The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah let's build a brand with an ugly logo for the sake of building a brand. Also, excellent point about how anyone disagreeing with you must be

kid, therefore invalidating anything they had to say.

I don't get the obsession with people wanting to build the brand. What's it to them?

I think they just don't want to buy new jerseys. It's not like we're going to run short of money for the team or anything or it affects fans financially, or makes them any less fans, or makes them appreciate the Canucks any less because we don't have an inconic brand.

The most respected teams and noticeable and successful brands have used the same logos for long periods of time. Sure they are adapted slightly but they are for the most part kept the same. What's it to me? I don't like cheering for a team that changes their look more than I change my underwear. It shows that the team has no roots and makes it look like there isn't enough substance so they have to come out with a new gimmick.

Which i don't mind if it is a third jersey or Millionairs, or say if they had the 94 jerseys for a game one day...but for god sakes please canucks management don't listen to the kids off their ridallin who need a new jersey to look at every five years. You cheapen the canucks franchise a little bit more every tiem.

But really...if the A.D.D. Canuck fan consumers keep bitching WAH WENEED SOMETHING NEW OMG ORCA SO LAME ITS ONLY A NATIVE ANIMAL OF BC WAAAHHHH GIVE US SOME SILLY CARTOON LUMBERJACK WAAAHH

and then they do it..

I will probably shed a few tears.

Yeah let's build a brand with an ugly logo for the sake of building a brand. Also, excellent point about how anyone disagreeing with you must be

kid, therefore invalidating anything they had to say.

I don't care if you think what I had to say was valid or not it's a known fact children have shorter attention spans and are less intelligent on average than adults so they try to make arguments based on beauty. It's a known fact children get bored of their shiny new toys after a few weeks and the parent has to surprise them with something new which they also get bored of and then want somethign else.

If you want to cry every year until daddy linden gets you a shiny new jersey to look at and cheapen the Canucks history that's your choice but in large I think most canucks fans disagree with you.

Why the Orca can be likeable?

I personally appreciate the Orca whale for the fluidity of the design without taking away from the distinct C - Visually it is appreciable. Obviously others would disagree, however, without being an art critique I would hope to believe most people do not view it as a visually hideous or unappealing stand-alone image.

The gripe seems to be regarding the symbolic nature of the Orca - and perhaps the disassociation people feel the orca has with its identity to the word Canuck, and more importantly, perhaps the unrelatedness the orca has to the Canucks as a team.

One perspective to amuse yourself with is that the Orca is not an artistic impression or a cartoonized version of a killer whale, it is actually haida art.

sgaanaI.jpg

Well so what? I knew that, its obvious.

Sure, but if we all think about where most have us come from and our ancestors have come from, it is quick to discern we are all benefactors of the once owned indigenous people of Canada's land. We ourselves may have not directly taken or occupied this land away from the indigenous people, however, nevertheless our ancestors have occupied, whether fairly or not, it does not matter; we are all fortunate benefactors. We are very fortunate to have been born in this aspect of the world where the land itself has much to offer. Whatever your opinion on aboriginal people is, it is hard to ignore that at once they were living an extremely sustainable way of life - not over exploiting nature for their gains, attempting to live synchronistically with their surrounds - to me that is an important Canadian value that ought to be intrinsic.

The orca is quite the integration of the these values, to me it represents where us Canadians came from - we do not have to be a descendant or even partial descendant of an aboriginal - but a strong part of their culture is ingrained in all of us. I do not want to jump into a political issue - but the recent aboriginal band that refused and denied the expansion of the oil pipeline - may be seen as an annoying financial-fiscal hurdle - however, I look at it as there is somebody out there protecting nature, protecting the trees...that to me is important, well fk I may have to pay a bit more in gasoline, but if it means that a tree that has been there longer than me and will be there even after I die gets to remain..then so be it. I would like to believe that the preservation of Canada as a natural country would be also important to all of its current inhabitants.

The orca itself may not mean "Canadian" or "Canuck" to you...and its not an obvious extrapolation either, however, its artistic association with haida art and the integration and commemoration of the initial occupants of this country isn't something that can be devalued.

Just my two cents, I am sure people will have their opinions and perspectives on this one, but feel free to discuss this openly.

I don't care if you think what I had to say was valid or not it's a known fact children have shorter attention spans and are less intelligent on average than adults so they try to make arguments based on beauty. It's a known fact children get bored of their shiny new toys after a few weeks and the parent has to surprise them with something new which they also get bored of and then want somethign else.

If you want to cry every year until daddy linden gets you a shiny new jersey to look at and cheapen the Canucks history that's your choice but in large I think most canucks fans disagree with you.

You werent even born yet or were still a toddler when they changed to the Orca correct?

