The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lightning re-sign Ben Bishop

Great deal, Bishop is a top 5 goalie in the league if he can keep it up from last year which I believe he will. To think that STL had this guy and let him go for a 2nd rounder...

Or OTT let go of him for Cory Conacher, who was later put on waivers and claimed by BUF, essentially giving away Bishop...hindsight is 20/20, but wow, those are foolish mistakes

Great deal, Bishop is a top 5 goalie in the league if he can keep it up from last year which I believe he will. To think that STL had this guy and let him go for a 2nd rounder...

Or OTT let go of him for Cory Conacher, who was later put on waivers and claimed by BUF, essentially giving away Bishop...hindsight is 20/20, but wow, those are foolish mistakes

It also goes to show you what the market is like for goalies. And that a 9th overall pick for Cory Schneider all of a sudden doesn't look so bad.

Wow, 6 million dollars for a goaltender with 100 games NHL experience....

I know someone is going to quote me and say 'derp well Schneids isn't much more experienced'

I think Bishop is a great goaltender, but I don't think he and Cory are on the same level.

This is crazy. Played less than 100 NHl games and gets that type of cap hit? Yowsa

Bobrovsky had around 100 games when he signed his 5+ million contract so it's not that crazy.

They probably saw how they did without him and knew they needed him, plus he is 27 entering his prime years. It's going to cost more

Bishop had one good year, i would have waited until half way thru this season if I were Stevie Y just to make sure last year wasn't a fluke. Then I would have given him a big $$$ extension.

I'd agree with that considering this is already very big money for a goalie that's still proving himself as a starter, but it's a short deal they aren't stuck with if it doesn't pan out somehow.

It also goes to show you what the market is like for goalies. And that a 9th overall pick for Cory Schneider all of a sudden doesn't look so bad.

It was the highest draft pick ever attained for a goalie in NHL history. In a deep draft to boot.

I have always said the same thing about the Schneider trade.

The Devils win for the first 4 years. Schneider from 27 to 31 . When Horvat hits about 22 or so, we take over and win the trade.

The dollar is pretty high considering his GP but at least the term is short.

It was the highest draft pick ever attained for a goalie in NHL history. In a deep draft to boot.

I have always said the same thing about the Schneider trade.

The Devils win for the first 4 years. Schneider from 27 to 31 . When Horvat hits about 22 or so, we take over and win the trade.

A trade that benefits both teams involved? That's crazy talk.

its funny how we pretty much have a carbon copy of that guy in lack but everyone wanted a vet....instead of improving the team in front of lack we paid big bucks for a guy that for the most part wont give us any better tending than lack...

You're probably right about Miller not outperforming Lack, but I think the reason is to bring in an experienced goalie to take the pressure off Lack. If they didn't do this they risk hurting Lack's development and shattering his confidence.

As far as the Bishop signing, solid move by the Lightning. Stevie Y knows what he's doing.

Archived