The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are so many contradictions here:

Logo can't be Orca because it doesn't represent Vancouver, but JC does?

You want the logo to have a V, but also say it should be stick-in-the-rink, which is a C?

No one thinks a Canuck is a whale (and I really hope your "vast majority" isn't as daft), and it doesn't confuse anyone. In fact, I think most people who see the logo first, and then come to Vancouver are most likely going to "get it". Because they're not going to come here and see a bunch of hipster lumberjacks, they're going to come here and see how prolific First Nations art is.

The real First Nations art are the totem poles in Stanley Park and at the Museum of Anthropology at UBC. The rest is marketing and souvenirs for the tourists. Vancouver is primarily known for its snowcapped mountain range, surrounding waters and numerous greenery.

Check out the video from one of my earlier posts, explaining the heritage and history of the true Canucks brand.

Good points on each side of the argument, though I don't think anyone is going to budge on their views!

An updated striping scheme for my "V" design - trying for something a bit sleeker and modern looking. If we're going to change our look, let's really change it and not rehash some old designs! They can still use the shoulder patches for the stick and rink or Johnny V logo.

Canucks16.png

Go ahead, Baggins, keep believing your own spin doctoring & propaganda.

Granpappy, Tigerhearted, & myself fall into the vast overall majority of Canuck fans who dislike the orca logo for many valid reasons:

... McCaw, who disrepected the Canuck brand,

... what it's original purpose was in promoting Orca Bay,

... the original intention of McCaw & Orca Bay wanting to change the nickname from the Canucks to the Orcas,

... most importantly a whale is absolutely & completely false representation of the Canuck nickname & identity.

What is lame is having an orca symbolize a Canuck. A Canuck is not a whale and a whale is not a Canuck. And the orca does not represent Vancouver as a whole.

The Aquilinis would have gotten rid of the logo, but their hands were tied in legalities concerning the Canucks ownership. Which was settled in the Aquilinis' favor a year or two after the current jerseys were released.

If the Aquilinis are so committed to the orca logo, then why is it not displayed on all those champion banners up in the rafters? Whereas all the other NHL teams proudly display their logos on their banners. That's another point to show that the Orca logo is a flaw representation of the Canucks. The Aquilinis know it, sense it, & will do the right thing by get rid of the orca logo.

You have your opinion (propaganda), you have your opinion (propaganda).

The Orca logo had nothing at all to do with McCaw. NOTHING. It was on it's way in before McCaw ever bought 49% of the team (as I've already pointed out numerous times) and as MINORITY owner it was Griffiths that had final say as MAJORITY owner. If you're playing the blame game for the Orca logo at least blame the correct people: Griffiths and Quinn. McCaw wanted to change the team name to Orca's? Any proof? No? Because it's nonsense. Utter nonsense. As is most of your opinions on this matter. Keep clutching at straws there.

If the Acquilini's were so opposed to the Orca logo why didn't they simply do away with it the last uniform change instead of just changing the colors?

I've been browsing this interesting topic for a while now. Been a Canucks fan since '90. I was happy with the Skate, perhaps was to young to question the meaning of it but thought it was fitting givin the team we had Bure, Ronning, Courtnall. It stood for speed in my mind and looked attractive on both jerseys and I guess it fit with other logos such as the Oilers. But as I look back, I can't stop to think what the heck was that? We haven't had a logo that reps what a Canuck is. When the Orca came out I was so disheartened because it was not an improvement over the skate. I loved the uni's but not the orca. When the colors changed, I liked it but still disappointed with the orca. Once again loved the uni's but not the logo. But again I believe it looks good on the home jersey. When the third jersey came out, I felt that things were made right on some levels. I love the update on the stick n rink logo, thought the old one wasn't clearly defined. When I saw the 40th anniversary edition, I said we have a winner. I don't know why that hasn't won people over. I understand the stick n rink logo doesn't showcase speed or aggression, but it is bold and elegant and I think belongs with the classics, Toronto, Redwings, Rangers etc. if we had kept it and built some history with it, the stick n rink would have been untouchable today and would have been engrained as the Canucks logo in hockey history. It's unique, it stands for what we play, it's shaped as a C for Canucks. In y mind that's simple, classic and works. Look at the Rangers, there not pic of a Ranger on a horse on their jerseys.

