29 replies to this topic

#1 Ovi one kenobi

Ovi one kenobi

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

It seems to me that benning has tried trade Shinkaruk many times. This would seem to suggest that he 

does not think that he is a key piece of the canucks future. So I think that we all have to explore the possibility of a Shinkaruk deal. I personally think we could get a second or a prospect that benning likes. 

#2 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,352 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

POPULAR

Trading Shinkaruk for a 2nd couldn't be more pointless...When was the last time we've had a prospect with his potential?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#3 Ovi one kenobi

Ovi one kenobi

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

I wouldn't do that but i think thats his value after an unlucky season.

#4 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

POPULAR

Oooor maybe hes the first prospect every gm asks for in a trade?

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#5 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

If we trade Shink for a 2nd round pick. 

does-not-compute-nostalgia-c-o.gif

Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#6 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

It seems to me that benning has tried trade Shinkaruk many times. This would seem to suggest that he 
does not think that he is a key piece of the canucks future. So I think that we all have to explore the possibility of a Shinkaruk deal. I personally think we could get a second or a prospect that benning likes.

ok, lets get on it. Which GMs are you going to call?

#7 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

is that because insiders or outsiders put his name in trade rumors and say that, benning wants that to happen....

i haven't heard benning say anything about that....people like to give us what they think he is thinking....and we swallow

it as truth....so gullible .....we'll believe everything...

#8 Me_

Me_

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

CGY
Shinkaruk

VAN
1st '15 (CGY)

#9 DrJockitch

DrJockitch

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Well if teams are looking for a good prospect who are they going to go for.  We aren't giving up Horvat, we gave up a hell of a player for him, Virtanen is Benning's first pick and a local kid, McCann is the key piece in the Kessler deal, he isn't going anywhere.  Doubt the interest in Gaunce and Jensen is that high.    

These are all unsubstantiated rumours anyway.  I don't think he is being shopped, his name is just the most natural to pop up in rumours.  The recent pattern would suggest MH Tigers aren't going anywhere.  

Maybe he pissed off Linden's mom though, then he is as good as gone.

#10 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

Thread of the year.

#11 Sweathog

Sweathog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

is that because insiders or outsiders put his name in trade rumors and say that, benning wants that to happen....
i haven't heard benning say anything about that....people like to give us what they think he is thinking....and we swallow
it as truth....so gullible .....we'll believe everything...

Exactly, we don't know if Benning has ever tried to shop Shinkaruk.

#12 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,532 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

I think trading him would be a big mistake; he should have made the team last year and he wasn't even healthy.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#13 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,352 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

I think trading him would be a big mistake; he should have made the team last year and he wasn't even healthy.

I really think a healthy Shinkaruk makes the 2nd line LW this season, barring a trade to fill that spot.

Back to the OP, why would we even consider trading Shinkaruk in the first place?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#14 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Didn't Murph or someone interview Benning about that?

They were talking about the trade for the first overall pick, and whoever it was mentioned the package that Dreger reported and Benning said it was false.

I'm not 100%, maybe someone can confirm?

Posted Image

#15 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,281 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

Let me be totally honest here.  You have a 100 point player in the WHL that you're offering up for a 2nd round pick or a prospect.

Can you name any other players in the WHL that scored around 100 points recently basically on one leg?  And where did they get drafted again?

Oh that's right.  1st overall this year.  But hey, Sam Reinhart only needs to hurt himself once and he'll go for a 2nd or prospect.

Hey, Virtanen at 17 came close to a 50 goal season right?  But his shoulder is hurt.  Think we can pawn him off for a 3rd to some unlucky team?

See what I am getting at?  There was NEVER any substance to any Shinkaruk rumour.  Nor can you honestly say with ANY credibility that Benning doesn't like him when Benning has stated the exact opposite more than  a few times.

But hey, I got a penny now

CIaude Giroux Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#16 C.S.Strowbridge

C.S.Strowbridge

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

A second round pick and a top prospect is more like it. If I recall, we are short on right-wingers in our prospect pool, especially compared to center, so maybe that's a deal that would make sense.

