The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It was that Seattle billionaire McCaw & his orca bay yesmen, who had no respect for the Canucks' history or their identity, who brought in the current orca logo.

You are wrong. Orca Bay Entertainment and Sports was created by Griffiths as the parent company of the Canucks, Grizzlies, and GM Place. The Canucks uniform change was in the works prior to McCaw buying in and it was Quinn in charge of it. McCaw bought 49% of the team the same year the Orca jersey came in. As majority owner Griffiths still had final say on everything. Sorry but it was Griffiths and Quinn that ushered in the Orca logo.

I only made reference of the Winnipeg Jets because of the parties involved in designing the logos & jerseys, being the team, the NHL & the designer.

That being said, I know the WHL Canucks used the Johnny Canuck logo for only a couple of years on their jerseys. It was still their logo, eventhough they did not use it.

Correct, the NHL Canucks in 1970 chose (not change) the Stink in Rink logo rather than adopting the Johnny Canuck logo.

Johnny Canuck might have been gimmicky back then, but I think the times are different now. I strongly believe the Skating Johnny Canuck would work well today and be a complete success on & off the ice.

Of course, Trevor's first concern is the on ice product that goes without saying.

I'm sure the Orca logo they wear would be in Trevor's top 4 priorities as president. He is the intelligent & market savvy to sense a discord amongst the fan base about the current orca logo. I'm sure he's heard his fair share of discontent & read about it on the media. Yeah, he said they're looking into the possibilities of using Johnny Canuck. And he's on record saying that his favorite jersey is the Stick in Rink.

Something is in the works, it's not happening this year, but possibly within the next 2 years it will happen.

Except there is no discord amongst the fan base. There is a few differing opinions on here.

Out of 209 people 39 people wanted Johnny Canuck. and out of "56" people half wanted to keep the Orca. What you have done is to impregnate your own bias into a situation that doesn't exist in reality.

Just how many fans would you estimate we have? I would guess more than 200+

You will always get the change for change sake disease on here and there is no doubt that we have our share of people like that. Too many for our own good I suspect, most who need to get a life.

I have played along with this thread because I wanted to learn something new (Photoshop lite) but at the end of the day we have a great and recognisable (throughout the world) logo and a fantastic colour scheme ALL mirroring the BC/Vancouver area.

Now we need to get going on the ice and hopefully realise our Stanley Cup dream.

The green is clearly touching the blue on the home jersey. It's the exact same striping as the current third, which has green on blue and looks muddied and awful

I don't think so. Here is a blow up that wouldn't even be full size and if you still can't see the white on both sides of the green "V" then I can't help you.

QvyVBDi.jpg

You are wrong. Orca Bay Entertainment and Sports was created by Griffiths as the parent company of the Canucks, Grizzlies, and GM Place. The Canucks uniform change was in the works prior to McCaw buying in and it was Quinn in charge of it. McCaw bought 49% of the team the same year the Orca jersey came in. As majority owner Griffiths still had final say on everything. Sorry but it was Griffiths and Quinn that ushered in the Orca logo.

Good morning, Baggins!

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you based on facts. Before you start saying that I'm spewing nonsense. I did some digging on the internet and found relevant information. Information on past sports articles quoted from The Province & The Vancouver Sun concerning the ownership & the orca logo, that is contrary to what you're saying.

GRIFFITHS OPTS OUT OF ORCA BAY AS MCCAW TAKE OVER INTEREST

Published November 13, 1996

Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment Chair John McCaw has

purchased all remaining shares in Orca Bay held by VP Arthur

Griffiths, officially ending the Griffiths family's 22 years of

sports ownership in Vancouver. Orca Bay owns the Canucks,

Grizzlies and GM Place. Griffiths will remain with the company

as Orca Bay Vice Chair and serve as Alternate Governor for both

the NHL and NBA. Griffiths will also continue to chair the

Canuck Place Board and serve as a Director on the Canuck

Foundation and Grizzlies Foundation boards (Orca Bay). Griffiths

said it was his decision to sell, calling it in the "best

interest of myself and the business." Griffiths: "I went to John

and asked him to buy me out. It was not something he wanted to

do." McCaw now owns 100% of the Grizzlies and GM Place and

assumes responsibility of about C$120M of debt on GM Place. He

also owns 72% with the right to acquire another 14% of Northwest

Sports Enterprises, which owns the Canucks. The remaining 14% of

the Canucks is owned by Art Rennison (Paul Chapman, Vancouver

PROVINCE, 11/13). McCaw had taken over majority control of Orca

Bay from Griffiths in March '95 and his ownership percentage has

"steadily increased" (Howard Tsumura, Vancouver PROVINCE, 11/13).

