The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Out of the 30 teams in the NHL, 8 of them have animal nicknames (Anaheim, Arizona, Boston, Detroit, Florida, Nashville, Pittsburgh & San Jose).

Those eight teams have their respective animal or a part of their animal on their primary or secondary logos, which make sense.

With the exception of the Canucks, there are an additional 4 teams that use an animal in their primary/secondary logos that is not their nickname...

or use the nickname of an animal that is symbolized in a different manner that makes sense:

Chicago Blackhawks: an animal nickname that does not use an animal logo because the team was named in honor of a military unit nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division", after a Native American of the Sauk nation, Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois. Makes perfect sense.

Buffalo Sabres: a logo that uses a galloping buffalo that the city is named for & two crossed sabres. Makes perfect sense.

Minnesota Wild: uses the silhouette of a wolf head with the wild forest scene, star for an eye, and the moon inside the logo. Eventhough this logo is ugly & busy, it makes sense.

Washington Capitals: secondary logo is an American bald eagle that symbolizes many US national government departments in the US capital. Makes sense.

To summarize, 8 teams have their animal nicknames directly linked to their primary/secondary logos & the additional 4 mentioned teams with the exception to the rule.

But they have all something in common, THEY MAKE SENSE.

The Canucks nickname is in the same realm as the remaining unmentioned 17 NHL teams except for one problem, the orca C logo is ill conceived & it does not make sense.

Case in point:

Calgary: a simple flaming C logo, without any burning animal on it. Makes sense.

Carolina: a simple & ugly hurricane with a puck at the eye of the storm logo, without any animal swirling around the logo. Makes sense.

Colorado: a simple swooshing snow avalanche wrapped around the A logo, without any skiing/snowboarding animal on it. Makes sense.

Columbus: a simple Ohio state flag wrapped around a star logo, without any insect or any other animal on it. Makes sense.

Dallas: a simple D in front the star logo, without any animal on it. Makes sense.

Edmonton: simple oilers word marking inside a circle with an oil drop on top logo, without any oil slicked animal on it. Makes sense.

Los Angeles: simple city initials with a king's crown inside a shield without involving animal on it. Makes sense.

Montreal: simple & classic CH logo, sans un animal sautant par le logo. Makes sense.

New Jersey: a simple state's initials of NJ with the J given horns & a devil tail logo, without the Sopranos or any animal on it. Makes sense.

NY Rangers: simple & classic word marking inside shield logo, without involving animal on it. Makes sense.

NY Islanders: a simple NY with a hockey stick with puck in front of Long Island with the Islanders word marking at the bottom of the logo, without any animal jumping off the island. Makes sense.

Ottawa: a simple head of a Roman senator dressed up as a Roman commander logo, without an animal stealing his lime light. Makes sense.

Philadelphia: simple & classic flying P with a highlighted puck inside the loop of the P logo, without any animal flying out of it. Makes sense.

St. Louis: a simple blue musical note logo, without any musically talented animal on it. Makes sense.

Tampa Bay: a simple lightning bolt logo, without any animal getting electrocuted on it. Make sense.

Toronto: simple word marking inside a maple leaf logo, without any animal jumping out of it. Makes sense.

Winnipeg: a simple fighter jet over the RCAF logo, without any bombed animal on it. Makes sense.

Besides the obvious C for the Canucks, why is it necessary to have an orca whale jumping out of the C? It is the only logo in the NHL that DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. It is absolutely ridiculous to have the Canuck nickname be associated with a whale.

I've had many family, friends & colleagues visiting Vancouver in the past, 75% of them are knowledgeable hockey fans. They've have asked as to why there's an orca on the logo. I've explained it to them that it was a creation from the former Orca Bay ownership under John McCaw.

All of them have stated that the Orca Logo misidentifies the Canuck nickname & that if the ownership wants an animal on there logo, they should change the team nickname to tie in with that animal. Or keep the Canuck nickname and change to a non-animal logo to better identify the team. Because the orca logo makes the Canuck organization look bush & indecisive when it comes to their true identity.

As well, when these people come to Vancouver & BC, I can tell you 100% without doubt that they're NOT thinking about whales representing the city & the province. Their view of Vancouver & BC are the mountains, oceans, beaches, & outdoor activities (skiing, snowboarding, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc...). Whale watching doesn't even come close to their association with this area.

Out of the 30 teams in the NHL, 8 of them have animal nicknames (Anaheim, Arizona, Boston, Detroit, Florida, Nashville, Pittsburgh & San Jose).

Those eight teams have their respective animal or a part of their animal on their primary or secondary logos, which make sense.

I've had many family, friends & colleagues visiting Vancouver in the past, 75% of them are knowledgeable hockey fans. They've have asked as to why there's an orca on the logo. I've explained it to them that it was a creation from the former Orca Bay ownership under John McCaw.

