The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You don't think so, but you should know so.

A Vancouver history lesson for you, as quoted from Wikipedia:

The original settlement, named Gastown, grew around the Hastings Mill logging sawmill and a nearby tavern, both established in 1867. Enlarging to become the townsite of Granville, with the announcement that the railhead would reach the site it was renamed "Vancouver" and incorporated as a city in 1886.

A sawmill established at Moodyville (now the City of North Vancouver) in 1863, began the city's long relationship with logging. It was quickly followed by mills owned by Captain Edward Stamp on the south shore of the inlet. Stamp, who had begun logging in the Port Alberni area, first attempted to run a mill at Brockton Point, but difficult currents and reefs forced the relocation of the operation in 1867 to a point near the foot of Gore Street. This mill, known as the Hastings Mill, became the nucleus around which Vancouver formed.

As of 2009, Port Metro Vancouver is the busiest and largest port in Canada, and the most diversified port in North America. While forestry remains its largest industry, Vancouver is well known as an urban centre surrounded by nature, making tourism its second-largest industry.

I thought we weren't quoting from Wikipedia any more. :)

110% spot on, Roadrunner12. Only the Canucks can have claim to the Stick 'n Rink. Great comment about the Bruins too.

Speaking of the Bruins, their Spoked B has 2 meanings:

1. Boston is a hub city.

2. The eight gold lines represent "the 8 roads to Boston".

the 8 also used to represent the number of wins needed to get the cup (the symbolism also behind the octopus in detroit)

Good points on each side of the argument, though I don't think anyone is going to budge on their views!

An updated striping scheme for my "V" design - trying for something a bit sleeker and modern looking. If we're going to change our look, let's really change it and not rehash some old designs! They can still use the shoulder patches for the stick and rink or Johnny V logo.

Canucks16.png

reminds me of these for some reason:

source_722_59124.jpg

the 8 also used to represent the number of wins needed to get the cup (the symbolism also behind the octopus in detroit)

I forgot about that! Lol. Eight wins needed back in the 6-team era. And I never understood the origins of Detroit's octopus tradition until you pointed it out. Thank you. :)

Maybe in your mind.

It is frankly (I don't want to hurt the guy's feelings for putting in the effort) insipid. We have been over this already, "points" are weak, feathery, flapping and should never be seen in a logo. Concave curves are weak. Tails? well they are just tails.

Jayinblack's "V" is a much stronger image and I like the way he has given passing reference to the stick in rink showing the secondary "C" It echoes a jersey like the NYR but to my mind is a stronger concept because it is not slanting.

That "V" also echoes the Millionaires jersey which we could use as our 3rd.

Agree.

We are the only team whose name has nothing to do with our logo. The fact it was created because of our ownership group Orca Bay (plus it was never changed) makes it even worse.

It is one thing if we were called the Orcas and just had a stylized O, but we are the Caucks and have a random whale.

Bring back Johnny Canuck or go to something generic.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nhl-logo-rankings-no-27-vancouver-canucks/

We are the only team whose name has nothing to do with our logo. The fact it was created because of our ownership group Orca Bay (plus it was never changed) makes it even worse.

It is one thing if we were called the Orcas and just had a stylized O, but we are the Caucks and have a random whale.

Bravo! My sentiments exactly! Thank you for proving my point.

Canucklehead44, where were you hiding during this heated Johnny Canuck/Orca debate?? Lol.

However, in all seriousness, you echo both PJ's and my viewpoints about the Canucks needing a true "Canucks" brand. I,too, have read the Hockey News logo ranking article with each team's logo history poll. The results speak for themselves.

Same with the TEAM 1040 poll the day Trevor Linden was in studio - 52% for the Stick'n Rink, 20% for the Skate, and only 12% for the current Orca.

GREAT insightful post Canucklehead44!

I think people need an open mind here....I did some research to see how often the other teams change their jerseys.... It seems that on average every five years they modify or change. Sometimes even more often.

The fact that orca bay is no longer involved and we are still rocking a whale....I'm inclined to switch it up.

With Linden, Benning, Lidster and company....I'd love to see yellow and black with the skate logo. Maybe even just a few times a year.

Canucklehead44, where were you hiding during this heated Johnny Canuck/Orca debate?? Lol.

However, in all seriousness, you echo both PJ's and my viewpoints about the Canucks needing a true "Canucks" brand. I,too, have read the Hockey News logo ranking article with each team's logo history poll. The results speak for themselves.

Same with the TEAM 1040 poll the day Trevor Linden was in studio - 52% for the Stick'n Rink, 20% for the Skate, and only 12% for the current Orca.

GREAT insightful post Canucklehead44!

Stick in Rink at 52%= Majority..... Done!

I think people need an open mind here....I did some research to see how often the other teams change their jerseys.... It seems that on average every five years they modify or change. Sometimes even more often.

The fact that orca bay is no longer involved and we are still rocking a whale....I'm inclined to switch it up.

With Linden, Benning, Lidster and company....I'd love to see yellow and black with the skate logo. Maybe even just a few times a year.

I totally agree with your statement about people needing to be open-minded. I, too, loved the Skate and its respective colours. However, the truth is, is that the Stick 'n Rink with the original/current colours should not have been changed in the first place. That was when the club's identity crisis started.

The Canucks are the third oldest Canadian NHL franchise and not having a consistent identity has divided a very proud and passionate fan base. The Oilers have their original crest. Our expansion cousins, the Sabres, finally went back to their original crest. The Canucks NEED to do the same thing.

Once the Stick 'n Rink and Johnny Canuck are both the main brand(jersey crest & secondary logo), the Canucks need to keep them for life. Like Chicago's Chief Black Hawk crest and yellow C shoulder patch with the crossed stone hammers.

Well that is because there really isn't a true logo for the word "Canuck" short of stylized font.

Johnny Canuck or something generic will have the same amount of "nothing to do with" as the orca. And spare me Johnny has the word "Canuck" in it. The original Johnny Canuck btw was portrayed as a mountie. So a lumberjack and a mountie still have nothing to do with "Canuck." Nor does a hockey rink...

So short of changing our name to the Vancouver Lumberjacks...

Well that is because there really isn't a true logo for the word "Canuck" short of stylized font.

Johnny Canuck or something generic will have the same amount of "nothing to do with" as the orca. And spare me Johnny has the word "Canuck" in it. The original Johnny Canuck btw was portrayed as a mountie. So a lumberjack and a mountie still have nothing to do with "Canuck." Nor does a hockey rink...

So short of changing our name to the Vancouver Lumberjacks...

The Canucks are named after Johnny Canuck just like the Blackhawks are named after Chief Black Hawk who was based in what is now Illinois. Johnny's lumberjack profession helped build our city and province.

This poll suggests that the majority of Canuck fans do not want the Johnny Canuck logo. End of story.

If you're going by the whopping 226 pollsters who voted on the Johnny Canuck logo on this forum, you're looking at result that really is insignificant.

You should check out the favorite Canuck logo poll on Nucks Misconduct on SB Nation. Way more voters in the thousands & it's a tie between Johnny Canuck & the Orca. As well, over 61% of those same thousands of voters don't like the Orca C logo.

Archived