Archie McDonald of the VANCOUVER SUN writes Griffiths' share in

the Canucks had recently shrunk to "about" 10% (VANCOUVER SUN,

11/13).

In a timeline sense:

March 1995 - McCaw buys 51% & majority control of the organization from Griffiths & forms the Northwest Entertainment Group

August 22, 1995 - Northwest Entertainment Group is rebranded as Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment

November 12, 1996 - McCaw assumes full control & ownership of Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment. Griffiths stays on in a figure head capacity.

May 1997 - the orca logo is introduced as the new Canuck logo. According to Jim Jamieson of The Province dated April 30, 1997, a Vancouver TV station (maybe BCTV or CKVU Sports Page) conducted a telephone poll that resulted in a 78% disapproval rating for the new Orca logo for the Canucks.

So saying that Griffiths was the majority owner of Orca Bay at that time is a falsehood & your facts are skewed. As well, does Quinn really have control over a logo change? He was an employee, he might have had some input. However if he had to pick a new logo at that time, he probably picked the best of the worst.

I'm sorry to say that, Baggins, but it's the truth. You or anyone else can go and check out the facts for yourselves.

Baggins, I strongly suggest you read this.....

http://www.lcshockey.com/issues/57/feature10.asp

Except there is no discord amongst the fan base. There is a few differing opinions on here.

Out of 209 people 39 people wanted Johnny Canuck. and out of "56" people half wanted to keep the Orca. What you have done is to impregnate your own bias into a situation that doesn't exist in reality.

You will always get the change for change sake disease on here and there is no doubt that we have our share of people like that. Too many for our own good I suspect, most who need to get a life.

I have played along with this thread because I wanted to learn something new (Photoshop lite) but at the end of the day we have a great and recognisable (throughout the world) logo and a fantastic colour scheme ALL mirroring the BC/Vancouver area.

Now we need to get going on the ice and hopefully realise our Stanley Cup dream.

Alfstonker, first of all, great, great work on the Johnny Canuck concepts.

As for Canucks Nation, it goes far and beyond the message boards on the Canucks' official website. Just about every poll on Canuck logos has the Orca logo ranked below the Stick 'n Rink and Streaking Skate logos. If a hockey sweater crest were to represent where the Canucks play, it should not go beyond a V logo and/or colour scheme. The royal blue, kelly green, and white already do that. I love and appreciate Native art like so many other people. However, it is Tourism Vancouver's job to market the region's Native art to the world, not the Canucks. That's unless they change the name to "Orcas".

Speaking of a team called the "Orcas", this would be perfect for an NBA franchise, should pro basketball return to Vancouver. I mentioned this in a previous post. The team can use the Grizzlies' old colours. Black and white for the Orca, turquoise for the marine waters off of B.C.'s coast, and red for being a Canadian-based franchise. Like the Grizzlies, Haida-themed trimming can work too. Basketball players, like orcas, can also leap a lot higher than hockey players, lol. There! Perfect!!

The Canucks go back to their true roots of the Stick 'n Rink and Johnny Canuck brand and the Orca brand gets moved over to the sometime-in-the-future NBA club. It is the compromise of all compromises.

When I talk about discord, I'm talking about the current Orca logo. Discord & different opinions, I believe is one & the same.

We are all passionate for the Canucks to be successful & to do well! No question.

Everyone has their biases, like my own & like yours.

The Orca logo is a flawed logo & has been since it's inception. As pointed out at that time:

CANUCKS NEW LOGO GETS PIRATED AND PUT ON THE WEB

Published May 1, 1997

The Canucks were "chagrined" to find their new team

logo -- which, along with a new uniform design, was to be

unveiled later this month -- had been posted on the Internet

and that a Vancouver TV station broadcast a rendering of the

new logo, according to Jim Jamieson of the VANCOUVER

PROVINCE. The logo was "likely leaked by one of the NHL's

licensed suppliers" and parent company Orca Bay "has

imprinted its own image on the original component in what

has become Seattle billionaire John McCaw's sports empire."

The new blue and green logo features a "stylized" letter C

with the top portion transforming into a killer whale. A TV

phone poll had 78% of its respondents disapproving the new

logo (VANCOUVER PROVINCE, 4/30).