The stick in the rink is the Canucks logo. Almost every franchise there is since expansion has their original logo in some form on their sweater. There has only been one other NHL franchise that has remained in place and move away from their original logo since . The Ducks.

Even they are bringing back their originals as their thirds. They never even replaced their logo. They just removed it.

The Ocra is the 4th incarnation of Canuck jersey. It has no special rights other than being the only one you personally grew up with. That itself entitles you to an opinion, not some statement of truth that applies to anyone else.

The Orca itself has no special meaning to Vancouver . Orcas are all up and down the pacific northwest. They dont all hang out in English Bay. It was brought in when the company Orca Bay bought the Canucks.

Try to keep some perspective in mind.

You werent even born yet or were still a toddler when they changed to the Orca correct?

The stick in the rink is the Canucks logo. Almost every franchise there is since expansion has their original logo in some form on their sweater. There has only been one other NHL franchise that has remained in place and move away from their original logo since . The Ducks.

Even they are bringing back their originals as their thirds. They never even replaced their logo. They just removed it.

The Ocra is the 4th incarnation of Canuck jersey. It has no special rights other than being the only one you personally grew up with. That itself entitles you to an opinion, not some statement of truth that applies to anyone else.

The Orca itself has no special meaning to Vancouver . Orcas are all up and down the pacific northwest. They dont all hang out in English Bay. It was brought in when the company Orca Bay bought the Canucks.

I grew up with the skate.

I just feel like every time they change the jersey it cheapens the history. We need to stick with something. I like the stick in rink and I like that we went to a colour scheme that is close to it. If there was something the canucks changed to that I would support it would be that. It wouldn't be much of a change since we use the thirds so much during the year and it was one of if not the original logo.

Creating somethign new like the johnny canuck design people are throwing around is in my opinion ridiculous. Not because it would look stupid but because we already have the most jerseys of any other team in such a short time frame and it cheapens Canucks Hockey and it's history.

You're absolutely right!

You should make a sepparate thread "Why the Orca is Canucks" Or somethign similar. That was a very well written and interesting piece definitely not meant to be buried in the mess of this thread. Maybe they'll put it on the front page of canucks.com

The orca is not a Canuck!

I grew up with the skate.

I just feel like every time they change the jersey it cheapens the history. We need to stick with something. I like the stick in rink and I like that we went to a colour scheme that is close to it. If there was something the canucks changed to that I would support it would be that. It wouldn't be much of a change since we use the thirds so much during the year and it was one of if not the original logo.

Creating somethign new like the johnny canuck design people are throwing around is in my opinion ridiculous. Not because it would look stupid but because we already have the most jerseys of any other team in such a short time frame and it cheapens Canucks Hockey and it's history.

The current Canucks brand was already cheapened by this current Orca logo!

A Canuck is not a whale.

The current Canucks brand was already cheapened by this current Orca logo!

A Canuck is not a whale.

1024px-Boston_Bruins.svg.png

zOMG GUYS A BRUIN ISNT A WHEEL!!!!! ZOMGZzoz0zoi!

Please, when school starts this year, please stay away from CDC. You need to study and learn how to hold more than one concept in your brain at the same time. A jersey isn't one dimensional is it? We've learnt here that you can have more than one idea on the same jersey...and here's the great thing son, you can even combine the starting letter of the team name with an aspect of the team or it's name or anything else that may not exactly be the definition of the word..there aren't set rules....and omg....hey ....maybe ...maybe that's .....what a logo is?...

But yea. Go to bed. It's past your bedtime.

Why the Orca can be likeable?

I personally appreciate the Orca whale for the fluidity of the design without taking away from the distinct C - Visually it is appreciable. Obviously others would disagree, however, without being an art critique I would hope to believe most people do not view it as a visually hideous or unappealing stand-alone image.

The gripe seems to be regarding the symbolic nature of the Orca - and perhaps the disassociation people feel the orca has with its identity to the word Canuck, and more importantly, perhaps the unrelatedness the orca has to the Canucks as a team.

One perspective to amuse yourself with is that the Orca is not an artistic impression or a cartoonized version of a killer whale, it is actually haida art.

sgaanaI.jpg

Well so what? I knew that, its obvious.

Sure, but if we all think about where most have us come from and our ancestors have come from, it is quick to discern we are all benefactors of the once owned indigenous people of Canada's land. We ourselves may have not directly taken or occupied this land away from the indigenous people, however, nevertheless our ancestors have occupied, whether fairly or not, it does not matter; we are all fortunate benefactors. We are very fortunate to have been born in this aspect of the world where the land itself has much to offer. Whatever your opinion on aboriginal people is, it is hard to ignore that at once they were living an extremely sustainable way of life - not over exploiting nature for their gains, attempting to live synchronistically with their surrounds - to me that is an important Canadian value that ought to be intrinsic.