#17 Gstank29

Gstank29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Let me be totally honest here.  You have a 100 point player in the WHL that you're offering up for a 2nd round pick or a prospect.

Can you name any other players in the WHL that scored around 100 points recently basically on one leg?  And where did they get drafted again?

Oh that's right.  1st overall this year.  But hey, Sam Reinhart only needs to hurt himself once and he'll go for a 2nd or prospect.

Hey, Virtanen at 17 came close to a 50 goal season right?  But his shoulder is hurt.  Think we can pawn him off for a 3rd to some unlucky team?

See what I am getting at?  There was NEVER any substance to any Shinkaruk rumour.  Nor can you honestly say with ANY credibility that Benning doesn't like him when Benning has stated the exact opposite more than  a few times.

But hey, I got a penny now

he had 16 points on one leg in 18 games....

#18 N7Nucks

N7Nucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Annnnnnd clear troll.

#19 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

If we got Reinhart, I would've been okay giving up Shinkaruk ...

For a 2nd round pick? ... lulz ...

#20 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

I've heard Benning mention Shinkaruk's name about five separate times in reference to this team's future and the strength of the prospect pool. So I don't get the sense he's in any rush to move him or is actively shopping him.

That said, Hunter is a good asset and it's only natural his name would come up during discussions. Very few of our prospects are untouchable. If it meant improving the team, now and into the future, I think Benning would deal just about anyone. Horvat used to be close to untouchable, given how he was acquired, but that was the old regime. Benning isn't bound by the same rules. But I'd say that Virtanen, at this time, has become Benning's Horvat (ie: what he was to Gillis), and is nearly untouchable. McCann is similar, because of the Kesler association. But almost anyone else could be moved, if the right deal came around (and Shinkaruk would be at the top of that list for many teams).

However, it really feels like Benning has made all his big moves for this season, so things should stay quiet for a while now. And I really don't believe he was ever looking to move Shinkaruk, at any point since he was hired.

#21 spook007

spook007

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

Troll alert...

#22 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Benning only seemed to consider moving Shinkaruk to move up in the draft or in a package for Kane.

#23 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

Eklund or Shinkaruk?

Mmmmm.

#24 RogerEpic5

RogerEpic5

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

he had 16 points on one leg in 18 games....

Yes, but he also played while being injured in 2012/2013 season.. and put up 86 points.. He ignored his injury and he knows he can't continue to play like this so he decided that enough was enough playing injured and eventually got the surgery he needed on his hip I believe..? This guy's going to be a stud, he was the steal of the draft in 2013... just like McCann was the steal of the draft in this year's draft... 2 of them should have gotten picked around the 10-20th pick..

Edited by RogerEpic5, 03 August 2014 - 11:29 AM.

2qwhgcg.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck!

#25 Canuckz101

Canuckz101

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

Moving Shinkaruk would be a huge step backwards for the organization when scoring is the one great problem we have. His skill is off the charts. We haven't had a game breaking young talent with his snipe skills since Bure. We need that. All I can say is if he is traded then we have to be getting a player with the same potential and talent back or it's counterproductive. Makes no sense trading huge talent when we are rebuilding our talent base and NEED IT. Benning's not an idiot.

#26 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,188 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Oooor maybe hes the first prospect every gm asks for in a trade?

OoooOOOOooor maybe the rumours weren't true.

Didn't Murph or someone interview Benning about that?

They were talking about the trade for the first overall pick, and whoever it was mentioned the package that Dreger reported and Benning said it was false.

I'm not 100%, maybe someone can confirm?

Benning did shoot down the rumour that he was trying to trade Shinkaruk. That doesn't mean he wasn't in discussions, even for the first overall, but it doesn't mean he's shopping him either.

Edited by elvis15, 03 August 2014 - 12:01 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#27 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

^^that too.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#28 jdatb

jdatb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

Expendable my ass. Ur expendable.

#29 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

What a horrible thread devoid of anything remotely bordering on intelligence.

Despite the stupidity of the suggestion regarding a trade for a draft pick Shinkaruk is still a long shot to make this team or even have a career in the NHL.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#30 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

Keeping it real

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

cxKqZ.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.