The percentages may have changed since then, but the majority of Canucks fans still want to see the Canucks get rid of the Orca logo. Because it is a flawed misrepresentation of the Canucks. Your talking about a poll survey of just over 200, which is a tiny misty droplet in the bucket.

The Hockey News poll last I checked, 54% for stick in rink logo vs 12% for the current orca logo, out of 2,544 respondents.

Of course, we have to agree to disagree. It is not a great logo. Yes, it is recognisable logo only to knowledgeable hockey fans around the world. And probably half of them think that a Canuck is a whale, for crying out loud! Which is a misconceived notion & quite frankly insulting. A Canuck is not an orca or any other animal for that matter.

The only thing that's right is the blue & green colour, which is not in the freaking orca logo itself.

As far has having a life, all of us do including you. We all have our different pleasures.

As well, I commend you on your artwork! It is well done & way better than the current farcical Orca logo.

Like PJ mentioned earlier, here is more proof of Arthur Griffiths's dwindling ownership of the Canucks before the Orca Bay put its corporate "fins" on the Canucks' brand.....

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/columnists/story.html?id=456d1582-731c-4891-8b49-17bd2208708a

5 CAREER HIGHLIGHTS FOR ARTHUR GRIFFITHS

1. 1981: At the age of 24, Griffiths signs on as his father's assistant at Northwest Sports Enterprises, owner of the Vancouver Canucks. In 1992, Northwest buys property on the old Expo 86 lands and plans to build a 20,000-seat arena for $100 million.

2. 1994: Griffiths acquires rights to an NBA franchise from Northwest and then, with sister Emily and John McCaw of Seattle, acquires arena and hockey team.

3. 1995: Griffiths is unable to maintain a controlling position due to burden of financing three major sports assets. Seattle businessman John McCaw acquires 60% interest. That figures soon increases to 80%.

4. September, 1995: GM Place officially opens. Grizzlies make their debut, but in 1996, Griffiths sells his remaining interest to McCaw, ending the Griffiths family's 22-year investment in Vancouver's professional sports scene.

5. 1998-2006: Begins a successful drive to bring the 2010 Olympics to B.C., in turn develops other business interests, including a stint in radio. In February, he joins Infotec Business Systems Inc. as chief executive officer and director.

Just to point out, Griffiths and then-president and GM Pat Quinn did have plans to change the Streaking Skate logo when the team moved downtown. When Arthur had his old Business of Sports radio show on CKLG 73 several years ago, he stated that the plan was to go with an updated Johnny Canuck logo in the Skate colours. Griffiths and Quinn felt that the Canucks needed a crest that defined the history of the team name. The Canucks jersey video narrator did say that Pat Quinn wanted "West Coast colours, no more Halloween". The video did not say that Quinn wanted a West Coast logo. Just the colours.

Just look at the Canucks' ugly scenario during that time:

Majority owner and Seattle-based, John McCaw and Orca Bay CEO and "McCaw's Yes Man", Stan McCammon:

They wanted the Orca brand on the Canucks' identity. McCammon, by the way, knew absolutely nothing about hockey and was always butting heads with the hockey department.

Minority owner and local-based, Arthur Griffiths and Canucks president and GM, Pat Quinn:

They wanted Johnny Canuck.

When the majority talks, the minority either listens or they can make sure the door doesn't hit them on the way out.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/1995/03/8/Franchises/GRIFFITHS-SELLS-MAJORITY-OF-VANCOUVER-SPORTS-EMPIRE-TO-MCCAW.aspx?hl=Griffiths%20sells%20shares&sc=0

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/1997/03/3/Franchises/UNIFORM-NEWS-NOTES-CANUCKS-EYEING-NEW-LOOK-AND-NAME.aspx?hl=New%20Canucks%20logo&sc=0

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/1997/05/1/Franchises/CANUCKS-NEW-LOGO-GETS-PIRATED-AND-PUT-ON-THE-WEB.aspx?hl=Canucks%20unveil%20orca%20logo&sc=0

We could go right back into our history with our WHL jerseys

preview_793_41704.jpg

I always wondered how those jerseys would look by just replacing the red with green and having the Skating Johnny Canuck instead of the basketball-style number on the front. Similar to what the St. Louis Blues had from '84 to '87. I wasn't too crazy about those mid 80's jerseys, though. Their font was too big and the Blue Note crest was too small.

Perhaps, a curved team name, not the city name, with JC could work for the Canucks. Use a block font with a green border and we could have something distinctive without being over-the-top.