The orca is quite the integration of the these values, to me it represents where us Canadians came from - we do not have to be a descendant or even partial descendant of an aboriginal - but a strong part of their culture is ingrained in all of us. I do not want to jump into a political issue - but the recent aboriginal band that refused and denied the expansion of the oil pipeline - may be seen as an annoying financial-fiscal hurdle - however, I look at it as there is somebody out there protecting nature, protecting the trees...that to me is important, well fk I may have to pay a bit more in gasoline, but if it means that a tree that has been there longer than me and will be there even after I die gets to remain..then so be it. I would like to believe that the preservation of Canada as a natural country would be also important to all of its current inhabitants.

The orca itself may not mean "Canadian" or "Canuck" to you...and its not an obvious extrapolation either, however, its artistic association with haida art and the integration and commemoration of the initial occupants of this country isn't something that can be devalued.

Just my two cents, I am sure people will have their opinions and perspectives on this one, but feel free to discuss this openly.

Here's my five bucks response.

My apologies for saying this, but you're really over thinking & over selling something that is not relevant. We're are simply talking about the nickname of our favorite local hockey team called the Canucks. I don't know why you are over complicating the issue.

You said that the Orca is not an artistic impression or a cartoonized version of a killer whale, it is actually haida art.

What are you talking about?

It is an orca, no matter how you slice the mumbo jumbo.

Sorry, but with all due respect, the Canuck symbol should not be symbolized by a whale or any other animal for that matter. I don't care about the unfluidity of the Orca birthing out of C logo because it is truly a misrepresentation of the Canuck brand. A Canuck brand in a large multicultural Canadian city called Vancouver.

If it is such a requirement to use Haida art on a Canuck logo, then I suggest designing a Haida stylized C or V logo without any animals jumping out of it.

If you & others want to justify an animal jumping out of the hockey team's logo, then the Canucks should change their nickname to reflect the identity of that animal.

You can put lipstick on a pig and call it anything you want, but I still see a pig.

Drew has completely lost it! Lol!!!

The Boston logo makes sense. There's the B with a design around it.

If Boston did a logo like what McCaw did with his Stupid Orca Logo for the Canucks, it would show a sperm whale jumping out through one of 2 loops of the B.

Drew would make sense of a Whale through the Boston B logo & still call them the Bruins! Lol!!!

1024px-Boston_Bruins.svg.png

zOMG GUYS A BRUIN ISNT A WHEEL!!!!! ZOMGZzoz0zoi!

Please, when school starts this year, please stay away from CDC. You need to study and learn how to hold more than one concept in your brain at the same time. A jersey isn't one dimensional is it? We've learnt here that you can have more than one idea on the same jersey...and here's the great thing son, you can even combine the starting letter of the team name with an aspect of the team or it's name or anything else that may not exactly be the definition of the word..there aren't set rules....and omg....hey ....maybe ...maybe that's .....what a logo is?...

But yea. Go to bed. It's past your bedtime.

I think you need your meds, dude!

How old are you, ya punk?

Go sell crazy to your orca loving humpback friends, we ain't buying it.

Here's my five bucks response.

My apologies for saying this, but you're really over thinking & over selling something that is not relevant. We're are simply talking about the nickname of our favorite local hockey team called the Canucks. I don't know why you are over complicating the issue.

You said that the Orca is not an artistic impression or a cartoonized version of a killer whale, it is actually haida art.

What are you talking about?

It is an orca, no matter how you slice the mumbo jumbo.

Sorry, but with all due respect, the Canuck symbol should not be symbolized by a whale or any other animal for that matter. I don't care about the unfluidity of the Orca birthing out of C logo because it is truly a misrepresentation of the Canuck brand. A Canuck brand in a large multicultural Canadian city called Vancouver.

If it is such a requirement to use Haida art on a Canuck logo, then I suggest designing a Haida stylized C or V logo without any animals jumping out of it.

If you & others want to justify an animal jumping out of the hockey team's logo, then the Canucks should change their nickname to reflect the identity of that animal.

You can put lipstick on a pig and call it anything you want, but I still see a pig.

There's absolutely no need to change the team name. C for Canucks. If we were to go back to the stick in rink would we need to change the team name to Vancouver Hockey Rinks? It's just plain silliness. The style of the current C is to rep where the team plays. Nothing more.

Way to go Drew. Tell it like it is. By the way my youngest brother is only 14 and he loves the Orca so do my young cousins.

Except the stick in rink would qualify as just about the most boring logo on the planet as far as most people are concerned. And they would be right.

I think you need your meds, dude!

How old are you, ya punk?

Go sell crazy to your orca loving humpback friends, we ain't buying it.

And it appears no one is buying your junk either PJ. If it ain't broke don't fix it

32 - 28 Keep the Orca

143 - 70 Don't use Johnny Canuck.

We have a winner!

Archived