The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For those that have mentioned a simple logo with the "V" for Vancouver or a "C" for Canucks, here is my latest attempt.

Simple, striking "V" shape done in a somewhat Haida style. For the Whale lovers, the blue part resembles a whale tale, though it isn't obviously so. Here are version with and without "Vancouver" along that top, as everyone seems somewhat split on whether that should be there or not. I hope you like it!

Canucks12.png

I actually really like this, but the concept pretty much the same as Hartfords old logo

Canuck is not a term given to people from BC or Vancouver though is it? It was originally a name for ALL Canadians and has French origins.

By the same logic then, although "Canuck" can equally applied to Vancouver it is a generalism.

Which brings us round to the Orca

Orca: Killer whales are apex predators, meaning that they themselves have no natural predators. They are sometimes called the wolves of the sea, because they hunt in groups like wolf packs.

So all good there then, just the image we want.

Now, are they local and identifiable to the area, damn straight.

They are considered "common" (0.200.40 individuals per 100 km²) in the eastern Pacific along the coasts of British Columbia, Washington and Oregon,

So we are getting a picture here of menace, identifiable with the area, teamwork and already our logo.

Now let's look at Johnny Canuck.

"He first appeared in early political cartoons dating to 1869 where he was portrayed as a younger cousin of the United States' Uncle Sam and Britain's John Bull. Dressed as a habitant, farmer, logger, rancher or soldier, he was characterized as wholesome and simple-minded and was often depicted resisting the bullying of John Bull or Uncle Sam"

Johnny Canuck was born in political cartoons in 1869, two years after Confederation. At that time, he was called Jack Canuck. He wasnt the sharpest saw in the forest, but he was a hard-working man, humble, kind, and decent. Sometimes he was a lumberjack, and that was the image that really stuck, right up until today.

Later on, Canuck became a catchphrase for all things Canadian, good or bad."

So for Johnny Cannuck, there are a few reservations. Too many mixed messages. There is the French influence, the general Canadian identity, not really particularly associated with BC and lastly the most "worrying" "Not the sharpest saw in the forrest" and he is a "cartoon character" (albeit loved)

So I think we have no real motivation to identify any closer to Johnny Canuck than the shoulder logo which says to everyone "the Canucks are Canadian and proud of it"

You are correct, Alf. Canuck is a term given to people from BC or Vancouver. It was originally a name for ALL Canadians and has French origins. And guess what, we are Canadians (aka Canucks). When you go traveling abroad, you identify yourself as a Canadian from Vancouver.

This West Coast "regionalization" of the term Canucks is expressed through it's colours of Blue for the Pacific Ocean & Green for the forests & mountains.

The crux of the logo problem is that the Orca is not identifiable as a Canuck. The use of the orca misconstrues the definition of a Canuck. A Canuck is you, me, Canuck hockey fans, & as a whole Canadians in general.

The Orca is an animal, not a person like you or me. Nothing more than that. If it is so important for our beloved hockey to use the Orca has a part of the Canuck logo, then the team should be correctly rebranded as the Orcas & not the Canucks. The Orca is not specifically just Canadian, they migrate up & down coasts of almost all oceans all over the world.

I don't care, if the Orcas are apex predators or sometimes called the wolves of the sea. I don't care if the orca is the most fierce some creature on the planet.

The orca is not the image most Canuck fans want & refuse to recognize it as such because it's not true to the identity of a Canuck.

The skating Johnny Canuck logo is a very relevant logo & agree with you that at the very least should be used as a secondary/shoulder patch logo.

As long as the orca logo is removed from the jersey with a logo that correctly identifies with the team nickname Canucks'

There's absolutely no need to change the team name. C for Canucks. If we were to go back to the stick in rink would we need to change the team name to Vancouver Hockey Rinks? It's just plain silliness. The style of the current C is to rep where the team plays. Nothing more.

The stick in rink C logo is justifiable & represents Vancouver Canucks hockey & where they play hockey in a hockey rink.

The silliness started & continues to this day when McCaw & his orca bay corporate buddies decided to shove a whale to rep the Canuck identity as a logo.

And why don't you respond to "why Vancouver is splashed across the top of the orca logo, if the orca so identifies with where the team is from?"

Because the orca doesnot represent the city & the fans of the Vancouvef Canucks as a whole!

Like I said before, you can slap lipstick on a pig & call it whatever you want, but everyone can see that it's still a pig! Just like the orca is not a Canuck!

