The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Holes in our prospect pool

What are the weakest areas/positions in our prospect pool? I think right now it looks like this:

Shinkaruk. Horvat. Jensen

Virtanen. McCan. Kassian

Cassels. Fox. Gaunce

Grenier. Lain. Zalewski

Kenins.

Beattie

Archibald

Mallet

Hutton. Cederholm

Subban. Tyramkin

McNally Tommernes

Forsling

Stewart

Demko

Erikkson

Our rebuilt team through the draft and developing will probably be a true contender in 2018-2020:

Until then we have possibly 6 first round picks and possibly 6 second round picks.

Where or what should the Canucks focus on drafting with these picks (we can get good players with picks other than 1st and 2nd round picks and develop them but we have the best chance with our 1st and 2nd round picks)

With the 6 1st and 2nd round picks: The x's are the areas we should be focussing on in the draft.

We pretty much need to build a true future 1st line. Now some of the prospects we already have could become better than projected but we need to draft some prospects that are true future 1st line projected prospects. Also a projected true #1 D pairing and a future goalie who can be counted on if Demko gets injured or doesn't pan out (lack will be close to retiring by then and Markstrom will probably be traded) If you look at teams like Montreal they have really good depth of young nhl starting goalie potential-Tokarski, fucale ect.

Blank Blank. Blank

Shinkaruk. Horvat. Kassian

Virtanen. McCan. Jensen

Cassels. Fox. Gaunce

Lain

Zalewski

Grenier

Blank Blank

Hutton. Cederholm

Subban. Tyramkin

McNally

Tommernes

Demko

Blank

Erikkson

RW LW and Rh PMD.

And that goes for skill and depth on both ends.

Because we need skilled LWs and skilled RWs but we also need quality depth at those positions of the Malhotra variety.

We also need at least 2 count em 2 puck moving defensemen of the Ehrhoff type or I guess of the much spoken of Pouliot/Vatanen/Theodore type. Rangy big RH

Subban and Hutton may or may not fill those roles but we are awfully thin back there right now

Barring that aside from Tryamkin we don't have any D men of solid size and mobility. Cederholm might be bruising enough. But that depth is questionable.

There ya go...basically everything in spades still except depth centers.

Oh and we still need that gem #1 center everyone speaks of for when Hank retires. And before anyone chimes in, no we are not getting one via trade without gutting our small pool of prospects

Maybe a better option for the first line center (although I think McCann and Horvat might work). A puck moving defenseman. More defenseman in general. Physical, defensive minded forwards (who can pop in some goals) for the bottom 6. One really good, elite winger would be nice (I don't think anyone currently fits the bill). There are some problems, but when all these guys are developed you can always add to your core via free agency if need be (Chara to Boston, Hossa to Chicago, Hamhuis to Vancouver, etc.)

Honestly I think we should have done the Colorado Avalanche method. Pick 3 times in the top 3 of the draft, and surround them with good later round draft picks. If we do something like that, we could have drafted Bennett/Reinhart this year, Hanifin the next year, Benson the year after. Build around those guys with solid picks and you're looking at a solid contender in a few year's

LW and a RHD puck mover

_____ - McCann - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

Gaunce - Bonino - Jensen

Matthias - Cassels - Grenier

Edler - _____

Sbisa - Tanev

Tryamkin - Subban/Corrado

Demko

Lack/Markstrom

LW and a RHD puck mover

_____ - McCann - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

Gaunce - Cassels - Jensen

Archibald - Matthias - Grenier

Edler - _____

Sbisa - Tanev

Tryamkin - Subban/Corrado

Demko

Lack/Markstrom

Lol Edler is a bit overaged don't you think? We are missing a first line defenceman pair

I think we need one high end centre and one high end defenceman. You're trying to do too much with Virtanen, McCann, Jensen on the 3rd line, we won't be able to afford that if they pan out.

It's too far away to think about it.

Plums I am not saying those three guys will be on our third line in the future. My main point is that we need need an "elite level" 1st line projected LW, C and RW and maybe 1 or 2 "elite level" defensive prospects. But we badly need atleast a future 1st line centre and a future #1 d pairing

And anyway if you have a third and forth line like that, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like you said they would have to deal with their salaries in the future.

