The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To answer the debate about how the stick n rink is not a canuck. That's is true but it is our first NHL logo and it's a C that stands for Canucks. If it had been kept it would've taken that identity. Even so people still recognize it as a symbol of our hockey team. A B in a spoked circle is not a bear, Yes they have a shoulder patch that shows a bear and we can have johnny there too. The issue I have is that we are looking for a new symbol when we already have a classic.

To answer the debate about how the stick n rink is not a canuck. That's is true but it is our first NHL logo and it's a C that stands for Canucks. If it had been kept it would've taken that identity. Even so people still recognize it as a symbol of our hockey team. A B in a spoked circle is not a bear, Yes they have a shoulder patch that shows a bear and we can have johnny there too. The issue I have is that we are looking for a new symbol when we already have a classic.

110% spot on, Roadrunner12. Only the Canucks can have claim to the Stick 'n Rink. Great comment about the Bruins too.

Speaking of the Bruins, their Spoked B has 2 meanings:

1. Boston is a hub city.

2. The eight gold lines represent "the 8 roads to Boston".

110% spot on, Roadrunner12. Only the Canucks can have claim to the Stick 'n Rink. Great comment about the Bruins too.

1. Boston is a hub city.

I just wanna ask this to create some discussion. How does the stick in rink represent Vancouver? What elements does it have that makes it a symbol of Vancouver?

Good points on each side of the argument, though I don't think anyone is going to budge on their views!

An updated striping scheme for my "V" design - trying for something a bit sleeker and modern looking. If we're going to change our look, let's really change it and not rehash some old designs! They can still use the shoulder patches for the stick and rink or Johnny V logo.

Canucks16.png

Not bad at all, you have an actual consistent overall look happening here. Simplicity really seems to work well a lot of the time.

I couldnt stand the Orca from day one because it was so convoluted.

I just wanna ask this to create some discussion. How does the stick in rink represent Vancouver? What elements does it have that makes it a symbol of Vancouver?

When Joe Borovich designed the Stick 'n Rink, he believed a logo should have two elements: 1. the name or initial of the company(the 'C' for Canucks) and 2. what the company does(hockey stick in the hockey rink).

To answer the Vancouver part, Mr. Borovich gave the logo Vancouver colours - royal blue for the surrounding waters, kelly green for the numerous parks and greenery, and white for the snow capped mountains overlooking the city.

I will also add that the Stick 'n Rink is synonymous with the Canucks and the Canucks are synonymous with Vancouver and B.C. Vancouver, I may add, is a hockey city. Even in the off-season.

A stick in rink is not a Canuck and does not represent Vancouver as a whole.

Johnny may be a "Canuck" but does not represent Vancouver as a whole because we are not French Canadian

An Orca is not a Canuck

A flying skate is not a Canuck

A V with the words Vancouver is not a Canuck, but represent Vancouver

Lol!!!

I'm fine with any usage of the above logos except the orca whale logo.

Bravo, Roadrunner!

Bravo, Roadrunner!

1. Boston is a hub city.

Good to know the meaning behind the spoked B logo! Very clever & classic hockey logo that makes sense!

Good points on each side of the argument, though I don't think anyone is going to budge on their views!

An updated striping scheme for my "V" design - trying for something a bit sleeker and modern looking. If we're going to change our look, let's really change it and not rehash some old designs! They can still use the shoulder patches for the stick and rink or Johnny V logo.

Canucks16.png

See Baggins, that's a nice looking whale themed logo. Still don't know if a whale is the best logo for "Canucks" but that's a HELL of a lot better looking than the current one.

Canucks16.png

Still a nice design, but I have two criticisms.

One, the Canucks have never been a shoulder yoke team. I think they look best without one.

Two, not enough green. Blue is the primary colour yes, but relegating green to such minimal trim is not a good way to go. The Canucks have, imho, the best colours in the league, they should take full use of them.

See Baggins, that's a nice looking whale themed logo. Still don't know if a whale is the best logo for "Canucks" but that's a HELL of a lot better looking than the current one.

To be honest I kind of like this too. But regardless, it should be JC or the stick in rink. I understand what people are trying to say about consistency in a logo, except that going back to our original colours but not original logo is kinda blasphemy. Either way though, the jersey I own is 2 years old with Burrows proudly on the back, so if they change it or don't, I'm still gonna wear it.

Ahhh, I don't think so.

You don't think so, but you should know so.

A Vancouver history lesson for you, as quoted from Wikipedia:

The original settlement, named Gastown, grew around the Hastings Mill logging sawmill and a nearby tavern, both established in 1867. Enlarging to become the townsite of Granville, with the announcement that the railhead would reach the site it was renamed "Vancouver" and incorporated as a city in 1886.

A sawmill established at Moodyville (now the City of North Vancouver) in 1863, began the city's long relationship with logging. It was quickly followed by mills owned by Captain Edward Stamp on the south shore of the inlet. Stamp, who had begun logging in the Port Alberni area, first attempted to run a mill at Brockton Point, but difficult currents and reefs forced the relocation of the operation in 1867 to a point near the foot of Gore Street. This mill, known as the Hastings Mill, became the nucleus around which Vancouver formed.

As of 2009, Port Metro Vancouver is the busiest and largest port in Canada, and the most diversified port in North America. While forestry remains its largest industry, Vancouver is well known as an urban centre surrounded by nature, making tourism its second-largest industry.

Canucks16.png

I don't understand why you'd need to put a whale or tuna tail above the V. It's not that eye appealing for me & it looks like an intergalactic symbol from Star Trek. Lol!

However I do have to give you credit for creativity, well done & very realistic. I see the double V logo (blue V & white V in the crest) you created. Very talented!

What program did you use to create that jersey?

Canucks16.png

Reminds me of the Hartford Whalers logo.

I don't understand why you'd need to put a whale or tuna tail above the V. It's not that eye appealing for me & it looks like an intergalactic symbol from Star Trek. Lol!

However I do have to give you credit for creativity, well done & very realistic. I see the double V logo (blue V & white V in the crest) you created. Very talented!

What program did you use to create that jersey?

i agree with those criticisms, and here's another: without it being explained to me that its a whales tail, i'm left wondering "why is there a 't' in the vancouver canucks logo?"

Maybe in your mind.

It is frankly (I don't want to hurt the guy's feelings for putting in the effort) insipid. We have been over this already, "points" are weak, feathery, flapping and should never be seen in a logo. Concave curves are weak. Tails? well they are just tails.

Jayinblack's "V" is a much stronger image and I like the way he has given passing reference to the stick in rink showing the secondary "C" It echoes a jersey like the NYR but to my mind is a stronger concept because it is not slanting.

That "V" also echoes the Millionaires jersey which we could use as our 3rd.

Archived