I tried to combine various simple elements that I liked from our older logos to come up with something that was elegant, not too simple nor too busy:

• incorporate a V
  • fill in some negative space
  • use something that's classic 'canuck' to me (stick in rink)

The colours aren't exact in my example (and the logo could use some green), but I kind of like this....

I tried to combine various simple elements that I liked from our older logos to come up with something that was elegant, not too simple nor too busy:

• incorporate a V
  • fill in some negative space
  • use something that's classic 'canuck' to me (stick in rink)

The colours aren't exact in my example (and the logo could use some green), but I kind of like this....

!

Very good! Got the stick in rink C to signify Canucks & the Vancouver V logo to say where the Canucks are from

For those that have mentioned a simple logo with the "V" for Vancouver or a "C" for Canucks, here is my latest attempt.

Simple, striking "V" shape done in a somewhat Haida style. For the Whale lovers, the blue part resembles a whale tale, though it isn't obviously so. Here are version with and without "Vancouver" along that top, as everyone seems somewhat split on whether that should be there or not. I hope you like it!

Canucks12.png

Haven't liked any mockup until this one. I love it.

Its also a nice nod to Hartford.

Maybe if we can fit Vancouver into the tail too...

I originally thought that this is a generational issue with the Orca logo. To my surprise, my 15 year old godson & most of his buddies don't care much for the Orca logo because it misrepresents the Canucks. They call it lame & think that the Canucks should go back to the classic Stick in Rink.

It's a matter of taste & meaning to all different ages.

Ya, kids are tough to sway. They parrot what they hear.

If the style if the Orca C is to rep where the team plays, then the ownership wouldn't feel the need to have out the Vancouver word marking over the logo.

Thus what the Aquilinis are saying is that NO, it is not obvious that the orca symbolizes where the team plays.

It is obvious. The word mark was added as a nod to the old PCL uniform as I recall.

Just keep coming up with lame excuses.

Reversed the colours of the logo and bottom striping, and added similar striping on the sleeves.

This makes the V stand out a bit more, and now its just a lot more cohesive.

I could easily see this as a professional sports team jersey. I'll have to work on a blue version, and may need to tweak the logo a bit to make it stand out against a darker jersey (mostly just the shading of the grey border I think).

For the whale tail haters, it wasn't meant to be a whale tail - it's a haida style design element used to fill empty space.

Imagine it as a "C" laying on its back if you prefer ;)

The "V" is abviously for Vancouver. No room to add Vancouver in the logo itself, but it could be added along the top, like in our current jerseys... but that just takes away from the design a bit. For the Johnny Canuck fans, No, the logo doesn't have anything to do with a "CANUCK", but you can't have everything. Personally, I see Johnny Canuck more as a mascot figure than an actual team logo.

Canucks13.png

The stick in rink C logo is justifiable & represents Vancouver Canucks hockey & where they play hockey in a hockey rink.

The silliness started & continues to this day when McCaw & his orca bay corporate buddies decided to shove a whale to rep the Canuck identity as a logo.

And why don't you respond to "why Vancouver is splashed across the top of the orca logo, if the orca so identifies with where the team is from?"

Because the orca doesnot represent the city & the fans of the Vancouvef Canucks as a whole!

Like I said before, you can slap lipstick on a pig & call it whatever you want, but everyone can see that it's still a pig! Just like the orca is not a Canuck!

The stick in rink fails in every area you claim the Orca fails. Your own words. Slap lipstick on that.

You are correct, Alf. Canuck is a term given to people from BC or Vancouver. It was originally a name for ALL Canadians and has French origins. And guess what, we are Canadians (aka Canucks). When you go traveling abroad, you identify yourself as a Canadian from Vancouver.

This West Coast "regionalization" of the term Canucks is expressed through it's colours of Blue for the Pacific Ocean & Green for the forests & mountains.

The crux of the logo problem is that the Orca is not identifiable as a Canuck. The use of the orca misconstrues the definition of a Canuck. A Canuck is you, me, Canuck hockey fans, & as a whole Canadians in general.

The Orca is an animal, not a person like you or me. Nothing more than that. If it is so important for our beloved hockey to use the Orca has a part of the Canuck logo, then the team should be correctly rebranded as the Orcas & not the Canucks. The Orca is not specifically just Canadian, they migrate up & down coasts of almost all oceans all over the world.

I don't care, if the Orcas are apex predators or sometimes called the wolves of the sea. I don't care if the orca is the most fierce some creature on the planet.

The orca is not the image most Canuck fans want & refuse to recognize it as such because it's not true to the identity of a Canuck.

The skating Johnny Canuck logo is a very relevant logo & agree with you that at the very least should be used as a secondary/shoulder patch logo.