All of them have stated that the Orca Logo misidentifies the Canuck nickname & that if the ownership wants an animal on there logo, they should change the team nickname to tie in with that animal. Or keep the Canuck nickname and change to a non-animal logo to better identify the team. Because the orca logo makes the Canuck organization look bush & indecisive when it comes to their true identity.

As well, when these people come to Vancouver & BC, I can tell you 100% without doubt that they're NOT thinking about whales representing the city & the province. Their view of Vancouver & BC are the mountains, oceans, beaches, & outdoor activities (skiing, snowboarding, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc...). Whale watching doesn't even come close to their association with this area.

You sure are passionate about your hate for all things orca, PJ.

Can you enlighten me on the Red Wings nickname being related to an animal?

You missed the abominable snowman's footprint that is used as shoulder patch by the Avs.

Lastly, for me, I don't think many Canucks fan, me included, gives a rats @$$ about what hockey fans outside Canucks nation think about our logo. If they don't "get it", who cares and why do we have to justify it to anyone other than ourselves?

Sounds to me you've got a lot of friends who don't like the Canucks...you need new friends, PJ. Just kidding...I'm sure your friends are awesome.

Minnesota Wild: uses the silhouette of a wolf head with the wild forest scene, star for an eye, and the moon inside the logo. Eventhough this logo is ugly & busy, it makes sense.

it's a bear, not a wolf...

Minnesota-Wild-Logo.gif

notice the short muzzle and round ear indicative of a bear, not a wolf, who has a long muzzle and pointy ears.

o-BLACK-BEAR-facebook.jpg

mexican-gray-wolf.jpg

You sure are passionate about your hate for all things orca, PJ.

Can you enlighten me on the Red Wings nickname being related to an animal?

You missed the abominable snowman's footprint that is used as shoulder patch by the Avs.

Lastly, for me, I don't think many Canucks fan, me included, gives a rats @$$ about what hockey fans outside Canucks nation think about our logo. If they don't "get it", who cares and why do we have to justify it to anyone other than ourselves?

Sounds to me you've got a lot of friends who don't like the Canucks...you need new friends, PJ. Just kidding...I'm sure your friends are awesome.

Canuck fans like PJ, Granpappy, and myself are extremely passionate about our dislike for the Orca because we want our true Canucks brand, which includes our original NHL crest, the Stick 'n Rink C and our heritage crest, Johnny Canuck, from the club's days in the Pacific Coast/Western Hockey League.

Just like Sabre fans were and still are passionate about their dislike for the Banana Slug when they wanted their true blue and gold round crest with the Sabre swords and the charging white buffalo.

Ok, after looking at some of the comments on my last design, I have tweaked it. No more whale tail, no whale at all, no flappy corners, a V for Vancouver, narrower shoulder yokes, and a bit more green in the white jersey. Not perfect, but an improvement!

I call it the "Stick in V" :

Canucks_Stick_In_V_1.png

and some alternate colour schemes:

Canucks_Stick_In_V_2.png

The arm striping was based on my last design, so it may not fit quite right here, but I'll change it later if necessary.

The white jersey with blue trim has wider accent stripes at the bottom and on the arm. Not sure which is better?

As for the logo, yeah..... maybe a bit redundant to just re-do the stick in rink into a V shape, but I think the V is a bit more obvious than the C in the current stick in rink. I don't think I realized it was supposed to even be a C until I saw the write up on the designer on the Canuck web site a while back!

I just realized I have the old stick in rink on the shoulders.... so that should probably be changed to the Johnny V or something.

Besides the obvious C for the Canucks, why is it necessary to have an orca whale jumping out of the C? It is the only logo in the NHL that DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. It is absolutely ridiculous to have the Canuck nickname be associated with a whale.

What does our logo have in common with Detroit, Buffalo, New Jersey, Minnesota and even Calgary (just to name few)? Their logo's represent both the team name and where the team plays. That does make sense. You simply choose to ignore it.

looks like it belongs to a road construction team.

Vancouver caution signs.

I like the shoulders and sleeves though. the logo just needs to be changed.

heh i guess it does. it reminded me of the superman logo at first

Tough crowd :sadno: Hard to use any simple shape without somebody complaining it looks like something else.

Any suggestions on what to do to the logo to improve it?

I for one much appreciate the time and effort you're putting in. Can't help but notice the people making somewhat rude comments aren't putting forth their own designs. Keep on plugging sir, I'm enjoying looking at them.

Yeah, I know it's not a copy, but there is a similarity... much like the whale tail, superman comparisons, etc. Even if not intended, that's what people will say. Its tough to come up with something completely unique, especially when you're trying to keep the design simple.

Updated my design so it doesn't look so much like a caution sign - hopefully better.

Canucks_Stick_In_V_3.png

Archived