The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You want to build a branding success? Then the Canucks should have a logo that makes sense!

Sticking with a logo builds branding success. Our current logo has been our longest serving logo. So why change it at this point? As a brand using the Orca our team has become one the most profitable and valuable franchises in the league. I hate to break it to you, brand success has already occurred here. Far beyond what the Griffiths managed or likely imagined.

The current logo makes complete sense if you look past your own bias towards it. A simple 'C' for 'Canuck' in a design that is applicable to where the team plays. Wow, you need to be Einstein to figure out how that makes sense!

I don't care if you think what I had to say was valid or not it's a known fact children have shorter attention spans and are less intelligent on average than adults so they try to make arguments based on beauty. It's a known fact children get bored of their shiny new toys after a few weeks and the parent has to surprise them with something new which they also get bored of and then want somethign else.

If you want to cry every year until daddy linden gets you a shiny new jersey to look at and cheapen the Canucks history that's your choice but in large I think most canucks fans disagree with you.

There you go again. "You disagree with me so you must be a child". And I'm the crybaby. Do you actually have a valid point or are you just going to keep calling people names because you don't like what they have to say?

Way to go Drew. Tell it like it is. By the way my youngest brother is only 14 and he loves the Orca so do my young cousins.

I originally thought that this is a generational issue with the Orca logo. To my surprise, my 15 year old godson & most of his buddies don't care much for the Orca logo because it misrepresents the Canucks. They call it lame & think that the Canucks should go back to the classic Stick in Rink.

It's a matter of taste & meaning to all different ages.

Sticking with a logo builds branding success. Our current logo has been our longest serving logo. So why change it at this point? As a brand using the Orca our team has become one the most profitable and valuable franchises in the league. I hate to break it to you, brand success has already occurred here. Far beyond what the Griffiths managed or likely imagined.

The current logo makes complete sense if you look past your own bias towards it. A simple 'C' for 'Canuck' in a design that is applicable to where the team plays. Wow, you need to be Einstein to figure out how that makes sense!

Einstein wasn't blind & he would call a Canuck a whale, if he were to see the Orca logo. Big misconception!

The Skate logo was the longest serving logo for 19 years compared the Orca logo for 17 years.

It didn't stop them from changing the logo.

As well, I wouldn't call the current jersey a branding success. It's not in the top 10 selling NHL jerseys. Heck, it's not even I the top 25 selling jerseys.

Well, as I've said before, if the Orca logo so obviously says "where the Canucks play" as you say. Why did the Canucks feel the need to add the word marking of Vancouver over the Orca logo? Hmm... Obviously, the Orca logo doesn't say where we play & the Aquillinis felt the same.

If you like the ripped off Montreal C, then I suggest the Canucks keep & alter the current C without the Orca jumping out of it.

A Canuck is not a whale & Einstein would say the same.

And it appears no one is buying your junk either PJ. If it ain't broke don't fix it

32 - 28 Keep the Orca

143 - 70 Don't use Johnny Canuck.

We have a winner!

Alfstonker, I've got news for you. Not only am I buying what PJ is saying, he is 110% spot on. Yes, he does get emotional but what he's saying is the truth and nothing but.

Yes, the poll on the message board doesn't lie. But the Canucks overall fan base extends way beyond the message boards.

The TEAM 1040 did their Canucks jersey poll and the Stick 'n Rink had 52% support, followed by the Skate at 20%, and then the current Orca at 12%.

The Hockey News is currently doing their logo rankings and the Canucks rank 27th out of 30 clubs. With each team, there is a poll for all team logos. With 2672 votes to date, the Stick 'n Rink, again, leads the poll at 42%, followed by the Skate at 27%, then the current Orca at 23%, and the Orca Bay era Orca at 9%.