What a lot of BS.

I didn't portray JC as anything I copied and pasted known facts. I was sarcastically taking a rise out of you "over thinkers" who have spent the equivalent of re-writing War and Peace on a logo.

I just dip in now and again to show my friends so we can have a laugh.

It's damned funny.

Baggins is the only sensible one amongst you, the rest of you are just scratching each others balls.

please, change your name to 'loving orcas,' if there is any justice.

show me where on the internet, it states as fact that changing our logo/name to orca is a 'good start.'

i told u before not to believe everything u read about canucks/canadians. when people see j. canuck, they will likely say 'nice.' a canuck and he plays hockey. it is not a stretch. it actually makes perfectly good sense. we are a hockey team and the logo works for our sport and our nickname. the only thing they may question is why did it take so long to put him on our jersey when he has always been there. get the logo right and the jersey design and this one will be a best seller.

when i look at your logo, i see a fella wearing a batman outfit, loving orcas. that's it. it fits you and i don't try to look for any deeper meaning. some might question the need to represent your psychological ambience with a comic portrayal / transference or projection of some imaginary figurine but i don't. as far as loving orcas, well i can only wonder that the orca may be the only thing that gets wet when it sees you.

However, I'm not opposed to a new logo but afraid of the unknown. They can go so many ways with "Canuck". They can go the War themed route ala columbus. There could be a maple leaf involved which I'm not opposed to but it's not unique. I vote for stick n rink, home and away, Johnny on Thirds.

I've been browsing this interesting topic for a while now. Been a Canucks fan since '90. I was happy with the Skate, perhaps was to young to question the meaning of it but thought it was fitting givin the team we had Bure, Ronning, Courtnall. It stood for speed in my mind and looked attractive on both jerseys and I guess it fit with other logos such as the Oilers. But as I look back, I can't stop to think what the heck was that? We haven't had a logo that reps what a Canuck is. When the Orca came out I was so disheartened because it was not an improvement over the skate. I loved the uni's but not the orca. When the colors changed, I liked it but still disappointed with the orca. Once again loved the uni's but not the logo. But again I believe it looks good on the home jersey. When the third jersey came out, I felt that things were made right on some levels. I love the update on the stick n rink logo, thought the old one wasn't clearly defined. When I saw the 40th anniversary edition, I said we have a winner. I don't know why that hasn't won people over. I understand the stick n rink logo doesn't showcase speed or aggression, but it is bold and elegant and I think belongs with the classics, Toronto, Redwings, Rangers etc. if we had kept it and built some history with it, the stick n rink would have been untouchable today and would have been engrained as the Canucks logo in hockey history. It's unique, it stands for what we play, it's shaped as a C for Canucks. In y mind that's simple, classic and works. Look at the Rangers, there not pic of a Ranger on a horse on their jerseys.

agree but take another look at j.canuck. he was there in the whl days and i think these two jerseys could form the regular and 3rd jerseys for the rest of days

I like Johnny and if their is a way to work him into a logo without looking amateur the. I'm all for it. But please not the Vouchon logo. I don't want initials of VC. I don't think those two letters work well together. We should've never changed the stick n rink, maybe minor tweeks only. Flyers haven't touched theirs and any hockey person will know what that stands for at first glance.

The stick in the rink is the Canucks logo. Almost every franchise there is since expansion has their original logo in some form on their sweater. There has only been one other NHL franchise that has remained in place and move away from their original logo since . The Ducks.

Even they are bringing back their originals as their thirds. They never even replaced their logo. They just removed it.

The Ocra is the 4th incarnation of Canuck jersey. It has no special rights other than being the only one you personally grew up with. That itself entitles you to an opinion, not some statement of truth that applies to anyone else.

The Orca itself has no special meaning to Vancouver . Orcas are all up and down the pacific northwest. They dont all hang out in English Bay. It was brought in when the company Orca Bay bought the Canucks.

Try to keep some perspective in mind.

