The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our Prospect Pool...

Shinkaruk_9

I was interested in hearing your guys' opinion on how our prospect pool stacks up compared to other teams. I find this quite interesting because no one had many replies on HF Boards in the prospect ranking thread in terms of teams for the Canucks and in general I find HF to be very delusional lol. Where would our forwards be ranked, our defence, our goaltending and our overall prospect pool?

Here's my rankings;

Forwards: 15-10

Defence: 25-15?

Goaltending: I honestly cannot give an opinion on this, as I do not know much about Eriksson and Demko

Forwards-10 to 15

Defence- 20 to 30

Goaltending- Top 10

We had the 2nd best goalie outside of the NHL was it?(Eriksson). Plus Demko has some Elite skills

I've never heard of Erikkson refered to as the 2nd best goalie outside of the NHL. I think Markstrom may have been described that way at one point but he has yet to live up to that hype. That being said Eriksson looked good in the AHL, Demko was the top rated goalie in the 2014 draft, plus we have some young but no longer prospect goalies in Lack and Markstrom so the future of our goaltending I agree looks good.

Offence top 5 because we have a bunch of solid second liners with potential for greater things (first line duty).

Defence mid 10 because it is unlikely we have a stud or more than one anyway if Hutton pans out.

Goalies top 3 Errickson and Cannata are both capable, Markstrom may yet come around. Lack to me is proven but will get better.

Then there is Demko, we are solid as can be.

I've never heard of Erikkson refered to as the 2nd best goalie outside of the NHL. I think Markstrom may have been described that way at one point but he has yet to live up to that hype. That being said Eriksson looked good in the AHL, Demko was the top rated goalie in the 2014 draft, plus we have some young but no longer prospect goalies in Lack and Markstrom so the future of our goaltending I agree looks good.

Eriksson was crazy good for Skellefteå when they won the SHL, like really crazy good. He was easily one of the top goaltenders outside of the NHL, top five for sure.

Adding Horvat, Shinkaruk, Fox, Virtanen, McCann, and Vey over the past two years has taken our forward group from probably 25th in the league to 10-15.

Our defense hasn't really improved, I would say it is round 20th.

Goaltending is tricky, but I would say arounds 5th.

So I would go 11 for forwards, 23rd for defense, and 4th for goaltending.

I'd be shocked if HF ranks us any lower than 18th. Our depth is great, we've got blue-chippers, boom-or-bust guys (Subban) and our defence doesn't look too bad anymore. Our goaltending and forwards are top 15 I'd say, and if we get some more notable names on the blueline or some guys breakout we could be in the top half when compared against the rest of the league

I'd be shocked if HF ranks us any lower than 18th. Our depth is great, we've got blue-chippers, boom-or-bust guys (Subban) and our defence doesn't look too bad anymore. Our goaltending and forwards are top 15 I'd say, and if we get some more notable names on the blueline or some guys breakout we could be in the top half when compared against the rest of the league

I'd agree with you except for the fact that it's HF and they are inherently biased/full of BS.

Forwards 5-15

Defense 20-30

Goaltending Top 10

There are no notable names on D with Hutton and corrado projected to be 3-6 D men. With no top end talent on the blueline there is no way we are ranked any higher than 20th there in my opinion.

Our offense has a good supply of prospects but no real game breaker prospects (I'm thinking players like Drouin\reinhart). For that reason I can't rate them any higher than fifth.

Forwards 5-15

Defense 20-30

Goaltending Top 10

There are no notable names on D with Hutton and corrado projected to be 3-6 D men. With no top end talent on the blueline there is no way we are ranked any higher than 20th there in my opinion.

Our offense has a good supply of prospects but no real game breaker prospects (I'm thinking players like Drouin\reinhart). For that reason I can't rate them any higher than fifth.

our skaters are missing top line talent but the forwards have much better depth than the defense prospects. i feel like we're only a couple higher round defense picks away from balancing the groups. i love the fact that we have a potential 2nd pairing in hutton-corrado and we only spent 2 5ths for that.

I don't know enough about all the other teams prospects to rank our group out of 30... But here's me .02

Forwards: A- lots of solid players, lacking in star scoring forwards though.

Defence: C+ a couple notable players, but no blue chippers.

Goalie: B+ very hard to project how goalies will turn out, but we have some solid potential.

Forwards: A- lots of solid players, lacking in star scoring forwards though.

Shinkaruk scored 49 goals in the WHL, while Virtanen scored 45.

We definitely have scoring forwards, the only question is whether they can do that at the next level. But that question exists with every prospect.

I would say the Canucks have a very good balance in the forward group between size, skill, and two way play.

Overall rating around 19

Forwards 13-18. No genuine stand out surefire top line winger or center as of yet. We do not have that player teams kick your door in for. Horvat, Shinkaruk, McCann, Fox and Gaunce all intriguing but still at least 2 seasons away from the big show

Defence 24-28 Really...who do we have? Corrado who is a possible 5-6 at the moment, more likely 7th man, HUtton who still has to finish college, Forsling and Subban who have serious growth before they'll be in the line up and Tryamkin who might be our most NHL ready prospect outside of Corrado. |Cederholm could shock

Goaltending 8-10 Demko, Erikkson, Markstrom. All stand out possibilites but now tied up in one of the deepest goaltending groups in the league...which is almost farcicle when you consider it is the only position in the league depth does very little to benefit you as only 1 man can play goal at 1 time.

We are moving in the right direction. 2 Solid drafts in a row and next years to look forward to.

Overall rating around 19

Forwards 13-18. No genuine stand out surefire top line winger or center as of yet. We do not have that player teams kick your door in for. Horvat, Shinkaruk, McCann, Fox and Gaunce all intriguing but still at least 2 seasons away from the big show

Defence 24-28 Really...who do we have? Corrado who is a possible 5-6 at the moment, more likely 7th man, HUtton who still has to finish college, Forsling and Subban who have serious growth before they'll be in the line up and Tryamkin who might be our most NHL ready prospect outside of Corrado. |Cederholm could shock

Goaltending 8-10 Demko, Erikkson, Markstrom. All stand out possibilites but now tied up in one of the deepest goaltending groups in the league...which is almost farcicle when you consider it is the only position in the league depth does very little to benefit you as only 1 man can play goal at 1 time.

We are moving in the right direction. 2 Solid drafts in a row and next years to look forward to.

You can never have enough depth in your goalie prospects though. Just increases the chances that we'll hit a home run with one of them. I can't disagree with your points about Cederholm and about how much we've improved the pool in the last two drafts. It's going to be exciting watching these guys develop.

Archived