We are ALL sick and tired of constantly changing identities. That's why fans like PJ, Granpappy, and myself were furious when Orca Bay put their corporate "fins" on the Canucks' identity. There were rumours that the Canucks were going to change their name. The Orca C was a compromise to have a C for Canucks and the Orca reflecting the Seattle-based ownership. The corporate spin on the Orca being "West Coast" is a bunch of malarkey.

That is why going back to the club's roots with the Stick 'n Rink and Johnny Canuck brand makes absolute sense. It's not about being bored with a current identity and wanting a change. It's about correcting the wrongdoings of not only John McCaw and his Orca Bay "yes men" but the Griffiths family and former late GM Jake Milford for listening to that wingding psychologist who had suggested the first brand change in the first place. Mind you, I loved the Flying V colours and many of my all-time favourite Canucks wore them. If only the Stick 'n Rink were kept. Then again, the Canucks could have kept the blue and green with the Stick and still have the Flying V(1040's Don Taylor would've liked that).

There's absolutely no need to change the team name. C for Canucks. If we were to go back to the stick in rink would we need to change the team name to Vancouver Hockey Rinks? It's just plain silliness. The style of the current C is to rep where the team plays. Nothing more.

If the style if the Orca C is to rep where the team plays, then the ownership wouldn't feel the need to have out the Vancouver word marking over the logo.

Thus what the Aquilinis are saying is that NO, it is not obvious that the orca symbolizes where the team plays.

For those that have mentioned a simple logo with the "V" for Vancouver or a "C" for Canucks, here is my latest attempt.

Simple, striking "V" shape done in a somewhat Haida style. For the Whale lovers, the blue part resembles a whale tale, though it isn't obviously so. Here are version with and without "Vancouver" along that top, as everyone seems somewhat split on whether that should be there or not. I hope you like it!

Canucks12.png

And it appears no one is buying your junk either PJ. If it ain't broke don't fix it

32 - 28 Keep the Orca

143 - 70 Don't use Johnny Canuck.

We have a winner!

That's fine, Alf! My buddy has got a boat, we can go laptopping together! Lol!!! Just kidding.

I'm proving my point about the Canuck branding discord over the Orca logo, so far a very small sample size of a whopping 60 pollsters! Lol!!!

You should check out the Canuck logo polls at The Hockey News (THN) or Team 1040. They have a much larger sample size (ie. THN has so far over 2,600) and the Orca logo is falling by the wayside. Majority prefer the Stick in Rink and the Skate logo over the current misrepresented Canuck logo with the whale!

For those that have mentioned a simple logo with the "V" for Vancouver or a "C" for Canucks, here is my latest attempt.

Simple, striking "V" shape done in a somewhat Haida style. For the Whale lovers, the blue part resembles a whale tale, though it isn't obviously so. Here are version with and without "Vancouver" along that top, as everyone seems somewhat split on whether that should be there or not. I hope you like it!

Canucks12.png

It's cool work. I like it. I find with the Vancouver word mark I think of either "Vancouver V's" because it's just a V or the "Vancouver Orca/whales" because of the tail. With out the word mark in unsure if what team it really is.

There you go again. "You disagree with me so you must be a child". And I'm the crybaby. Do you actually have a valid point or are you just going to keep calling people names because you don't like what they have to say?

No actually i just listed in the post you quoted the reasons. CleArly this has no chance of being an actual debate when the quote is t even read before being quoted

It's cool work. I like it. I find with the Vancouver word mark I think of either "Vancouver V's" because it's just a V or the "Vancouver Orca/whales" because of the tail. With out the word mark in unsure if what team it really is.

The "whale" was a total "fluke" (lol) - I was using a shape that is typically used in Haida art... it just happens to somewhat resemble a whale tail.

Canuck is not a term given to people from BC or Vancouver though is it? It was originally a name for ALL Canadians and has French origins.

By the same logic then, although "Canuck" can equally applied to Vancouver it is a generalism.

Which brings us round to the Orca

Orca: Killer whales are apex predators, meaning that they themselves have no natural predators. They are sometimes called the wolves of the sea, because they hunt in groups like wolf packs.