Very spot on, Absent Canuck. Orcas and Native art have absolutely nothing to do with why the Canucks are called the "Canucks". Furthermore, the only legitimate Native art in Vancouver are the totem poles in Stanley Park and at the Museum of Anthropology out at UBC. The rest is just pure marketing in tourist shops on Robson Street and in Gastown.

Here is more valid proof for your argument and to counter the arguments by the Orca supporters.

Good morning, Baggins!

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you based on facts. Before you start saying that I'm spewing nonsense. I did some digging on the internet and found relevant information. Information on past sports articles quoted from The Province & The Vancouver Sun concerning the ownership & the orca logo, that is contrary to what you're saying.

GRIFFITHS OPTS OUT OF ORCA BAY AS MCCAW TAKE OVER INTEREST

Published November 13, 1996

Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment Chair John McCaw has

purchased all remaining shares in Orca Bay held by VP Arthur

Griffiths, officially ending the Griffiths family's 22 years of

sports ownership in Vancouver. Orca Bay owns the Canucks,

Grizzlies and GM Place. Griffiths will remain with the company

as Orca Bay Vice Chair and serve as Alternate Governor for both

the NHL and NBA. Griffiths will also continue to chair the

Canuck Place Board and serve as a Director on the Canuck

Foundation and Grizzlies Foundation boards (Orca Bay). Griffiths

said it was his decision to sell, calling it in the "best

interest of myself and the business." Griffiths: "I went to John

and asked him to buy me out. It was not something he wanted to

do." McCaw now owns 100% of the Grizzlies and GM Place and

assumes responsibility of about C$120M of debt on GM Place. He

also owns 72% with the right to acquire another 14% of Northwest

Sports Enterprises, which owns the Canucks. The remaining 14% of

the Canucks is owned by Art Rennison (Paul Chapman, Vancouver

PROVINCE, 11/13). McCaw had taken over majority control of Orca

Bay from Griffiths in March '95 and his ownership percentage has

"steadily increased" (Howard Tsumura, Vancouver PROVINCE, 11/13).

Archie McDonald of the VANCOUVER SUN writes Griffiths' share in

the Canucks had recently shrunk to "about" 10% (VANCOUVER SUN,

11/13).

In a timeline sense:

March 1995 - McCaw buys 51% & majority control of the organization from Griffiths & forms the Northwest Entertainment Group

August 22, 1995 - Northwest Entertainment Group is rebranded as Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment

November 12, 1996 - McCaw assumes full control & ownership of Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment. Griffiths stays on in a figure head capacity.

May 1997 - the orca logo is introduced as the new Canuck logo. According to Jim Jamieson of The Province dated April 30, 1997, a Vancouver TV station (maybe BCTV or CKVU Sports Page) conducted a telephone poll that resulted in a 78% disapproval rating for the new Orca logo for the Canucks.

So saying that Griffiths was the majority owner of Orca Bay at that time is a falsehood & your facts are skewed. As well, does Quinn really have control over a logo change? He was an employee, he might have had some input. However if he had to pick a new logo at that time, he probably picked the best of the worst.

I'm sorry to say that, Baggins, but it's the truth. You or anyone else can go and check out the facts for yourselves.

Baggins, I strongly suggest you read this.....

http://www.lcshockey.com/issues/57/feature10.asp

As for Canucks Nation, it goes far and beyond the message boards on the Canucks' official website. Just about every poll on Canuck logos has the Orca logo ranked below the Stick 'n Rink and Streaking Skate logos. If a hockey sweater crest were to represent where the Canucks play, it should not go beyond a V logo and/or colour scheme. The royal blue, kelly green, and white already do that. I love and appreciate Native art like so many other people. However, it is Tourism Vancouver's job to market the region's Native art to the world, not the Canucks. That's unless they change the name to "Orcas".

Speaking of a team called the "Orcas", this would be perfect for an NBA franchise, should pro basketball return to Vancouver. I mentioned this in a previous post. The team can use the Grizzlies' old colours. Black and white for the Orca, turquoise for the marine waters off of B.C.'s coast, and red for being a Canadian-based franchise. Like the Grizzlies, Haida-themed trimming can work too. Basketball players, like orcas, can also leap a lot higher than hockey players, lol. There! Perfect!!