I always wondered how those jerseys would look by just replacing the red with green and having the Skating Johnny Canuck instead of the basketball-style number on the front. Similar to what the St. Louis Blues had from '84 to '87. I wasn't too crazy about those mid 80's jerseys, though. Their font was too big and the Blue Note crest was too small.

Perhaps, a curved team name, not the city name, with JC could work for the Canucks. Use a block font with a green border and we could have something distinctive without being over-the-top.

That's something I've been thinking about too. Combine the Johnny Canuck WHL jersey and this one. With the color change I think it might be a good looking jersey. It will have history behind it.

Edit. Found something like this.

brian_brideau_Canucks_Alt3.jpg

Wrong Johnny and not a huge fan off the off white but it looks decent

That's something I've been thinking about too. Combine the Johnny Canuck WHL jersey and this one. With the color change I think it might be a good looking jersey. It will have history behind it.

Edit. Found something like this.

brian_brideau_Canucks_Alt3.jpg

Wrong Johnny and not a huge fan off the off white but it looks decent

Better than what the Canucks have now.

This is what I'm talking about with only a few corrections:

1. Shrink Johnny just enough to accommodate both the wordmark and the captain's C and alternate captain's A. Plus, it looks less cluttering.

2. Replace the 'VANCOUVER' with 'CANUCKS'.

3. Return to the traditional block-style font and add a green border.

4. Add green to the collar.

5. Widen the white stripes.

canucks_jersey.jpg

i'm probably in the minority but i prefer the old style johnny with an updated color shading. i just think it has a classic look. and is big enough to be seen from the upper bowl. and hey agoork, i'm a bit of a caveman with technology . . . is there any chance you could take the logo from post #409 and put it onto the jerseys from post #408? i would really like to see that.

Doesn't matter old or new JC, just want to see the Canucks remove the Orca C logo off their branding.

Respected teams who have respectable jerseys keep their logo.

The orca is a part of BC. Our current jerseys look very good I don't think anybody who isn't still on summer break wants to change our jerseys YET AGAIN.

The only acceptable change would be the stick in rink with the same colours and even then.

For gods sake keep the orca forever. Build a brand.

The orca is a part of BC. Our current jerseys look very good I don't think anybody who isn't still on summer break wants to change our jerseys YET AGAIN.

The only acceptable change would be the stick in rink with the same colours and even then.

Yeah let's build a brand with an ugly logo for the sake of building a brand. Also, excellent point about how anyone disagreeing with you must be

kid, therefore invalidating anything they had to say.

This is what I'm talking about with only a few corrections:

1. Shrink Johnny just enough to accommodate both the wordmark and the captain's C and alternate captain's A. Plus, it looks less cluttering.

2. Replace the 'VANCOUVER' with 'CANUCKS'.

3. Return to the traditional block-style font and add a green border.

4. Add green to the collar.

5. Widen the white stripes.

canucks_jersey.jpg

Looks nice enough but I'm not sold on it as our main jersey.

Looks like a nice third jersey that would make money.

The stick in rink logo looks like a real logo. Good logo's don't need words imo.

Having the word Vancouver across the chest was a marketing ploy so people visiting Vancouver would be more entitled to buy something saying where they've been to visit. (remember they came out right around the olympics)

That newer stick in the rink is logo is simple in design (you can make it out from the nose bleeds), there are no words, and

it retains our great colours!

Like this seasons Canucks team, it's is a fresh take on an older team. The logo is old but new.

Respectable teams who have respected jerseys have respectable logos that make sense.

Orca is a part of BC, but it is not a Canuck.

Who is or is not on summer break has got nothing to do with what we're talking about here. Various people of all ages either like or dislike the Orca logo. I, myself, dislike it. Baggins likes it. My 15 year old godson dislikes it. You like it.

You & others want to keep the Orca, then I suggest that the Aquillinis change the nickname & rebrand the team to the (God forbid) Orcas.

Otherwise, if they want to keep the Canuck nickname, then bring back the Stick in Rink, the Skate, the Johnny Canuck or any new non-animalized logos.

The Orca logo is flawed & has been flawed from the beginning, if you read earlier posts. The time is ripe for the Aquilinis to correct it once and for all. Make things right for the Canuck brand.

You want to build a branding success? Then the Canucks should have a logo that makes sense! With sense comes full respect! The Orca logo has neither sense or full respect, inside and outside Vancouver.

Archived