So all good there then, just the image we want.

Now, are they local and identifiable to the area, damn straight.

They are considered "common" (0.20–0.40 individuals per 100 km²) in the eastern Pacific along the coasts of British Columbia, Washington and Oregon,

So we are getting a picture here of menace, identifiable with the area, teamwork and already our logo.

Now let's look at Johnny Canuck.

"He first appeared in early political cartoons dating to 1869 where he was portrayed as a younger cousin of the United States' Uncle Sam and Britain's John Bull. Dressed as a habitant, farmer, logger, rancher or soldier, he was characterized as wholesome and simple-minded and was often depicted resisting the bullying of John Bull or Uncle Sam"

Johnny Canuck was born in political cartoons in 1869, two years after Confederation. At that time, he was called Jack Canuck. He wasn’t the sharpest saw in the forest, but he was a hard-working man, humble, kind, and decent. Sometimes he was a lumberjack, and that was the image that really stuck, right up until today.

Later on, Canuck became a catchphrase for all things Canadian, good or bad."

So for Johnny Cannuck, there are a few reservations. Too many mixed messages. There is the French influence, the general Canadian identity, not really particularly associated with BC and lastly the most "worrying" "Not the sharpest saw in the forrest" and he is a "cartoon character" (albeit loved)

So I think we have no real motivation to identify any closer to Johnny Canuck than the shoulder logo which says to everyone "the Canucks are Canadian and proud of it"

Canucks12.png

Sorry dude, it's clever I grant you but I'm not keen on the "tail end" of the Orca representing the team. I think the "V" lacks enough "strength" and it just seems too boring to be that size on the jersey.

That's fine, Alf! My buddy has got a boat, we can go laptopping together! Lol!!! Just kidding.

I'm proving my point about the Canuck branding discord over the Orca logo, so far a very small sample size of a whopping 60 pollsters! Lol!!!

You should check out the Canuck logo polls at The Hockey News (THN) or Team 1040. They have a much larger sample size (ie. THN has so far over 2,600) and the Orca logo is falling by the wayside. Majority prefer the Stick in Rink and the Skate logo over the current misrepresented Canuck logo with the whale!

Stick in rink and the skate? Really?

I would rather have the "cartoon" than either of these, I must say.

Canucks12.png

Nice and clean and I'm sure could look sharp with some better striping (I think the plain striping works against a simplistic logo like the stick-in-rink). I wondered a few pages if someone could do an idea like yours, but putting a modified stick and rink C inside the V. Then adding either Vancouver or Canucks written in the V (a la the Millionaires).

I only have MSPaint to make a rudimentary example, but if you or someone has the time/tools, I'd love to see the idea below flushed out cleanly.

Guest Dasein

I'd like to see the above 3rd jerseys with the Aviator patch instead. That would look cool: (hard to find just a pic of the patch.... I don't like this as a jersey. But on the shoulder? yes.)

johnny_canuck-jersey.jpg

Yeah I agree. I don't like this as a jersey, but it would look great on the shoulders.

124j43k.jpg

Saw this on HF - I like this jersey concept. I would change the font of the "CANUCKS" into something more aesthetic and replace the stick-in-rink on the shoulders with the aviator logo from above.

Except the stick in rink would qualify as just about the most boring logo on the planet as far as most people are concerned. And they would be right.

And the Montreal Canadiens CH is boring too, but it is classic and garners respect in many ways without the need of animals jumping out if it.

I don't hear Montreal fans complaining about how "boring" their logo is. And I'm sure there would be discord there too, if they had Youppi jumping out of their C logo.

johnny_canuck-jersey.jpg

Yeah I agree. I don't like this as a jersey, but it would look great on the shoulders.

124j43k.jpg

Saw this on HF - I like this jersey concept. I would change the font of the "CANUCKS" into something more aesthetic and replace the stick-in-rink on the shoulders with the aviator logo from above.

That looks good & makes sense.

Archived