The Canucks go back to their true roots of the Stick 'n Rink and Johnny Canuck brand and the Orca brand gets moved over to the sometime-in-the-future NBA club. It is the compromise of all compromises.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/columnists/story.html?id=456d1582-731c-4891-8b49-17bd2208708a

5 CAREER HIGHLIGHTS FOR ARTHUR GRIFFITHS

1. 1981: At the age of 24, Griffiths signs on as his father's assistant at Northwest Sports Enterprises, owner of the Vancouver Canucks. In 1992, Northwest buys property on the old Expo 86 lands and plans to build a 20,000-seat arena for $100 million.

2. 1994: Griffiths acquires rights to an NBA franchise from Northwest and then, with sister Emily and John McCaw of Seattle, acquires arena and hockey team.

3. 1995: Griffiths is unable to maintain a controlling position due to burden of financing three major sports assets. Seattle businessman John McCaw acquires 60% interest. That figures soon increases to 80%.

4. September, 1995: GM Place officially opens. Grizzlies make their debut, but in 1996, Griffiths sells his remaining interest to McCaw, ending the Griffiths family's 22-year investment in Vancouver's professional sports scene.

5. 1998-2006: Begins a successful drive to bring the 2010 Olympics to B.C., in turn develops other business interests, including a stint in radio. In February, he joins Infotec Business Systems Inc. as chief executive officer and director.

Just to point out, Griffiths and then-president and GM Pat Quinn did have plans to change the Streaking Skate logo when the team moved downtown. When Arthur had his old Business of Sports radio show on CKLG 73 several years ago, he stated that the plan was to go with an updated Johnny Canuck logo in the Skate colours. Griffiths and Quinn felt that the Canucks needed a crest that defined the history of the team name. The Canucks jersey video narrator did say that Pat Quinn wanted "West Coast colours, no more Halloween". The video did not say that Quinn wanted a West Coast logo. Just the colours.

Just look at the Canucks' ugly scenario during that time:

Majority owner and Seattle-based, John McCaw and Orca Bay CEO and "McCaw's Yes Man", Stan McCammon:

They wanted the Orca brand on the Canucks' identity. McCammon, by the way, knew absolutely nothing about hockey and was always butting heads with the hockey department.

Minority owner and local-based, Arthur Griffiths and Canucks president and GM, Pat Quinn:

They wanted Johnny Canuck.

When the majority talks, the minority either listens or they can make sure the door doesn't hit them on the way out.

Roadrunner12, I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed reading your post! Very intelligent and rational. You are correct about the Streaking Skate crest. It did symbolize the speed of hockey.

As for the Rangers, the Manhattan-based team was named after the club's original owner, Tex Rickard. The team was referred to as "Tex's Rangers", a pun on the Texas Rangers law enforcement agency. The name "Rangers" then became the official team name. The Canucks, who started in the old Pacific Coast League in 1945 were given their name because of the Johnny Canuck character. The lumberjack version was chosen because of the rich and historic lumber industry in B.C., which helped build the City of Vancouver.

Here's an earlier post of mine that explained my love for the Skate and my growing love and appreciation towards Johnny Canuck.

Cheers. :)

There was a time when the Canucks had the Skate crest and I remember on Coach's Corner during Game 3 of the Canuck-Leafs '94 series, Don Cherry was recalling his WHL playing days in Vancouver and expressing his strong sentiment towards Johnny Canuck. At first, I had the exact same feelings that Johnny Canuck critics and haters have today. Too cartoony. A human character for a crest? No thank you! Not when we had, in my opinion, a classic in the Streaking Skate logo. I wanted uniform stability for once.