Plums I am not saying those three guys will be on our third line in the future. My main point is that we need need an "elite level" 1st line projected LW, C and RW and maybe 1 or 2 "elite level" defensive prospects. But we badly need atleast a future 1st line centre and a future #1 d pairing

And anyway if you have a third and forth line like that, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like you said they would have to deal with their salaries in the future.

Who of: Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Kane, Kopitar, Gaborik, Brown, Carter, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, and Lucic would you consider elite? You don't need someone elite at all three forward positions.

And there in lays the problem. First off, and no one want to hear this, but you can't do it in a short enough time frame , unless you honestly think all our prospect are NHL bound. You and many others think that all our prospects will just plug into a certain spot and presto a contending team!.

I don't think that will happen the way you think. #1 Centers and #1 PMD don't just grow on trees. It will take 3 or 4 drafts at the least. There are other ways, but CDC honestly doesn't want to hear it.

You want guaranteed or at least almost certain picks.......unless you are one, two three in the draft, it is a gamble. If you want a #1 Center go after Barkov(fla), Johansson(cbs), Strome (nyi)....this will cost you big, but it can be done

Same thing for your #1 Dman...........go after a Reinhart, Maatta, Pouliot etc....these guy have shown growth and are ready, again it will cost.......

Things are not free.....we have most of the assets to get what we need, but there is risk and cost......but most of all CDC has to be prepared to spend assets.....

For example.........Horvat is an asset....do we have a capable alternitive? Will Bonino, McCann, Gaunce, Cassels, Vey,or Fox be able to replace Horvat as our slated 2nd line center? If so, than he is a tradible asset.........and don't get on my case, cause I love him as a prospect!

But if you package him (Horvat) with 2015th-1st and Lack, will that pull a young #1 center away from some one?

Same can be said for that PMD...........will a Hamhuis pull away a Maatta or someone equal from a contending team?

If you are not willing to do something like that, then you run the risk of waiting forever to get someone like that, as not all picks develope completely or at all...........

I am not saying you can "only" win with a #1 Center and a #1 PMD as there are other ways, but this is what the post is about, and I am telling you, not all our prospects will make the nhl. Hoping our 2015 1st will provide us with a #1 of anything is wishfull thinking

And there in lays the problem. First off, and no one want to hear this, but you can't do it in a short enough time frame , unless you honestly think all our prospect are NHL bound. You and many others think that all our prospects will just plug into a certain spot and presto a contending team!.

I don't think that will happen the way you think. #1 Centers and #1 PMD don't just grow on trees. It will take 3 or 4 drafts at the least. There are other ways, but CDC honestly doesn't want to hear it.

You want guaranteed or at least almost certain picks.......unless you are one, two three in the draft, it is a gamble. If you want a #1 Center go after Barkov(fla), Johansson(cbs), Strome (nyi)....this will cost you big, but it can be done

Same thing for your #1 Dman...........go after a Reinhart, Maatta, Pouliot etc....these guy have shown growth and are ready, again it will cost.......

Things are not free.....we have most of the assets to get what we need, but there is risk and cost......but most of all CDC has to be prepared to spend assets.....

For example.........Horvat is an asset....do we have a capable alternitive? Will Bonino, McCann, Gaunce, Cassels, Vey,or Fox be able to replace Horvat as our slated 2nd line center? If so, than he is a tradible asset.........and don't get on my case, cause I love him as a prospect!

But if you package him (Horvat) with 2015th-1st and Lack, will that pull a young #1 center away from some one?

Same can be said for that PMD...........will a Hamhuis pull away a Maatta or someone equal from a contending team?

If you are not willing to do something like that, then you run the risk of waiting forever to get someone like that, as not all picks develope completely or at all...........

I am not saying you can "only" win with a #1 Center and a #1 PMD as there are other ways, but this is what the post is about, and I am telling you, not all our prospects will make the nhl. Hoping our 2015 1st will provide us with a #1 of anything is wishfull thinking

I know the Canucks' have traditionally sucked at scouting, but it's highly unlikely one will be brought in via trade. They'll have to be drafted and developed.

I know the Canucks' have traditionally sucked at scouting, but it's highly unlikely one will be brought in via trade. They'll have to be drafted and developed.

Well William, I mean no disrespect, but keep your fingers crossed

Actually, how many 1st line centers were actually "developed"? I honestly can't come up with to many.....most true #1's come directly out of junior slated as #1 centers.......yes they may play a year in the AHL...but it was not for developement

Even Buffalo doesn't have 3 elite forward prospects.

Archived