As long as the orca logo is removed from the jersey with a logo that correctly identifies with the team nickname Canucks'

Of course the Orca is easily explained to the unknowing. It's a C for Canuck shaped like an Orca which is common off the coast of BC and done in the Haida art style. The Haida being indigenous to BC. I'm sure anybody asking about the logo that has an ounce of intelligence would get it then. How does is stick in rink identifiable as a Canuck to the unknowing? Well it isn't without explanation. Even with Johnny, most Americans would be more likely to identify him as Paul Bunyon and need an explanation.

The stick in rink fails in every area you claim the Orca fails. Your own words. Slap lipstick on that.

Of course the Orca is easily explained to the unknowing. It's a C for Canuck shaped like an Orca which is common off the coast of BC and done in the Haida art style. The Haida being indigenous to BC. I'm sure anybody asking about the logo that has an ounce of intelligence would get it then. How does is stick in rink identifiable as a Canuck to the unknowing? Well it isn't without explanation. Even with Johnny, most Americans would be more likely to identify him as Paul Bunyon and need an explanation.

Baggins

This is a hockey team. Its not some all encompassing religious shire that need mystical, historical, ethnic and other worldly affirmations. I think we may be looking far too deeply into it.

The stick in the rink is a simple design. Any woman who has even glanced at a hockey game or grew up seeing floor hockey knows what the stick means . It means hockey. The blue is just the color. I dont think it was meant to have a pacific ocean connection, just like I doubt the Maple Leafs are trying to insinuate Ontario trees discard blue leaves.

Sports fans are not generally interested in the deepest meaning of some insignia being indigenous. They dont look at the jerseys to tell everyone about the Pacific North West or its water loving mammals , nor its Native Art.

The stick in the rink is a hockey logo. Its ours. Nobody else has that. Sure, the Islanders and others have some form of stick in theirs but nobody had ever designed a hockey stick as their NHL logo. Its ours.

On the other hand, the Orca is far more complicated to the point of ignorance to just about anyone who comes into contact with it. Most Canadians know Canuck means 'Canadian' but few outside Canada do.

They see the C and understand its the first letter in Canuck, that much is reasonable. However, the casual observer will be just as inclined to see the Orca as a 'whale' . How many sports fans know the difference between any whale and an Orca? Its not a sophistication thats necessary to be a hockey fan. Especially at the age we start watching the sport.

Our American cousins see the whale and rightly assume 'Canuck' means some kind of Whale. The more ignorant of them will think the whale is a 'fish' and think Canuck means fish.

None of it has anything to do with Hockey. Neither did the flying V. At least the Skate and the Stick in the Rink did.

Regardless, the stick in the rink is our logo and will never go away. In my opinion the Orca is a phase just like the Skate and Flying V were. I am sure Johnny Canuck will be a phase one day as well.

Reversed the colours of the logo and bottom striping, and added similar striping on the sleeves.

This makes the V stand out a bit more, and now its just a lot more cohesive.

I could easily see this as a professional sports team jersey. I'll have to work on a blue version, and may need to tweak the logo a bit to make it stand out against a darker jersey (mostly just the shading of the grey border I think).

For the whale tail haters, it wasn't meant to be a whale tail - it's a haida style design element used to fill empty space.

Imagine it as a "C" laying on its back if you prefer ;)

The "V" is abviously for Vancouver. No room to add Vancouver in the logo itself, but it could be added along the top, like in our current jerseys... but that just takes away from the design a bit. For the Johnny Canuck fans, No, the logo doesn't have anything to do with a "CANUCK", but you can't have everything. Personally, I see Johnny Canuck more as a mascot figure than an actual team logo.

Canucks13.png

If the Whalers logo didn't resemble this so much, I would be all over it. It's my favourite so far. Clean and simple, the stylized striping is fantastic.

Canuck is not a term given to people from BC or Vancouver though is it? It was originally a name for ALL Canadians and has French origins.

By the same logic then, although "Canuck" can equally applied to Vancouver it is a generalism.

Which brings us round to the Orca

Orca: Killer whales are apex predators, meaning that they themselves have no natural predators. They are sometimes called the wolves of the sea, because they hunt in groups like wolf packs.

So all good there then, just the image we want.

Now, are they local and identifiable to the area, damn straight.

They are considered "common" (0.20–0.40 individuals per 100 km²) in the eastern Pacific along the coasts of British Columbia, Washington and Oregon,

So we are getting a picture here of menace, identifiable with the area, teamwork and already our logo.

Now let's look at Johnny Canuck.