Fast forward two years later when the Canucks were rumoured to be changing the logo and colours. Don Taylor, then with CKVU's Sports Page, was writing a weekly column for The Province at the time. He strongly felt that Johnny Canuck has earned his rightful place to be the Canucks' primary crest. I thought about it as I was walking across the Burrard Street Bridge to work. The Penguins had the popular Skating Penguin(not at the time) and the Blackhawks had Chief Black Hawk. I then watched my VHS tape of that Coach's Corner segment. I paused it and looked very closely at the Johnny Canuck image.....and then IT HIT ME. :o I swallowed my Canuck pride and realized that Grapes and Donny were 110% right. What is a Canuck?? And who's the lumberjack?? There's your answer right there.

I hated to see the Skate go with all the memories of the '80s and early '90s and all my favourite players who had donned the crest both on the Flying V's and on the front. However, if it meant going with something that truly represented the Canucks' heritage and history, then Johnny was the way to go. I've been a Johnny Canuck supporter ever since.

And again, if the simple and elegant Stick 'n Rink C were to be the Canucks' primary crest, then at least, put the Skating JC on the shoulders.

Good points on each side of the argument, though I don't think anyone is going to budge on their views!

An updated striping scheme for my "V" design - trying for something a bit sleeker and modern looking. If we're going to change our look, let's really change it and not rehash some old designs! They can still use the shoulder patches for the stick and rink or Johnny V logo.

Canucks16.png

Beautiful! I was just about to say that shoulder striping was what that look needed.

PJ, again you are 110% correct. However, we NEED to STOP making our Canuck logo debate PERSONAL. It is frustrating when others don't agree with us and don't see where we're coming from. Even when we get scolded by others for our views and opinions, don't feed into their emotions. It only cancels out our fair argument.

Actually, I was finally able to convince an Orca logo supporter on the message board of a well-known sports logo and uniform website to see how good Johnny Canuck would look on a Canucks jersey. Don't get me wrong. He and I went back and forth about the Orca and JC. However, we both agreed on the Stick 'n Rink. Bottom line is, we both debated in a civilized way. This poster is almost half my age which explains why he favours the current jerseys just like when I favoured our '94 Skate uniforms at the time. We both agreed to disagree and then one day, the Skating JC suddenly grew on him. He replaced the Orca with the Skating Johnny in his avatar(the picture identity of the poster).

Now on with our wonderful and insightful debate! : :D

Here is a Canucks video that explains the Canucks' true heritage and history. Pay attention at the :39 second mark.

Makes more of an argument for the sharp Aviator logo in this thread (JC being a war hero inspiration rather than a lumberjack).

Makes more of an argument for the sharp Aviator logo in this thread (JC being a war hero inspiration rather than a lumberjack).

Rather a pilot than the hipster lumberjack.

Here's a few theories of how the word 'Canuck' came to be

Several dictionaries simply state that it is an alteration of Canada or Canada. More than one theory holds that the name began as an informal self-appellation by an early Canadian minority, and later acquired a national identity. A few sources explain the ending as coming from Inuktitut inuk (man, person), from Chinook (Aboriginal people of the U.S. Pacific Northwest), or another Canadian Aboriginal ending like -uc, -uq, or -oc.

Another theory is that the name is from the surname Connaught, used as a French-Canadian nickname for the Irish. Yet another speculates that the origin is Laurentian kanata (village), which is also the origin of Canada. It has also been thought to come from Iroquoian Canuchasa (hut), German Genug von Canada (enough of Canada), or French quelle canule.

Since 1975, a number of linguists have come to believe that the name probably comes from Hawaiian kanaka (man), a self-appellation of indentured colonial canoemen and Hawaiian sailors working off the Pacific Northwest, Arctic, and New England coasts. The term may have come to English through French canaque, or more likely, via American whalers. Compare English Kanak and French Kanak or canaque (black person), Austrian German Kanake.

Lol! That's hilarious!

Yeah, my gf is a big MR fan, too! I liked him, but I guess it was his time to go. We'll be seeing lots of him, now that he's in Calgary.

I was surprised to see the Canucks let Santorelli go to the Leafs. I thought for sure, they'd resign him. Oh well, I have way more faith in the current Canuck management than before with Gillis. Good hockey people in Linden, Benning, Desjardins, etc... It'll take some time, but hope for competitive success in the very near future.

