The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) - will anyone stop them?

Heretic

For the real dope you can't find better than Gwynne Dyer. He will tell what's really going on.

Listen to your caliph and obey him. Support your state, which grows every day, said Abu Mohamed al-Adnani, announcing the rebirth of the Caliphate in the broad territory between Aleppo in northern Syria and Diyala province in eastern Iraq. It hasnt actually grown much more in the past couple of weeks, but it certainly intends to go on expanding. The radical Sunni Muslim organisation that conquered almost half of Iraq in a whirlwind week at the beginning of June has changed its name. Before, it was ISIS, the Islamic State in Iraq and al-Sham (the old Ottoman province that used to include Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Israel). But now it wishes to be known simply as the Islamic State for there can only be one such state, and it should include everywhere that Muslims have ever ruled. ISIS propagandists have even produced a map showing the ultimate borders that their Islamic State lays claim to. Spain and Portugal will be part of it, because they were ruled by Muslim conquerors during much of the Middle Ages. Iran, too (although something will have to be done about all those Shia Muslims). All of India except the southern tip should be under the rule of the Caliph, because Muslim invaders also ruled there as minorities for many centuries and of course Serbia, Croatia and Hungary will be part of the Islamic State, for the Ottomans conquered all the Balkans up to there. Not to mention half of Africa, and Indonesia, and southwestern Siberia (which was once ruled by the Sibir Khanate for a century or so). Theres no point in protesting that Muslims were never more than a small minority in many of these places, for the lads of ISIS believe that only Muslims indeed, only Sunni Muslims have rights. The legality of all emirates, groups, states and organisations becomes null by the expansion of the Caliphates authority and the arrival of its troops to their areas, al-Adnani helpfully explained. So much for the fantasy. Whats the reality? A group of jihadis have seized a big chunk of eastern Syria and western Iraq, erased the border between them, and declared an Islamic State. As little as ten thousand strong only a month ago, they have been rapidly growing in numbers as ISISs success attracts new recruits but they are obviously never going to reconquer India, Spain or Siberia. They arent going to make a dent in the two powerful states to the north of their Islamic State either. Iran, being overwhelmingly Shia, is immune to their charms and far too big to take by force. Turkey, although now governed by an Islamic party, is still a modern, secular state that is much too strong to attack. To the west and east ISIS is already at war with regimes that are either very tough (Bashar al- Assads war-hardened dictatorship in western and central Syria) or very Shia (the south-eastern slice of Iraq, densely populated and with a large Shia majority). The Islamic States central position between its two enemies gives it a strategic advantage, but not a decisive one. To the south are desert frontiers with more promising territory. Jordans population is about two-thirds Palestinian, and even among the Bedouin tribes that are the mainstay of King Abdullahs rule there was some enthusiasm for ISISs victory in Iraq. If Jordan fell, the Islamic State would reach right up to Israels borders, with incalculable consequences. Saudi Arabia would be a much tougher nut to crack, but the salafi religious ideology that animates ISIS is very close to the fundamentalist Wahhabi version of Islam that is the Saudi state religion. Thats why the Saudis gave arms and money to ISIS jihadis in the early days of the Syrian civil war, although they have subsequently recognised the threat that the organisation poses to the Saudi state. But even if ISIS gets very lucky, it is unlikely to get farther than that. Egypt blocks its expansion to the west, although the Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis extremists who are active in the Sinai peninsula undoubtedly have some ties with it. Even its direct rivals in the Refound-The-Caliphate business the original al-Qaeda, al-Shabab in north-east Africa, Boko Haram in northern Nigeria, and their lesser brethren are unlikely to accept the ISIS leader as caliph. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who now styles himself Caliph Ibrahim, has clearly been preparing himself for this moment for most of his adult life: he even chose the name of the first caliph, Abu Bakr, as his nom de guerre. His spokesman does not hide his soaring ambition: We hereby clarify to the Muslims that with this declaration of Khilafah (caliphate), it is incumbent upon all Muslims to pledge allegiance to the Khalifah Ibrahim and support him. They are not going to do that, and the sheer radicalism and intolerance of ISISs members make it unlikely that their project will survive unaltered for more than a year or so even in the territory that now makes up the Islamic State. Nevertheless, it is extraordinary that the 7th-century caliphate has reappeared even fleetingly in the modern world. Bush and Blair have a lot to answer for.
http://gwynnedyer.com/tag/isis/

I am part impressed in shock and awe of these guys, and part concerned just like everyone else. Thankfully with Gaza/Israel in the back burner for now, there will actually be some coverage of it here. I highly recommend Al Jazeera English to anyone here (filter out the bias as you will but the first hand footage in the region is second to none).

Anyway, also excited about the upcoming Vice series. Part 1 was released recently

ps the bigotry in this thread is pretty unreal

The balls of the camera crew to go right to the front line.

