The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal/discussion) #1 Center and #1 D prospects/rookies

So Janisahockeynut gave me a good idea in the "holes in our prospect pool" thread. Trading for a future 1st center and #1 d.

What do you guys think it would take to get a #1 d and centre prospect or rookie. What would be the template for a trade like this be and would you do it or would it be worth it?

What are some prospects and rookie centers and d we could trade for?

Would it be something like these?

D rookie: 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick, roster player, roster player, prospect= 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick, Hansen, Mathias, Cassels/gaunce

Centre rookie: 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, roster player and prospect: 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, Alex Burrows/Ryan Stanton, Nicklas Jensen

Is this close to what could get it done?

If that would be the price for one of these types of prospects would it be worth it?

MAYBE some of the players we could get:

#1 centre:

Saad

Teravainen

Ryan Strome

Bjugstad

Barkov

Kunetzov

Hertl

Brayden Schenn

Scott Laughton

Couturier

Wennberg

Lazar

Grigerenko

Pétan

Domi

Khokhlachlev

#1 d:

Griffen Reinhart

Jared tinordi

Samuel morin

Dalton thrower

Ryan Pulock

Ceci

Ryan Murphy

Morrissey

Brandon gormley

Dumba

Derrick pouliot

Nathan beaulieu

Trouba

Murray

Who would you want most.

I would say:

Griffen Reinhart to Van for a 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick, Hansen, Mathias, Cassels, Markstrom

Khokhachlev and a cap dump player to Van for 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, Alex Burrows/Ryan Stanton (retain 15-30% of their cap), Nicklas Jensen

Ummm I don't recall saying that those ppl would for sure get a trade done for any of those prospects I just said is that close to or what could get a trade like that done.

Let's not forget the Seguin trade....

If I am not mistaken it was:

Boston traded: Seguin AND Peverley AND d prospect Ryan button

For

Dallas: Loui Erikson and prospects Reilly Smith (who looks like he has the potential to be a 2nd liner atleast in the future), joe morrow and Matt Fraser

I know the trades aren't that similar but based off this the trades up there aren't that off??? Are they??

I wonder what Grigorenko's value is at the moment. Back in the winter Grigorenko refused to report to the AHL (I think). Buffalo fans were thinking he was a "flight risk" and were thinking a 2nd round pick would be enough compensation in a trade. I'd assume his value has gone up since as he did play in the AHL at the end of the season.

Maybe a prospect swap of Jensen for Grigorenko, with a quality pick going their way as well?

Also, how would people feel if we were to trade Horvat, our most promising centre, for an equally promising defenseman? Something like Horvat for Pouliot?

Ummm I don't recall saying that those ppl would for sure get a trade done for any of those prospects I just said is that close to or what could get a trade like that done.

Let's not forget the Seguin trade....

If I am not mistaken it was:

Boston traded: Seguin AND Peverley AND d prospect Ryan button

For

Dallas: Loui Erikson and prospects Reilly Smith (who looks like he has the potential to be a 2nd liner atleast in the future), joe morrow and Matt Fraser

I know the trades aren't that similar but based off this the trades up there aren't that off??? Are they??

The reasons Boston traded Seguin,

1) They have an aversion to skilled players with questionable defensive skills. (Thornton, Kessel, Seguin all went on to ppg players)

2) They had two top 6 centers in Bergeron and Krejci

3) They expected to contend and Eriksson was the kind of player that fit the Bruins mentality (ie. two way player)

4) They wanted to move a natural center for a a natural winger (related to 2)

5) Seguin had questionable work ethic (like most 21 years old do but Bruins were not willing to wait)

Basically the Bruins being a contender whose cup window is now impatiently moved off a potential #1 center, partially because they already had 2 top 6 centers and thought they were strengthening their lineup with adding a natural winger in Eriksson who was known for his excellent two way game. Eriksson was still young enough in comparison to Boston's core while Seguin was a younger player who like most young players liked to party and was in many ways immature. It was basically the perfect storm for a Seguin trade as Boston felt they could not wait long enough for Seguin to mature and fulfill his potential as their cup window is directly tied to Chara's age (who is 37 by the way).

Good luck finding someone willing to move a guy like Seguin. And even if you do, Vancouver does not have an asset like Loui Eriksson was at that point in time, a player who was still young enough to fit the core but was also a developed player where as Seguin was still developing.

Many of the guys that you have listed are also not potential #1s or extremely long shots to become #1s. What you have offered for Khokhachlev is a huge overpayment as he is unlikely to become a #1C. That Reinhart trade the Isles would never do. Most teams with potential #1 centers like a Barkov/Lindholm/Reinhart won't trade them without demanding a massive franchise altering overpayment. Hence it is best to just try to draft your own #1 center and #1 D as you won't be getting one without massive overpayment.

Theres no need to go trading for it for it now. All the players that you mentioned would probably cost the farm. The thing about how prospect pool is, it is actually pretty damn good. We just lack the 1 or 2 sure fire stud players on top. Bo Horvat and Jake Virtanen are great, but they are probably second liners, maybe low end first liners. I'm totally happy with that. I say wait it out and see how the current roster performs. If we are out of playoff contention than do everything we can to try and get Matthew Barzal. As it looks right now, he should be around Ryan Nugent-Hopkins good, maybe even a bit faster and stronger, but this years draft is so deep at the top end, he might not even go top 5. He could go anywhere from like 3-8, but he would be the perfect fit for us.

Besides, after next year, we will begin to have a pretty good understanding of what our defensive prospects bring and we can see how dire we are to go after that number 1 future defencman. Who knows, maybe even Edler can bounce back and be the number 1 defencman Linden believes he can be. He's still young so we are in really no rush if that happens, but finding a replacement for the Sedins in the near future, should be priority number 1.

Do you really believe Jensen, Cassels, Matthias and Burrows is unwanted pile of garbage? And 1-3 round picks are always valuable.

They are fungible players. In a cap world they have little value. You can pick them up cheaply in UFA without giving up assets. Burrows has negative value. Jensen has some value, but you can trade 10 Jensen's and not get an elite talent.

Elite talent require giving up elite talent, not a bunch of fungible players.

Archived