The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

im wondering after trading garrison whos gonna replace his 33 points off d

canuktravella

Garrison had a pretty good offensive season last year, for sure. 33 points from a D-man is respectable and where those points will come from is a very good question. I'd say replacing those points won't be as difficult as it first appears though. By all accounts Edler had an "off" year last season. Really low PDO, one of the worst shooting percentages of his career. To top those stats off, he was also used on a regular-season career-low of the Canucks PP time. I know advanced stats aren't everything, but in this particular instance it's easy to assume that Edler is due for a "return to form" as last season was most likely a statistical anomaly in many categories for him. And realistically, Garrison's -3.3% relative corsi for leads me to believe that whoever replaces his 5v5 minutes will be at least able to keep pace with his even strenth points totals.

Hamhuis- probably won't increase his offensive output by much but hopefully he'll play a bit better than he did last season

Edler- I would like nothing more than for Edler to come close to his potential

Bieksa- he's going to begin his decline where injuries will come and many areas of his game will be on a decline

Sbisa- isn't a guy who will put up a lot of points but can put up at least half of what Garrison put up last season

Tanev- I could see him putting up 20+ points this season. His offensive game is underrated

Stanton- real sleeper pick here

I think a bit from everybody will cover those points. Hard to play worse than they did last season

Edler going from 22 to ~40 points will make up 18 of the difference. I see Hammer with around 30 points, Sbisa at 15-20 (assuming 3 pairing + 2nd unit PP), and Chris Tanev adding around 5 points on last season. So that makes up what 46-51 points? Not just replacing Garrison, but improving offense from the D.

Seven goals doesn't seem that hard to replace. A third of his assists were second assists and I imagine quite a few first assists came from guys tipping in pucks in front of the net. You could argue that his shot from the point is what is creating these goals, but given Garrison's trouble getting pucks on net in the first place, I don't think that's the case.

He was a good enough player but the task of making up lost points doesn't seem to me to be that monumental when considering how those points were earned.

Umm, the rest of the defence.

It's not that big of an issue. Our defence will naturally get points if our forwards can get it done.

I was going to say, "the other guys," but that works too.

His 33 points will be missed, but if the rest of the team (forwards included) aren't having bounceback years then his 33 points wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Your sense of 'sarcastic irony' is exceeded only by your eloquence .. Sincerely, Dick.

I didn't know your name was Richard...

But seriously, he's been posting off topic in other threads too, just trying to troll I guess. Keep on keeping on G.

Sincerely,

Some People Don't Like Me For Whatever Reason

Well, if it bothers you that much, I won't do that anymore.

I do apologize, both humbly and sincerely, if my attempt at being polite has caused you some level of distress. Thankyou for bringing this to my attention.

regards,

G.

I see what you're doing there, G. Killing them with kindness...you're a killer whose kindness shouldn't be mistaken for weakness. You rule, brother. Peace out.

Well, if it bothers you that much, I won't do that anymore.

I do apologize, both humbly and sincerely, if my attempt at being polite has caused you some level of distress. Thankyou for bringing this to my attention.

regards,

G.

Oh wait, sorry!! My bad. This will be the last post where I sign off with "regards, G".

Once again, please accept my fullest regrets on the issue.

regards,

G.

:lol: that gave me a good laugh

Hamhuis has been with the Canucks 4 years and he's only cracked 24 points once (in the '11-12 season). I don't know where people are getting his 30+ pts for hammer. He's great defensively but let's just say he's offensively-challenged. I think if Edler has a bounce back year however that would cover most of Garrison's points.

I was going to say, "the other guys," but that works too.

His 33 points will be missed, but if the rest of the team (forwards included) aren't having bounceback years then his 33 points wouldn't have mattered anyway.

I didn't know your name was Richard...

But seriously, he's been posting off topic in other threads too, just trying to troll I guess. Keep on keeping on G.

Sincerely,

Some People Don't Like Me For Whatever Reason

Well if I had to venture a wild guess, I'd say it's your mini-modding. That's ok tho I'm going to give you the same advice you gave G: Keep on keeping on =)

... except maybe tone it down a little

sorry im not sure how any of you think hamhuis or tanev have any offensive ability because they dont. they have great positional play and defensive ability but. in all reality my wrist shot is harder than tanevs i think weber edler and bieska will be good on pp but unless sbisa has a huge shot our 2nd unit pp is in real trouble again

Um, how about anyone that can shoot the puck even remotely close to the net? Garry looked drunk out there, both on offense and defense. I wish he got injured so he didn't hog so much goddamn ice time. One of the biggest cancers in hockey gets 22+ first line/pp mins and 82 games. Sigh.

A quick fix would be to call up fox and have him sit at the point. We all know he's got one hell of a shot and he can pick corners, but the most important thing here is his hand eye and his ability to actually THINK before he shoots.

sorry im not sure how any of you think hamhuis or tanev have any offensive ability because they dont. they have great positional play and defensive ability but. in all reality my wrist shot is harder than tanevs i think weber edler and bieska will be good on pp but unless sbisa has a huge shot our 2nd unit pp is in real trouble again

Hamhuis has never put up less than 20 points in a year. The season before last he was on pace for 40 points (lock-out shortened season).

Hamhuis has never put up less than 20 points in a year. The season before last he was on pace for 40 points (lock-out shortened season).

Agreed, I think you are under-rating Hamhuis's offensive abilities. When being used as a pure shut-down d-man, with occasional 2nd PP time he averages 25+ points per season. The two years before Torts he scored 37 in 82 and 24 in 47. You don't get on Team Canada's Olympic roster if you can only play the defensive side of the game.

Hamhuis used to be a 30 point player, actually he was in the 2012-13 shorten season, and Tanev had 17 points in 64 games which means in a healthy season, he's a 20-30 point player which is what most people are predicting and he will improve. They're not 15 point scoring shut down defensemen, they can provide some offense.

Umm, the rest of the defence.

It's not that big of an issue. Our defence will naturally get points if our forwards can get it done.

Ummm no, and how does this post have two pluses? PMD are key for helping forwards get more points, you can't expect our forwards to start all the plays in there own zone. Look at any successful NHL team and chances are you'll find a very good puck moving Dman. LA has Doughty, Chicago has Keith, Boston has Chara and Hamilton, even the 2011 Canucks had Ehroff. Expecting our defence to 'naturally' get points makes about as much sense as expecting the Sedins to become enforcers.

Agreed, I think you are under-rating Hamhuis's offensive abilities. When being used as a pure shut-down d-man, with occasional 2nd PP time he averages 25+ points per season. The two years before Torts he scored 37 in 82 and 24 in 47. You don't get on Team Canada's Olympic roster if you can only play the defensive side of the game.

Agreed. Doesn't have much of a shot but you don't have vision and IQ like this guy without being able to make a pass.

Edler and Tanev. I think that pairing will be pretty instrumental as the more offensive pair, since Hammer and Juice probably will absorb the tougher minutes, leaving Tan Man to saucer passes for Eddie to bomb against lower level competition. If they don't fit I could see the team readily going to Corrado to replace Chris, since last time up he played well with Eddie.

Archived