The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

im wondering after trading garrison whos gonna replace his 33 points off d

canuktravella

This is pretty much it. On a smaller contract, I think Garrison would have been fine. Most nights he played like a decent bottom pairing defender with the ability to play some power-play minutes. He was expected to do too much, and was paid too much for what he brings. He's basically one of those "okay at most things, great at nothing" players.

His skating isn't terrible, but it's slow and choppy enough that he gets beaten a lot. His shot is really hard, but wildly inaccurate. He's got a solid frame, but really doesn't play physical. He's not terrible in his own end, but he's not good enough to be a pure shut-down player either.

For what he's being paid, he won't be missed. If Sbisa can find his game, he's a much more attractive option going forward.

Agreed. Garisson showed flashed of brilliance at some points, but he was never good enough at anything to stay consistant. If I remember correctly, I think a third of his points came in October, then he went on a very long slump after that. He couldn't maintain it. He'd be the perfect 5th/6th D, but for what he's being paid... It was better to unload him.

Also, don't forget Edler. Not but 2 years ago, he put up 49 points and effectively replaced Ehrhoff as the OFD/PMD, and everyone thought he was the most amazing player eve. Last year he had an abysmal season, no doubt, but if he can refind his form, then he can put up 30-50 points easy. Garrison really will not be missed.

Edler: 35-40 points (I have a really good feeling about him for next season)

Hamhuis: 31 points

Bieksa: 25 points

Tanev: 20 points

Sbisa: 22 points

Stanton: 12 points

I really think we'll be fine, the real question mark is Edler.

I'm curious as to why a number of folks are assuming that hamhuis will score more points than Bieksa, who has averaged more points per season over his career.

regards,

G.

People seem to think Bieksa is going to start declining at this point. Perhaps it is true, he will show up in his contract year in true Bieksa form.

Well if I had to venture a wild guess, I'd say it's your mini-modding. That's ok tho I'm going to give you the same advice you gave G: Keep on keeping on =)

... except maybe tone it down a little

B) My sarcasm is reserved for those that truly deserve it. I'm helpful otherwise.

Ummm no, and how does this post have two pluses? PMD are key for helping forwards get more points, you can't expect our forwards to start all the plays in there own zone. Look at any successful NHL team and chances are you'll find a very good puck moving Dman. LA has Doughty, Chicago has Keith, Boston has Chara and Hamilton, even the 2011 Canucks had Ehroff. Expecting our defence to 'naturally' get points makes about as much sense as expecting the Sedins to become enforcers.

Except Garrison isn't a PMD. Not sure how the loss of him changes what our forwards do, apart from to open up his spot for someone like Weber/Corrado/Sanguinetti - each of whom would be a better PMD than Garrison. I like Garrison, don't take that as a slag on him, but PMD wasn't one of his strengths.

He didn't die did he?

If you'd looked at the OP's line up, you might think he had since he's not in it.

We have exactly zero players like Del Zotto. Not sure why he hasn't signed with another team yet, but if the price is right the team should pick him up to shake up what has being a very poor pp the last few years. He's young, not close to his prime yet - scored 37 points in his rookie year, suffered through injuries in his second - scored 44 pts his third, scored 21 pts in the lock out season - and lost favour with Torts (and we all know how that worked with Edler last year) and was traded to Nashville where he never fit in.

With Garrison gone (which is going to hurt this team until somebody steps up in our current system) picking him up is the best way to get the points back.

IMO this forum greatly overrates our current D. I agree with the postee of this post - our defence isn't that good right now, it has some pieces but no real sizzle or true number 1. Bieksa and Hamhuis are the closest things to that but Bieksa and the infirmary are too familiar, and Hamhuis is good all around but not real good offensively. Edler is our best hope for this and hopefully the new coach can get the best from him, last year he was just awful.

I added this in other threads, but I think it deserves a mention in reply to this.

