLers. Added to this is the new culture Benning and company created over prospects camp, a genuine bonding between future teamates.

Shinkaruk was fantastic and the last player cut from last pre-season, so I expect him to make a BIG push for the big league. He's a winger who doesn't have as many responsibilities as Horvat at center too.

Horvat and Gaunce were quite slow last season and this training camp too, whereas Vey had 5 NHL points in 18 games and a point per game at the AHL. He's further along in development compared to anyone else. Jensen had a few NHL goals and points and may be just as ready as Vey.

Fox scored a lot but was an over-ager so I believe his ceiling is a 3rd line winger and probably won't make the NHL jump over Jensen or Vey.

Matthias is far more proven, stronger and NHL ready than Vey, Horvat or Gaunce.

Based on that, I expect us to start this lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Kassian - Bonino - Higgins

Hansen - Matthias - Jensen

Vey - Richardson - Burrows

However I'd like to see us try this:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Vbrata - Bonino - Shinkaruk

Higgins - Matthias - Jensen

Hansen - Richardson - Vey

Youth mentored by veterans on every line. Skill and size on every line. Perfect complementary players on ever line.

Shinkaruk was fantastic and the last player cut from last pre-season, so I expect him to make a BIG push for the big league. He's a winger who doesn't have as many responsibilities as Horvat at center too.

Horvat and Gaunce were quite slow last season and this training camp too, whereas Vey had 5 NHL points in 18 games and a point per game at the AHL. He's further along in development compared to anyone else. Jensen had a few NHL goals and points and may be just as ready as Vey.

Fox scored a lot but was an over-ager so I believe his ceiling is a 3rd line winger and probably won't make the NHL jump over Jensen or Vey.

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Youth mentored by veterans on every line. Skill and size on every line. Perfect complementary players on ever line.

No offence but your lines are all garbage... Yes it does matter if a winger is on his natural wing..

Your 1st line up

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Higgins Bonino Kassian

Hansen Matthias Jensen works but Jensen is probably top 6 or Ahl

Vey Richardson Burrows.... How the hell is Jensen, Hansen, Matthias, and Kassian above Burrows on depth.... one bad season does not equate to garbage... Bandwagons drive me bonkers

Sedin Sedin Kassian, I want this to work on ice

Shinkaruk Bonino Vrbata, a defensive mess waiting to happen

Higgins Matthias Jensen, Jensen is top 6 or AHL

Hansen Richardson vey.... Where is Dorsett and why do you dislike vey?? Also does Burrows disappear.

If you want McDavid, ice any of this two lines...

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

2nd line is very soft imo.

The only add I see would be on the 4th line so I'd say Fox/ Grenier/ Lain as possible experiments during camp and pre-season. And if we're out of the playoff race I could see us trading vets like Burr/Hansen/Sestito for draft picks.And this would maybe make room for a rook (like Jensen/Shink/Horvat))on the 3rd line. (Richardson I'd say is untouchable because of his faceoff and pk depth)

The only add I see would be on the 4th line so I'd say Fox/ Grenier/ Lain as possible experiments during camp and pre-season. And if we're out of the playoff race I could see us trading vets like Burr/Hansen/Sestito for draft picks.And this would maybe make room for a rook (like Jensen/Shink/Horvat))on the 3rd line. (Richardson I'd say is untouchable because of his faceoff and pk depth)

Richardson untouchable? He is a third/fourth line centre. If a team offered a good deal I'd take it.

No offence but your lines are all garbage... Yes it does matter if a winger is on his natural wing..

Your 1st line up

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Higgins Bonino Kassian

Hansen Matthias Jensen works but Jensen is probably top 6 or Ahl

Vey Richardson Burrows.... How the hell is Jensen, Hansen, Matthias, and Kassian above Burrows on depth.... one bad season does not equate to garbage... Bandwagons drive me bonkers

Sedin Sedin Kassian, I want this to work on ice

Shinkaruk Bonino Vrbata, a defensive mess waiting to happen

Higgins Matthias Jensen, Jensen is top 6 or AHL

Hansen Richardson vey.... Where is Dorsett and why do you dislike vey?? Also does Burrows disappear.

If you want McDavid, ice any of this two lines...

Why he continues to post line-ups when missing hockey basics like Higgins only plays LW I don't know. It's hilarious.

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Except for Kassian, there is no toughness anywhere in these lineups. This won't work playing in our division.

2nd line is very soft imo.

Ewwww, yeah that 2nd line looks awful,

People keep penciling in Matthias as a key player, I don;t see it, he an average bottom 6sguy with some size thats it, Nothing on this team will be built around him, nor will he be surprising us on the score sheet this year.

Archived