The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden on Team 1040 Today

Squamfan

The most exciting news I got out of this thread is that Chalky's post indirectly led me to the information that Super Socco is having a 2014 relaunch!

https://www.facebook.com/realsupersocco

http://www.supersocco.ca/index.html

As for the stuff from Linden's Team 1040 interview: nothing much new there (at least based on what was tweeted by Matt Sekeres). Anyone listen to the whole thing (and hear anything of note that wasn't in those tweets)?

EDIT: typos/grammar

Get out!?!

I actually investigated buying the rights for that about 10 years ago.

Well....I'm glad someone is finally doing it!!!

I hope they have the same transparency as far as monies go. That was my plan.

I can get a little OCD when people do stupid things, so I try to balance that with useful information at least. Sarcasm is reserved for those that should know better usually.

:)

I know the world isn't perfect, but I try guys, I try.

Anyway, glad people are getting use from the audio links (curious if anyone will actually listen to the full segments from the original link) and there are interesting comments but nothing earth shattering.

Well, some people are getting use from the clips at least... :rolleyes:

You're all good in my books, Elvis.

It takes a village, after all. And.....we are a community.

Others can complain but they also snark out VC for doing what he does. Self policing is the way.

"We have high hopes for old vets to reclaim old glories. We got younger, but signed Miller and Vrbata. We got quicker, but lost our fastest center to our division rival."

"Gino isn't making the ring of honour. Wasn't considered before prognosis, so won't be now. We're considering other avenues of respect."

"Kassian is whining about icetime and role. That's what we traded Cody Hodgson for, right? Change is coming."

"Vey's a 4th line option at this point. We're going to give him every chance to make the club as we burned a good draftpick for him, but with Kassian being kept to checking-line duty, we're projecting the indication that there's no real future for any young players here. Kassian's wondering why we traded for him to protect the twins, only for him to rarely be put out there with the twins."

"There will be no significant UFA help coming to the rescue unless they're old and we overpay them like we had Miller and Vrbata. This is going to be the case during this rebuild phase we're in. Chuckers like Dorsett and plugs like Sbisa are going to be the norm otherwise. Oh right, we had to trade for them."

"On the bright side, MORE BEER! We're all going to need it."

Wow. Even your transcriptions drip with bitterness.

Haven't listened to it yet but on Kassian..

1. What TL said it true and even Kassian would say the same thing - needs to take the next step and learn to play that hard 200 ft game and use his whole amazing arsenal of talents game in game out, shift to shift.

Here's his exact quote - completely benign and matter of fact

"I think that it's important for Zack to not think about 'top six, bottom six, first line, second line, third line' but he needs to think about becoming a complete player. We need Zack to think about playing tough, hard, between the whistles and about setting the tone each and every night with his physicality."

Let's break this down

A. Not worry about 'title' or line - worry about improvement - Of course! Fact

B. Complete player - Yep Zack has said the very same thing, nothing bad there!

C. Playing tough, hard , between the whistles = Use your great size, strength and ability to intimidate kid - Yep nothing wrong there. In fact a compliment to his strengths

D. Setting the zone each and every night with his physicality = We want you to set the tone = BE A LEADER = WE WANT BIG THINGS FROM YOU = WE THINK VERY HIGHLY OF YOUR ABILITIES AND LEADERSHIP

2. This is nothing different than any young player - so stop creating controversy where there is none.In fact the quote is quite complementary if you read between the lines as I showed.

3. It doesn't matter what line any player plays on if they are rolling 4

4. Burrows has been quoted as saying he will play anywhere he's asked - should this not be the expectation of any team player? Yes! So why are people in a tizzy!

5. Kassian hasn't 'earned' anything yet, other than a real hard look at the top

6, the rest is up to him. This is what the GM and Coaches want - competition to earn the spot, competition to keep it, which leads to more of what was suggested in point 1 - learning to give it all every moment...

7. Isn't Logan Couture or Pavelski on the third line? Dont we praise SJ for that great depth? Isn't Mike Richards on the third line? Don't we praise LA for that great depth? Get the point folks. A third line on a deep team that rolls 4 lines get alot of ice - that's all he needs.

8. I actually prefer him there if that's where he ends up because it opens a spot for Jensen. Jensen really is only a top 2 line player. Kassian has the great ability to slide up and down the lineup because he has a broader skillset.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Jensen

Matthias Richardson Kassian

Higgins Horvat/Vey Dorsett

Much better balance with that group in my view

Absolutely nothing wrong with what Linden said and completely aligned with what their strategy has been from the outset.

Earn your keep and your spot via your play.

Btw - Kassian is going to be a beast next year mark my words. His trainer has said he has never seen him so focused.

The kid wants it, wants to get better, wants to be a leader, has the right attitude and all the skill in the world...they are being careful, they are grooming him....this is not about 'demotion' its about 'creating'.

Creating the player they want him to be and what they know he is capable of being.

TL and Benning are not stupid people, and Willie is great with young players. I have zero worry that Kassian will be treated 'unfairly' / used improperly....