Amazing material.

Amazing material.

IMO these sorts of documentaries are pointless and dangerous as it gives these idiot terrorists more leverage and support. They basically spin these documentaries as propaganda material to the uneducated masses.

Also since the US has approved air strikes I really dont like the idea of this as i would much rather have the Iraqi and kurdish armies try to conduct themselves with US watching. Something smells like invasion again...

It's just funny how I remember Glenn Beck mentioning this as a possibility a few years back during the Arab Spring and lots of folks were thinking that he must be smoking something good..... ironically, things are starting to turn out how he predicted.

As for how to stop the ISIS.... you can't fight ideology with force, you gotta fight through tangible actions like building schools, hospitals, businesses, etc. Being a rebel/freedom fighter/revolutionary is all fine and dandy.... but if you're working a 9-5 job, 5 days per week, supporting a wife/husband and raising 3 kids.... your priorities changes. If you're poor, unemployed and uneducated.... you have lots of free time to think about how crappy your life is, rationalize it to how it's other people's fault and that you should get your "fair share"..... suddenly you're totting a AK-47 and out and about wanting to change the world to how you want.

Amazing material.

SAA are the true heros here. Fighting off constant attacks from none Syian men... This video fails to tell how many ISIS rats were killed taking the base.. Also the ISIS and FSA have been killing religious groups like Christians for well over a year now in Syria and nothing was done about it. Now it happens for a couple months in IRAQ and something is finally being done...

It's just funny how I remember Glenn Beck mentioning this as a possibility a few years back during the Arab Spring and lots of folks were thinking that he must be smoking something good..... ironically, things are starting to turn out how he predicted.

As for how to stop the ISIS.... you can't fight ideology with force, you gotta fight through tangible actions like building schools, hospitals, businesses, etc. Being a rebel/freedom fighter/revolutionary is all fine and dandy.... but if you're working a 9-5 job, 5 days per week, supporting a wife/husband and raising 3 kids.... your priorities changes. If you're poor, unemployed and uneducated.... you have lots of free time to think about how crappy your life is, rationalize it to how it's other people's fault and that you should get your "fair share"..... suddenly you're totting a AK-47 and out and about wanting to change the world to how you want.

Excellent points. If you look at many of these fighters there mostly young adults to middle age men, with the older men being the commanders or senior figures. I remember one of my profs in a class saying that they old men brainwash the younger recuirts into doing their dirty work. These people are promissed 72 virgins afterall... Jokes aside i think investing in the country is the way to go.

They're probably not as bad as ISIS, but the Syrian regime isn't exactly that sympathetic after how many civilians they've killed trying to keep power.

True, but better Assad then these bunch of guys leading the country.. Not that hard of a choice really.. Saddam kept Iraq in check and there was a heck of a lot less deaths and destruction then there is now... Syria isn't really that different from saudi arabia, Qatar and Bahrain all of witch are pretty much dictatorships yet allied with the Americans...

The front page of CNN is all over ISIS and seizing more Christian towns in Iraq. Yet for more then the last year Christians and other minorities in Syria have been ruthlessly killed and displaced by ISIS and branches of the FSA. Everyone is always talking about the mass amounts of Syrian's misplaced, yet the majority of the misplaced are from cities controlled by the FSA and ISIS. 1000s of Syrian minorities have been executed, forced to convert and nothing or very little was reported. Seems the only people coming to there aid thus far have been the Syrian Army..

True, but better Assad then these bunch of guys leading the country.. Not that hard of a choice really.. Saddam kept Iraq in check and there was a heck of a lot less deaths and destruction then there is now... Syria isn't really that different from saudi arabia, Qatar and Bahrain all of witch are pretty much dictatorships yet allied with the Americans...

Syria is definitely in a worse state now than it was 5 years ago. It is a pretty complicated situation though, not just ISIS vs. Assad. You've also got a ton of other rebel groups (eg. FSA, Kurdish forces, al Nusra, Islamic Front, etc.) all fighting Assad and ISIS. This map shows how much of a clusterfuck the sitation is at the moment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cities_and_towns_during_the_Syrian_Civil_War

The front page of CNN is all over ISIS and seizing more Christian towns in Iraq. Yet for more then the last year Christians and other minorities in Syria have been ruthlessly killed and displaced by ISIS and branches of the FSA. Everyone is always talking about the mass amounts of Syrian's misplaced, yet the majority of the misplaced are from cities controlled by the FSA and ISIS. 1000s of Syrian minorities have been executed, forced to convert and nothing or very little was reported. Seems the only people coming to there aid thus far have been the Syrian Army..

That's kind of misleading. Part of the reason for that is because the Syrian government bombs the shit out of rebel-held areas because they're the only warring faction with an air force.

