The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You just proved a lot of Canucks fans' point!

The Blue Jays have a blue jay logo, not the CN Tower!

The Predators have a prehistoric tiger logo where it's bones were found in the Tennessee area, not a country guitar!

The Sharks have a shark logo, not a micro chip from the Silicon Valley!

That's the point. If the Canucks want to use an animal on their logo, then truly reflect that logo by changing the name of the team! A Canuck is not a whale or any other animal. If they want to keep the Canuck name, show a logo that reflects it. Be it the Stink in Rink, the Skate, the Johnny Canuck or a completely new logo (maybe the teams' initials like the Yankees).

By your own logic, then, they shouldn't use the Stick in Rink as that doesn't have anything to do with a "Canuck"?

At least an orca has more recognizable association with the west coast than a hockey rink (which are everywhere).

But, as I think some others have said, the issue is in part due to the name (linking anything specific and universal to the name "Canuck" is virtually impossible). If you look at the classics in Montreal, Toronto, even Edmonton the logos are designed around the name (with the leaf thrown in for Toronto which is logical).

I like the Stick in Rink as it is the original. The Johnny Canuck (and the myriad of variations) just looks too cartoonish for me (remind anyone of the BC cartoon rip-off logo of the BCHL?).

Hi, Alf!

Sorry for getting your knickers in a knot! You sounded like some geek hidden in a dark room with your laptop on BC Day!

Again my apologies!

It's great to hear you brought you laptop to the lake! I left mine at home, where it belongs on a gorgeous BC holiday! Oh, I'm 43, by the way.

Thank you for wishing me luck on my "crusade"! Lol!!! Yes, I may be destined for disappointment. But disappointment may come for you, as well. Or for, both of us!

Yes, you're right in saying "it doesn't matter how a gift is wrapped, it's what's inside that counts".

Yep, we said that about the Flying Vs in 82! Again, in 94 with the Speeding Skate! And finally, in 11 with the Orca!

You're totally wrong on your assessment about me! I am a very, well liked & humble fellow! As well, you should very well know two wrongs don't make a right! You got me going on your previous post & really don't care what you have to say about justifying the orca logo. Sorry, you won't change my mind.

Just wanted to send one post to express my right to voice my opinion, just like you have the right to your opinion! I respect that!

What I don't respect is, you & other Orcans, trying to force feed me your BS justifications & research in keeping the Orca as the Canucks primary logo!

My point is to see that the Canucks have a logo that truly identifies them about the city & hockey!

I & many others, like Don Taylor on Team 1040, believe in a logo that does not use an animal to represent a Canuck & hold steadfast to that belief!

You believe in the Orca, representing the identity of the Canucks! That's your opinion & that's fine!

Lets agree to disagree! We'll see what the Canucks ownership & management will do!

Cheers & go Canucks go!

FYI my post took just over 60 seconds. Thank you, very much!

Jeez man do you ever stop making assumptions? The laptop was the boat's laptop. It belongs to my brother. Sorry to disappoint you once more. Have a nice day.

What makes a good logo? IMO, something simple, clear, timeless. (I guess this explains my preference for the stick in rink.)

To be honest the best one's IMO are more crests than animals/characters etc. Montreal, Toronto, Boston and New York probably have some of the best "classic" ones (Detroit's/Chicago's are pretty good too if a bit busy for my liking).

For non-original six, Buffalo's is actually not bad IMO and for teams who've recently updated theirs, both L.A. and Winnipeg did a really good job IMO.

Perhaps our problem is that it's hard to nail down what a "Canuck" is/should look like or with such a diverse population and no prime industry to associate the area with, we lack a singular "identity" so many other cities have.

Further to that ^^^, I'd honestly rather see something like this:

15hohmr.jpg

A clean, simple crest with our team initials and no reference to whales, lumberjacks, pilots etc. Pays slight homage to the "V" jerseys, the round shape of the "flying skate" crest, The "C" of the orca and sticks with our original (and current) "stick in rink" colours.

Of course that will make all the "we're not changing it again" whiners come out :lol:

Further to that ^^^, I'd honestly rather see something like this:

15hohmr.jpg

A clean, simple crest with our team initials and no reference to whales, lumberjacks, pilots etc. Pays slight homage to the "V" jerseys, the round shape of the "flying skate" crest, The "C" of the orca and sticks with our original (and current) "stick in rink" colours.

Of course that will make all the "we're not changing it again" whiners come out :lol:

This concept needs a lot more work...

This concept needs a lot more work...

I made it in like 5 minutes ;)

Spent another 2 revising it change the overlap (which I think is an improvement).

2zsacmr.jpg

Edit: Besides, I'm not saying it has to be THAT ^^^, just trying to illustrate what I was saying earlier with "clean, simple" etc.

Lol!!! Dude, you need to chill out!

I'm man enough to apologize and still you don't want to bury the hatchet! Fine, that's your problem & your own disappointment. Ain't going to lose sleep over my one & only "erroneous" assumption of you!

When I go boating, I go & do what normal boaters do...

... fishing, crabbing, beach combing , partying, watching the fireworks, sun tanning, etc.

You want to use a laptop on your brother's boat that's your entitlement. That's cool, bro! It's a free country!

Good day to you, sir!

Sorry, but you're wrong. The current Orca logo for the Canucks is not even close to being top 5 logos in the NHL.

Current Orca Canuck logo ranking compared to the 30 NHL teams:

17th on the Bleacher Report

13th on Sportsnet

27th on The Hockey News

FYI on The Hockey News poll on the Canuck logo preference voted by 2,544 respondents:

42% for the Stick in Rink

26% for the Skate

23% for the Current Orca

9% for the Original Orca

You do know it's possible to both admire orcas as beautiful, powerful animals and think it's a crappy hockey team logo at the same time, right?

Yes

The Johny Canuck while nice is a ECHL jersey at best........ nuff said

Disagree.

I kind of like J.R.'s VC logo... Although I'm on the record as thinking less is more..... stick and rink is the best logo. Traditional. Go with it and stick with it like the Habs, Wings and Hawks.

Less IS more. That's why the most iconic logos are the most simple. Think Canadiens, NY Yankees etc.

I agree. Orca looks good in the ocean & on the Vancouver Aquarium sign!

Orca doesn't belong on the Canuck jersey. Looks misplaced.

As well, two things I noticed,...

Firstly, the current Current Orca logo doesn't have the team colours of blue & green. Why is that? Most, if not almost all the NHL teams logos have their respective team colours on it!

Secondly, the next time you walk into Rogers Arena to catch a Canuck game, take a look way up at all those banners of those division, conference, President's Trophy & retired numbers! Not one of them, shows the Orca logo! Hmmm... Interesting! Why is that?

All the other NHL teams' varying champion banners have their team logos on them! Why not the Canucks? Sounds like the Aquillinis have a Canuck identity crisis on their hands & are trying to figure out a way of fixing it.

I'm for Stick in Rink as the primary & Skating Johnny Canuck as the secondary! They look way better than the silly orca.

Lol!!! Dude, you need to chill out!

I'm man enough to apologize and still you don't want to bury the hatchet! Fine, that's your problem & your own disappointment. Ain't going to lose sleep over my one & only "erroneous" assumption of you!

When I go boating, I go & do what normal boaters do...

... fishing, crabbing, beach combing , partying, watching the fireworks, sun tanning, etc.

You want to use a laptop on your brother's boat that's your entitlement. That's cool, bro! It's a free country!

Good day to you, sir!

You need to get a life or a pen pal dude, you've written a tome on a jersey logo. For what it's worth you actually sound like the next time you go boating will be your first.

Oh and the Orca stays.

Archived