The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

im wondering after trading garrison whos gonna replace his 33 points off d

canuktravella

I think most people are expecting a decrease from our blue-line in pretty much all areas, but particularly offense. So to answer your question, no one.

The only way it will be replaced is if Hamhuis, Edler, or Bieksa have comeback years in terms of offense.

We have exactly zero players like Del Zotto. Not sure why he hasn't signed with another team yet, but if the price is right the team should pick him up to shake up what has being a very poor pp the last few years. He's young, not close to his prime yet - scored 37 points in his rookie year, suffered through injuries in his second - scored 44 pts his third, scored 21 pts in the lock out season - and lost favour with Torts (and we all know how that worked with Edler last year) and was traded to Nashville where he never fit in.

With Garrison gone (which is going to hurt this team until somebody steps up in our current system) picking him up is the best way to get the points back.

IMO this forum greatly overrates our current D. I agree with the postee of this post - our defence isn't that good right now, it has some pieces but no real sizzle or true number 1. Bieksa and Hamhuis are the closest things to that but Bieksa and the infirmary are too familiar, and Hamhuis is good all around but not real good offensively. Edler is our best hope for this and hopefully the new coach can get the best from him, last year he was just awful.

Edler and probably Hamhuis will man the points most often. Remember that debacle last season where the Sedins set Hammer up like 3 wide-open shots in a row on a pp and he wiffed on them all? Wowzers. Not Hammer's strength. But he's our best guy now and one of our best ever. Reeeespect.

yeah I remember that really well actually haha. but I think that with a real powerplay strategy this year, everyone should be working together like clockwork again.

I don't think it would be that difficult for a defender to accumulate 33 points when you play in offensive situations only, against easy competition, with a shit load of powerplay time. I mean... how the fuck can you ONLY get 33 points in that type of situation?

Sbisa has come into the line up as Garrison left and Sbisa puts up on average 15-20 points a season. So assuming he will continue that trend, realistically it's only around 15 points that have to be made up. If Edler returns to his former self even somewhat, most of those points will be accounted for. I believe it's also a pretty safe bet they'll be recovered by committee.

We are talking a forward group that was holed by injury most of last year. A team that has operated without a 2nd line for pretty much 3 years now. Correct the forward groups offensive production and points will accumulate to the d-core as well. Willie D is talking puck possession and speed, I realize all coaches talk that way, which means the first pass coming out of the d-zone is ultra important. IMO, more important than a PMD. Do not have a handle on Sbisa's game but the rest of the d-core have pretty decent passing.

As some have mentioned Stanton should be watched. Prior to his injury he was 2nd in rookie scoring last season. He doesn't have the booming shot but his shot does seem to get through to the net. He handles the puck well out on the point and does generate offense there.

As with the forwards I hope the d-core also has TOI split more evenly. Hoping that the 3rd D pairing gets 15-17 minutes per game. Also hope no forwards get more than 20 minutes. Prefer 18 minutes max. This is not a CUP contending roster so spread the minutes and rotate the youth through the season. Possibly move a vet or two come March trade deadline and the Canucks will go into 2015-16 in decent shape.

Yeah I dunno how our D will shake out.

I think we have 5 spots locked up & 3 players competing for the last spot.

Hamhuis Tanev

Edler ?

Stanton Bieksa

Sbisa, Weber & Sanguinetti competing for the last spot. It's not going to be Corrado, he was among the worst D to play in the NHL last year, serious regression from the previous season.

Sbisa would seem to be the best bet, but I've heard he struggled bad playing his offside for the Ducks & Edler has played his best when he has a mobile puck mover on the right side.

Hamhuis & Tanev both have underrated passing ability so they may be able to pu up some assists.

Edler should be able to fill Garrison's point void, ideally getting more.

Bieksa and the 6th defenseman should be able to produce quite a bit (unless the 6th D-Man is Stanton).

Sbisa may get some points too.

sorry im not sure how any of you think hamhuis or tanev have any offensive ability because they dont. they have great positional play and defensive ability but. in all reality my wrist shot is harder than tanevs i think weber edler and bieska will be good on pp but unless sbisa has a huge shot our 2nd unit pp is in real trouble again

The thing you don't seem to get is that defenceman get points just from being on the ice when other people do the scoring. It's not like most defenceman are leading the rush, creating plays, getting first assists, and scoring goals. If you're a starter you'll get points, and they will be reflective of how good the forwards are doing.