Big high five to all that.

please, change your name to 'loving orcas,' if there is any justice.

show me where on the internet, it states as fact that changing our logo/name to orca is a 'good start.'

i told u before not to believe everything u read about canucks/canadians. when people see j. canuck, they will likely say 'nice.' a canuck and he plays hockey. it is not a stretch. it actually makes perfectly good sense. we are a hockey team and the logo works for our sport and our nickname. the only thing they may question is why did it take so long to put him on our jersey when he has always been there. get the logo right and the jersey design and this one will be a best seller.

when i look at your logo, i see a fella wearing a batman outfit, loving orcas. that's it. it fits you and i don't try to look for any deeper meaning. some might question the need to represent your psychological ambience with a comic portrayal / transference or projection of some imaginary figurine but i don't. as far as loving orcas, well i can only wonder that the orca may be the only thing that gets wet when it sees you.

Bull.

Learn about paragraphs and capital letters.

You have your opinion (propaganda), you have your opinion (propaganda).

The Orca logo had nothing at all to do with McCaw. NOTHING. It was on it's way in before McCaw ever bought 49% of the team (as I've already pointed out numerous times) and as MINORITY owner it was Griffiths that had final say as MAJORITY owner. If you're playing the blame game for the Orca logo at least blame the correct people: Griffiths and Quinn. McCaw wanted to change the team name to Orca's? Any proof? No? Because it's nonsense. Utter nonsense. As is most of your opinions on this matter. Keep clutching at straws there.

If the Acquilini's were so opposed to the Orca logo why didn't they simply do away with it the last uniform change instead of just changing the colors?

Good afternoon, Baggins!

Again, I'm re-posting to you from earlier this week what I've found archived on the Internet from reputable sources like the Vancouver Sun, The Province, wikipedia, & sportsbusinessdaily.com. I suggest you read it through & do your own digging to see the truth. You can try to discredit me with your false ideas, but I've come up with the facts & the sources for you to find yourself.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you based on facts. Before you start saying that I'm spewing nonsense. I did some digging on the internet and found relevant information. Information on past sports articles quoted from The Province & The Vancouver Sun concerning the ownership & the orca logo, that is contrary to what you're saying.

GRIFFITHS OPTS OUT OF ORCA BAY AS MCCAW TAKE OVER INTEREST

Published November 13, 1996

Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment Chair John McCaw has

purchased all remaining shares in Orca Bay held by VP Arthur

Griffiths, officially ending the Griffiths family's 22 years of

sports ownership in Vancouver. Orca Bay owns the Canucks,

Grizzlies and GM Place. Griffiths will remain with the company

as Orca Bay Vice Chair and serve as Alternate Governor for both

the NHL and NBA. Griffiths will also continue to chair the

Canuck Place Board and serve as a Director on the Canuck

Foundation and Grizzlies Foundation boards (Orca Bay). Griffiths

said it was his decision to sell, calling it in the "best

interest of myself and the business." Griffiths: "I went to John

and asked him to buy me out. It was not something he wanted to

do." McCaw now owns 100% of the Grizzlies and GM Place and

assumes responsibility of about C$120M of debt on GM Place. He

also owns 72% with the right to acquire another 14% of Northwest

Sports Enterprises, which owns the Canucks. The remaining 14% of

the Canucks is owned by Art Rennison (Paul Chapman, Vancouver

PROVINCE, 11/13). McCaw had taken over majority control of Orca

Bay from Griffiths in March '95 and his ownership percentage has

"steadily increased" (Howard Tsumura, Vancouver PROVINCE, 11/13).

Archie McDonald of the VANCOUVER SUN writes Griffiths' share in

the Canucks had recently shrunk to "about" 10% (VANCOUVER SUN,

11/13).

In a timeline sense:

March 1995 - McCaw buys 51% & majority control of the organization from Griffiths & forms the Northwest Entertainment Group

August 22, 1995 - Northwest Entertainment Group is rebranded as Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment

November 12, 1996 - McCaw assumes full control & ownership of Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment. Griffiths stays on in a figure head capacity.