I'll just leave this here:

But wait, there's more:

3154592641_2039532146_HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW_an

But on top of that, zero players like Del Zotto isn't quite right. And by that I mean he plays on the left, where if he was on the right he could have a slim chance. As it is though with the one spot open for competition being on the right, the players we have that could do a similar job (Weber, Corrado and Sanguinetti) all play the right side naturally and have an advantage.

I don't think it would be that difficult for a defender to accumulate 33 points when you play in offensive situations only, against easy competition, with a crap load of powerplay time. I mean... how the frack can you ONLY get 33 points in that type of situation?

I'm not saying Garrison was the 2nd coming of whoever, but the level of crap that guy is taking here is off the charts. Sheeesh, Jason "New Edler" Garrison. You don't get 33 points unless you are a gifted offensive dman, that is just reality. Just like you don't get to be a Pimp unless you facilitate women selling their bodies for money.

Edler - 35 pts

Bieksa - 25 pts

Hammer - 22 pts

Tanev - 20 pts

Sbisa - 16 pts

Stanton - 9 pts

Weber - 7 pts

Corrado - 4 pts

I'm not saying Garrison was the 2nd coming of whoever, but the level of crap that guy is taking here is off the charts. Sheeesh, Jason "New Edler" Garrison. You don't get 33 points unless you are a gifted offensive dman, that is just reality. Just like you don't get to be a Pimp unless you facilitate women selling their bodies for money.

That's one way of putting it! :o

But Garrison has a fair level of unreasonable hate on CDC. People like to say things like how he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn yet have no real evidence to support it. Many of the arguments against Garrison have been refuted on CDC multiple times, so I won't rehash them again, but if someone wants to substantiate a statement like that, I'll gladly listen.

Do you guys think that Nikita Tryamkin could make the team ? He is a really big guy and can skate really good maybe even better than Chara.

Pretty slim chance of that. Corrado may make the team though.

Do you guys think that Nikita Tryamkin could make the team ? He is a really big guy and can skate really good maybe even better than Chara.

Yes I think he can make the team....after his KHL contract is up in 2 years.

Also he is already a better skater than chara.

Edler - 35 pts

Bieksa - 25 pts

Hammer - 22 pts

Tanev - 20 pts

Sbisa - 16 pts

Stanton - 9 pts

Weber - 7 pts

Corrado - 4 pts

Gifted seems a bit over the top. He was a good d-man with a better than average shot. His accuracy was an issue, that is a given. He seemed like he was trying to shoot too hard and his aim suffered as a result. His biggest deficiency was his ability to think the game. He would stop skating when trying to make passes out of our zone. He seemed like he had to evaluate the sutuation too long to see the play. He never overcame that.

I don't think our defensive production will suffer at all.

Bieksa has 3 40+ seasons under his belt. I think it's is still possible to see 70 points out of his remaining contract. If he and edler can (on seperate pairings) both put up 30+ points and hamhuis continues his consistent 20+ we should be alright

Gifted seems a bit over the top. He was a good d-man with a better than average shot. His accuracy was an issue, that is a given. He seemed like he was trying to shoot too hard and his aim suffered as a result. His biggest deficiency was his ability to think the game. He would stop skating when trying to make passes out of our zone. He seemed like he had to evaluate the sutuation too long to see the play. He never overcame that.

I don't think our defensive production will suffer at all.

Gifted may be a battle of semantics. He is an NHL quality, NHL career d-man who puts up good points and has shortcomings just like everyone. I agree our defensive production will not suffer, but I also don't think we will have as high a total defensive point total than in previous years by design. IMO, we are going to see less pinching in from the d-core and we are going to see a modified trap system to compensate for the loss of top 6 depth.

EDIT: shortcomings just like everyone EXCEPT Shea Weber.

Why does everyone keep thinking staton will get sub 20 points, he had ?18? Last season and was injured for a good portion of the season... That was his rookie season...

Edler 37

Bieksa 26

Stanton 24

Hammer 21

Tanev 20

Sbisa 12

Weber 8

Corrado 4

Archived