Too many people over-rate points from defenceman on this site. A lot of the goals they get are flukes where the goalie gets screened, or the defenceman is left wide open, it's the PP, etc. Because dmen get fewer points compared to forwards their point totals have to be taken with a grain of salt. A lucky 2 goal game or 3 point night can radically alter a defenseman's stats.

Tanev went from 2, to 7 to 17 points and is taking on a more active role each year. This year he will probably come to camp as a beast in terrific shape. 28 - 30 points is definitely not our of the question if you're paying attention.

Regarding Hamhuis you are 100% out to lunch. Hamhuis' point totals in his 9 NHL seasons:

How on earth you don't think he has any talent or he's not going to contribute is ludicrous and ignorant. If you intend to grasp baseless ideas out of thin air and then type them into a quote here you might want to a do a sensibility test like most of us. Open a google screen, type Hamhuis Stats, and then this wonderful thing called the internet will tell you all about it. :)

Ummm no, and how does this post have two pluses? PMD are key for helping forwards get more points, you can't expect our forwards to start all the plays in there own zone. Look at any successful NHL team and chances are you'll find a very good puck moving Dman. LA has Doughty, Chicago has Keith, Boston has Chara and Hamilton, even the 2011 Canucks had Ehroff. Expecting our defence to 'naturally' get points makes about as much sense as expecting the Sedins to become enforcers.

Take a look at all the defenseman's stats in the NHL, tell me what you see and then make that statement again. What you'll find is that defenceman of all types put up points all over the league. There are only so many Daughty's, Chara's, and Weber's in the league. They are great to have but not many teams have them and while they are invaluable to a few teams goals are scored predominantly by forwards.

You said it yourself, the forward doesn't start the play out of the zone, the defence does. If you score, Voila, assist for doing the basics of your job. If what you say is true how did we have over 100 points come from our defence when we have zero puck moving defenceman (you don't seem to know what those are either)?

You must not quite get how hockey works if you don't understand how defenceman naturally get points.

Well Garrison was also a minus 5 for his +/- ..... so that's a start. The Vcr PP was miserable last season .. with Garrison .. we just need an improvment in that area alone and the team will make the Play-off. If Vcr gets back to it's previous PP numbers and wins a couple more of the shoot out ( Bonino and Vrbada suppose to be good ) then I don't see a problem. The shock to me would be failing to make the play-offs ......if we fail then the problem is a lot deeper than we thought

yeah or who's going to miss the net on the PP every single time. or who's going to be so slow they get beaten to the out side on a nightly basics or who's going to thrown the six soft body checks he delivered.

garrison won't be missed... not even a little.

yeah or who's going to miss the net on the PP every single time. or who's going to be so slow they get beaten to the out side on a nightly basics or who's going to thrown the six soft body checks he delivered.

garrison won't be missed... not even a little.

This is pretty much it. On a smaller contract, I think Garrison would have been fine. Most nights he played like a decent bottom pairing defender with the ability to play some power-play minutes. He was expected to do too much, and was paid too much for what he brings. He's basically one of those "okay at most things, great at nothing" players.

His skating isn't terrible, but it's slow and choppy enough that he gets beaten a lot. His shot is really hard, but wildly inaccurate. He's got a solid frame, but really doesn't play physical. He's not terrible in his own end, but he's not good enough to be a pure shut-down player either.

For what he's being paid, he won't be missed. If Sbisa can find his game, he's a much more attractive option going forward.

Considering how bad his defence was his 33 points may as well have 15-20. We blew more then a few 3rd period leads. We are going to have to win ugly 2-1 or 3-2 games.

We need our defence to stop being swiss cheese and giving up 3 on 1's or 2 on 1's. I'm not as worried about offence as most. Our D worries me.

This is pretty much it. On a smaller contract, I think Garrison would have been fine. Most nights he played like a decent bottom pairing defender with the ability to play some power-play minutes. He was expected to do too much, and was paid too much for what he brings. He's basically one of those "okay at most things, great at nothing" players.

His skating isn't terrible, but it's slow and choppy enough that he gets beaten a lot. His shot is really hard, but wildly inaccurate. He's got a solid frame, but really doesn't play physical. He's not terrible in his own end, but he's not good enough to be a pure shut-down player either.

For what he's being paid, he won't be missed. If Sbisa can find his game, he's a much more attractive option going forward.

This. He was one of those guys that had 1 good season and got the contract.

Remember that debacle last season where the Sedins set Hammer up like 3 wide-open shots in a row on a pp and he wiffed on them all? Wowzers. Not Hammer's strength. But he's our best guy now and one of our best ever. Reeeespect.

Like a thorn in my mind.

Archived