The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trades that made you sad

CALGARY!

I was reading some of the threads on here about the Kesler trade, and most of you guys went from sticking up for everything the guy did to hating his guts the day he left. So I decided to make a thread about trades that you were sad about, could be your face team or any team, or losing a player to free agency.

For me when Mike Vernon left Calgary I was a little kid and literally cried, my dad had to come into my room and talk to me, he told me not to worry Trevor Kidd was a really good young goalie and the flames would be ok lol. I was also very sad when Al McInnis left and we got Phil Housley back. Lastly the Iginla trade made me sad, but also happy for him, I was happy he got to play with the elite center men we never could provide him in Pittsburgh.

I also felt bad about how Marty St.Louis left Tampa. On a side note, did anyone hear know St Louis got his NHL start in Calgary? I was at a game and remember asking my dad who that St Louis guy was, my dad said he was too small to play in the NHL. Lol

Hodgson blew my mind when it happened. Last second and all.

I'm glad now.

I was so fired up when we got Kassian but that excitement was instantly killed when I saw we had to give up Hodgson. Obviously I'm over that now.

I was flat out stunned when Luongo was traded. I knew it was coming, I was just shocked he was dealt when we technically still had a chance at making the playoffs.

Personally, most recently, the trade that made me sad was the Kesler trade, albeit, it was inevitable with his decision to move on. From a Canucks fan perspective, having some quality players coming back to our organization helps to tide over the situation.

Another trade was Cory Schneider to New Jersey, as others mentioned. (That move somewhat threw a wrench in my hopes of Brodeur staying with one organization his entire career, which is still applicable now but not sure about the future...)

Tried Schneider vs SJ and he didn't save us. So i'm not all that sad about the trade. Esp. now since we don't know how good Horvat is yet. If he doesn't pan out and Cory wins a cup, then it'll sting a bit more. Good guy though.

The Luongo trade back to Fla kinda brought about sadness. Nostalgia mostly.

The Kesler trade brings about more anger than sadness, but by then the regime change and rebuild was well underway.

The Hodgson trade was upsetting in that it made little sense at the time and it came outta the blue. But sad? Nah.

The Bure fiasco was full of emotions. I'm sure one of them was sadness.

Bill Muckalt going to NYI was kinda sad because he actually cried.

Giving up on K-Con was annoying at the time. If he pans out it will be upsetting. But not sad.

None of these have the impact of say, Pronger to Anaheim.

More recently i really felt bad about losing Hodgson mostly because we didnt have any real good prospects beside him, so i was really into following him through junior and the pros and then losing him in a last minute trade, were there was no warning stunned me and made me a little upset at the time, but then again i didnt know anything about Kass at that time.

Kesler trade still makes me sad. Not because I don't like the return, I think the return is really good actually. It's sad because he's my favourite Canuck. And I just bought a new Canucks jersey this January after 10 years, deciding whether I should get either a Kesler, Sedin, or Luongo jersey. After much deliberating between H. Sedin and Kesler, I went with Kesler. I knew that he probably wasn't going to be a lifer, but he edged out Sedin because he's one of my favourite players. So that trade will always be sad to me, even if the Canucks end up winning in the long term.

Bad trades don't make me sad, they just piss me off.

From a personal standpoint, I was only sad to see Luongo and Schneider go. I wasn't at all devastated about seeing Kesler's and Hodgson's enormous egos shipped out of town.

In time, I'll forgive Kesler (in the same sort of way as Bure, perhaps). Hodgson was good for us, but didn't stay long enough for me to really develop any attachment.

I was reading some of the threads on here about the Kesler trade, and most of you guys went from sticking up for everything the guy did to hating his guts the day he left. So I decided to make a thread about trades that you were sad about, could be your face team or any team, or losing a player to free agency.

For me when Mike Vernon left Calgary I was a little kid and literally cried, my dad had to come into my room and talk to me, he told me not to worry Trevor Kidd was a really good young goalie and the flames would be ok lol. I was also very sad when Al McInnis left and we got Phil Housley back. Lastly the Iginla trade made me sad, but also happy for him, I was happy he got to play with the elite center men we never could provide him in Pittsburgh.

I also felt bad about how Marty St.Louis left Tampa. On a side note, did anyone hear know St Louis got his NHL start in Calgary? I was at a game and remember asking my dad who that St Louis guy was, my dad said he was too small to play in the NHL. Lol

Re: "Trevor Kidd was a really good young goalie" -- an example of one of those little white lies dad's tell their kids to make them feel better.

Sad trade for the 'nucks: Gino Odjick for Jason Strudwick.

Archived