They have a method folks -relax

You can't blame Kassian for worrying about what line he's on. Ever since he got here he would be punished for small mistakes by being put on lower llines. Maybe that's not the culture now but it has been ever since he got here. Justified or not line 3 and 4 were his punishments so being there now would still feel like that.

It's ridiculous, though, for anyone to act like he's not being a team player. He's worked hard and been patient ever since arriving.

I don't think Linden was saying he believes that kassian will or should start in the bottom six I think he meant that kassian needs to commit to playing a two way game wether he's put into an offensive role or checking role. Linden has stated many times that he believes being good defensively doesn't mean less offense. Having a four line team doesn't mean two lines that score and two that check it means four lines that can play in all areas of the rink so it doesn't matter where kassian starts he should be focused on playing sound two way hockey.

I don't think Linden was saying he believes that kassian will or should start in the bottom six I think he meant that kassian needs to commit to playing a two way game wether he's put into an offensive role or checking role. Linden has stated many times that he believes being good defensively doesn't mean less offense. Having a four line team doesn't mean two lines that score and two that check it means four lines that can play in all areas of the rink so it doesn't matter where kassian starts he should be focused on playing sound two way hockey.

I personally think what he meant is just consistently play the game hard?

Last year, the last 1/3rd of the year Kass was good. First 2/3rds he was inconsistent but offered flashes. One game he'd bust Gagner in the corner, then head to the net. 4 or 6 Games earlier he's mixing it up with Colton Orr, or Chris Stewart. An equalizing physical force. In between he might watch Archibald go into a board battle. Hangin out just outside the battle hoping someone free's up the puck for him. Thats the Kassian Linden wants to improve.

Bottom line, is when Kass commits to playing the game hard, he is extremely good. Bring it like Burrows or Dustin Brown, and he's an all star with his size, speed and puck skills!

"We have high hopes for old vets to reclaim old glories. We got younger, but signed Miller and Vrbata. We got quicker, but lost our fastest center to our division rival."

"Gino isn't making the ring of honour. Wasn't considered before prognosis, so won't be now. We're considering other avenues of respect."

"Kassian is whining about icetime and role. That's what we traded Cody Hodgson for, right? Change is coming."

"Vey's a 4th line option at this point. We're going to give him every chance to make the club as we burned a good draftpick for him, but with Kassian being kept to checking-line duty, we're projecting the indication that there's no real future for any young players here. Kassian's wondering why we traded for him to protect the twins, only for him to rarely be put out there with the twins."

"There will be no significant UFA help coming to the rescue unless they're old and we overpay them like we had Miller and Vrbata. This is going to be the case during this rebuild phase we're in. Chuckers like Dorsett and plugs like Sbisa are going to be the norm otherwise. Oh right, we had to trade for them."

"On the bright side, MORE BEER! We're all going to need it."

You put some pretty serious SPIN on those conversations? Which really is not what was said.

I agree with the comments about Kassian. I know he has it in him to be a really great player if he pushes himself a little more. We saw some flashes of brilliance in the late part of last season with Kassian Richardson and Mathias. He just needs to focus more on consistency. I'd really love to see some more of him with the Sedins again too. I hope he gets a shot again, he deserves it IMO. I think he could really excel in that role if given the opportunity.

I agree with the comments about Kassian. I know he has it in him to be a really great player if he pushes himself a little more. We saw some flashes of brilliance in the late part of last season with Kassian Richardson and Mathias. He just needs to focus more on consistency. I'd really love to see some more of him with the Sedins again too. I hope he gets a shot again, he deserves it IMO. I think he could really excel in that role if given the opportunity.

at their point in their careers i wouldn't even consider the twins first line players anymore. that spots open to youth which this club really needs to learn to take a chance on, instead of killing them in juniors/minors or on the 4th line

im all for "development" but we can't keep sitting on talent and have them flounder in the minors. they have to learn how to sink or swim

Hell no. Please tell me they are not thinking of changing the jerseys to Johhny Canuck. The Orca ones are the best. Maybe Johhny Canuck as an alternative jersey to wear sometimes like those ones with the hockey stick logo, but not as the main ones.

if they wore johnny canucks, you could come off your anti depressants. recap: canuck is logger, johnny canuck is lager on ice!, logger play nice brand bump n grind 'bruin model' game. orca is fish, fish is whale, whale got hisself flukes an can no hold stick so whale don't play hockey, orca will never win cup. oh and change is coming!

if they wore johnny canucks, you could come off your anti depressants. recap: canuck is logger, johnny canuck is lager on ice!, logger play nice brand bump n grind 'bruin model' game. orca is fish, fish is whale, whale got hisself flukes an can no hold stick so whale don't play hockey, orca will never win cup. oh and change is coming!

Wut.

Considering we're now owning "play making" capable centre's for the 3rd and 4th line in Bonino and Vey; that's not a bad plan!

Twin / Twin / Vrbata

Burrows / Boninno / Kassian

Higgins / Vey / Jensen

Mathias / Richardson / Dorsett

Hansen / Sestito

I see it like this, but either (not both) of Jensen / Horvat making the squad. 3rd line then just swaps to Higgins / Horvat / Vey

It actually looks good. With a solid amount of skill on all lines and some size to boot.

Archived