"He first appeared in early political cartoons dating to 1869 where he was portrayed as a younger cousin of the United States' Uncle Sam and Britain's John Bull. Dressed as a habitant, farmer, logger, rancher or soldier, he was characterized as wholesome and simple-minded and was often depicted resisting the bullying of John Bull or Uncle Sam"

Johnny Canuck was born in political cartoons in 1869, two years after Confederation. At that time, he was called Jack Canuck. He wasn’t the sharpest saw in the forest, but he was a hard-working man, humble, kind, and decent. Sometimes he was a lumberjack, and that was the image that really stuck, right up until today.

Later on, Canuck became a catchphrase for all things Canadian, good or bad."

So for Johnny Cannuck, there are a few reservations. Too many mixed messages. There is the French influence, the general Canadian identity, not really particularly associated with BC and lastly the most "worrying" "Not the sharpest saw in the forrest" and he is a "cartoon character" (albeit loved)

So I think we have no real motivation to identify any closer to Johnny Canuck than the shoulder logo which says to everyone "the Canucks are Canadian and proud of it"

canuck is a slang term for canadian. people will get that. if you spew your canuck rhetoric they will think you are confused and rightly so. our canuck is johnny. he plays ice hockey. it is very simple. you could probably come up with a confusing definition of hockey to try to muddle things further in an attempt to justify your loving orcas.

also if you think teams/fans will be intimidated by viscous gangs of roaming whales you are greatly mislead. it does not work that way. teams have never trembled at the thought of facing the maple leafs, red wings, flyers logo, nickname. the best you could hope to do is confuse them . . . it is a whale, an apex hunter, no a canuck, a sea wolf, they hunt in packs, why not a w instead of a c then? they are mammals, no they are sea otters, they swim in the sea, they are seals, ohhhh, can they balance a ball on their noses, they are free willys, very important; they have no natural predators.

also, to try to portray a canuck as some sadsack sap to justify loving orcas is a disgrace. you should not believe everything you have read about canadians. i am canadian. i step in when i need to step in. i help others when they need it. i stand up to bullys. i don't back down when i know i'm right. i have compassion and am sympathetic. i am canadian and i play hockey. do not disparage canadians.

It is obvious. The word mark was added as a nod to the old PCL uniform as I recall.

Just keep coming up with lame excuses.

Go ahead, Baggins, keep believing your own spin doctoring & propaganda.

Granpappy, Tigerhearted, & myself fall into the vast overall majority of Canuck fans who dislike the orca logo for many valid reasons:

... McCaw, who disrepected the Canuck brand,

... what it's original purpose was in promoting Orca Bay,

... the original intention of McCaw & Orca Bay wanting to change the nickname from the Canucks to the Orcas,

... most importantly a whale is absolutely & completely false representation of the Canuck nickname & identity.

What is lame is having an orca symbolize a Canuck. A Canuck is not a whale and a whale is not a Canuck. And the orca does not represent Vancouver as a whole.

The Aquilinis would have gotten rid of the logo, but their hands were tied in legalities concerning the Canucks ownership. Which was settled in the Aquilinis' favor a year or two after the current jerseys were released.

If the Aquilinis are so committed to the orca logo, then why is it not displayed on all those champion banners up in the rafters? Whereas all the other NHL teams proudly display their logos on their banners. That's another point to show that the Orca logo is a flaw representation of the Canucks. The Aquilinis know it, sense it, & will do the right thing by get rid of the orca logo.

canuck is a slang term for canadian. people will get that. if you spew your canuck rhetoric they will think you are confused and rightly so. our canuck is johnny. he plays ice hockey. it is very simple. you could probably come up with a confusing definition of hockey to try to muddle things further in an attempt to justify your loving orcas.

also if you think teams/fans will be intimidated by viscous gangs of roaming whales you are greatly mislead. it does not work that way. teams have never trembled at the thought of facing the maple leafs, red wings, flyers logo, nickname. the best you could hope to do is confuse them . . . it is a whale, an apex hunter, no a canuck, a sea wolf, they hunt in packs, why not a w instead of a c then? they are mammals, no they are sea otters, they swim in the sea, they are seals, ohhhh, can they balance a ball on their noses, they are free willys, very important; they have no natural predators.

also, to try to portray a canuck as some sadsack sap to justify loving orcas is a disgrace. you should not believe everything you have read about canadians. i am canadian. i step in when i need to step in. i help others when they need it. i stand up to bullys. i don't back down when i know i'm right. i have compassion and am sympathetic. i am canadian and i play hockey. do not disparage canadians.

Hear, hear Grandpappy!

Archived