Syria is definitely in a worse state now than it was 5 years ago. It is a pretty complicated situation though, not just ISIS vs. Assad. You've also got a ton of other rebel groups (eg. FSA, Kurdish forces, al Nusra, Islamic Front, etc.) all fighting Assad and ISIS. This map shows how much of a clusterfrack the sitation is at the moment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cities_and_towns_during_the_Syrian_Civil_War

That's kind of misleading. Part of the reason for that is because the Syrian government bombs the crap out of rebel-held areas because they're the only warring faction with an air force.

Very good points. I've been following that map for quite awhile now. You are right, it's one giant clusterfrack..

Bold part made me laugh:

WASHINGTON -- U.S. fighters dropped bombs on Islamic militants in Iraq Friday, the Pentagon said, carrying out President Barack Obama's promise of military force to counter the advancing militants and confront the threat they pose to Iraqi civilians and Americans still stationed there.

Pentagon press secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby said that two F/A-18 jets dropped 500-pound (227-kilogram) bombs on a piece of artillery and the truck towing it. Kirby said the fighters had taken off from the aircraft carrier USS George HW Bush in the Persian Gulf to conduct the mission. He said it wasn't clear how many militants might have been killed in the strike.

The Pentagon said the militants were using the artillery to shell Kurdish forces defending Irbil.

For the United States, it was a re-engagement in the long sectarian war from which American combat forces had been withdrawn -- on President Barack Obama's orders -- in late 2011.

In a televised speech Thursday night, Obama threatened to renew U.S. military involvement. At the same time, he announced that U.S. military planes already had carried out airdrops of food and water, at the request of the Iraqi government, to tens of thousands of Iraqi religious minorities atop a mountain surrounded by militants and desperately in need of supplies.

"America is coming to help," Obama declared.

That's what happens when Muslims or Islam is mentioned on this site.. Happens every time

Give me a break :picard:

The only people who think of these kinds of statements are the ones who refuse or don't interact much with other ethnic people/communities. If you actually talked or interacted with these people you would know many are against extremism and terrorism. Next time try not to lump an entire group because of some rotten eggs..

I said what "Some" Muslims are doing across the globe, and my interactions with the ones I know have been more of the less pleasant variety when it comes to their attitudes towards non-muslims and races besides "middle eastern". There are the rare occasions where I meet a muslim who is caring, kind, and completely against extremism, mostly they are the ones who have assimilated into Canada instead of only associating with other muslims due to language barriers, or choice.

But with all that is going on in the world, it is unfair to say I should not be vigilant and consider that any muslim could have the potential to perform an act of terrorism towards myself and those I love. It's hard to give someone a chance not to blow you up, because if you are wrong, then you are blown up....

Middle Eastern race...? That's what Muslims think as superior to everyone?

Intelligent bigots deserve a well articulated response but you're not one of them.

How does this sound?

Dumbass.

You are the dumbass if you think that comparing being robbed to being blown up by a suicide bomber are equal. You can always get your stuff back, plus I always have insurance so being robbed is really of no concern to me. Losing my life is something a tad more serious don't you think? But i get what you are trying to do, turn it into a racism issue so you can feel justified for arguing with me, because racism is bad and everyone knows it. Being afraid of terrorists is not racism, its the purpose of terror.

If I was on a bus with a middle eastern christian, I would not be afraid of them. If I was on the bus/train/plane/ or in a crowded place with a middle eastern with a long beard and a taqiyah, different story. It is my right to protect myself and it is not my fault that muslim extremists have ruined the perception of your religion, don't get mad at me, get mad at them.

You are the dumbass if you think that comparing being robbed to being blown up by a suicide bomber are equal. You can always get your stuff back, plus I always have insurance so being robbed is really of no concern to me. Losing my life is something a tad more serious don't you think? But i get what you are trying to do, turn it into a racism issue so you can feel justified for arguing with me, because racism is bad and everyone knows it. Being afraid of terrorists is not racism, its the purpose of terror.

If I was on a bus with a middle eastern christian, I would not be afraid of them. If I was on the bus/train/plane/ or in a crowded place with a middle eastern with a long beard and a taqiyah, different story. It is my right to protect myself and it is not my fault that muslim extremists have ruined the perception of your religion, don't get mad at me, get mad at them

I'm assuming you act like this lady:

If I was on a bus with a middle eastern christian, I would not be afraid of them. If I was on the bus/train/plane/ or in a crowded place with a middle eastern with a long beard and a taqiyah, different story. It is my right to protect myself and it is not my fault that muslim extremists have ruined the perception of your religion, don't get mad at me, get mad at them.

Right to protect yourself with what? Weapons?

Yeah lets escalate the situation even more... I don't think anyone would want to see you on a bus/train or plane either.

Archived