May 1997 - the orca logo is introduced as the new Canuck logo. According to Jim Jamieson of The Province dated April 30, 1997, a Vancouver TV station (maybe BCTV or CKVU Sports Page) conducted a telephone poll that resulted in a 78% disapproval rating for the new Orca logo for the Canucks.

So saying that Griffiths was the majority owner of Orca Bay at that time is a falsehood & your facts are skewed. As well, does Quinn really have control over a logo change? He was an employee, he might have had some input, but he had to tow the Orca Bay line or be fired. However if he had to pick a new logo at that time, he probably picked the best of the worst.

As far as a possible nickname change at that time, like I said I heard rumours were rampant in the corridors of Rogers Arena (née GM Place) that McCaw & his Orca Bay yes-men were considering the concept of a name change. It did not happen because of the fear of alienating the Vancouver Canuck fans.

But here's further proof that I'm not making it up, as you so insultingly infer. As published on sportsbusinessdaily.com titled Franchise Notes dated March 20, 1997 (over a month before the McCaw orca logo introduction):

Malcolm Parry writes the

"buzz" at GM Place is that Orca Bay Chair John McCaw "plans

to rename our (that is, his) Canucks hockey team the

Vancouver Orcas, thus reflecting the team-owning Orca Bay

Corp's title and eliminating the present team name's alleged

pejorative context in parts of the southern U.S." (VANCOUVER

SUN, 3/20).

So there's them apples for you to digest!

As for the Aquilinis, I'm sure they want to get rid of the orca logo & put their own mark of a new era for the Canucks. At the last release of the current Orca jersey, the Aquilinis were in the middle of a lawsuit concerning the Canuck ownership. I'm sure the NHL advised Aquilinis not to change the logo, in case they lose the lawsuit. As well, I get the feeling the Aquilinis are not fond of the Orca logo, otherwise it would be showing on all their division, conference & presidents trophy winning banners hanging in the rafters of Rogers Arena.

Baggins, we agree to disagree. I'm presenting investigative facts proving why the Orca logo is NOT an appropriate logo for the Canucks, who controlled logo change from the skate to orca & what the orca logo's original intended purpose to push the Orca Bay corporate brand & to change the team's nickname.

I want to do your own research to prove me wrong. But you can't.

We're constructively debating here. But you won't.

When people don't see it your way, all you do is throw insults, slights & misleading information!

It's time to be constructive, Baggins!

Just say you like the orca logo because it looks nice to you & that's it.

To me, an Orca is not a Canuck & a Canuck is not an orca!

I like Johnny and if their is a way to work him into a logo without looking amateur the. I'm all for it. But please not the Vouchon logo. I don't want initials of VC. I don't think those two letters work well together. We should've never changed the stick n rink, maybe minor tweeks only. Flyers haven't touched theirs and any hockey person will know what that stands for at first glance.

Yup, the Flyers logo is a perfect example of a simple classic hockey logo that makes sense.

Yup, the Flyers logo is a perfect example of a simple classic hockey logo that makes sense.

Just a quick glance shows that most letter based logos use the city letter as opposed to the nickname's.

Unless we're going to use the stick-in-rink C, I'd like to see a 'V' on our jersey (very unique too, as C's are common).

The stick in rink fails in every area you claim the Orca fails. Your own words. Slap lipstick on that.

Of course the Orca is easily explained to the unknowing. It's a C for Canuck shaped like an Orca which is common off the coast of BC and done in the Haida art style. The Haida being indigenous to BC. I'm sure anybody asking about the logo that has an ounce of intelligence would get it then. How does is stick in rink identifiable as a Canuck to the unknowing? Well it isn't without explanation. Even with Johnny, most Americans would be more likely to identify him as Paul Bunyon and need an explanation.

An orca is not a Canuck & the orca does not represent Vancouver as a whole.

An orca is not a Canuck & the orca does not represent Vancouver as a whole.

A stick in rink is not a Canuck and does not represent Vancouver as a whole.

Johnny may be a "Canuck" but does not represent Vancouver as a whole because we are not French Canadian

An Orca is not a Canuck

A flying skate is not a Canuck

A V with the words Vancouver is not a Canuck, but represent Vancouver

Archived