The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey talk

I meant that out of the potential moves made and players picked he could be the most valuable player picked up in the 2014 draft

I fully realize we traded our 50th overall pick aquired from Tampa in the garrison deal for him.

Everyone was bitching about it at the time because people wanted some defenseman with the pick mckeown

I've seen numerous posts on Facebook of people thinking we drafted him. It really sickens me.

I've seen more people on Facebook wonder why Demko, Virtanen, and McCann were wearing Burrows' number :P

I'd be happy with however the Canucks finish but I'm more interested in how he and the other younger guys on the team develop

I've seen more people on Facebook wonder why Demko, Virtanen, and McCann were wearing Burrows' number :P

I'd be happy with however the Canucks finish but I'm more interested in how he and the other younger guys on the team develop

I almost forgot about that. There were far more posts about that than Vey being drafted.

I meant that out of the potential moves made and players picked he could be the most valuable player picked up in the 2014 draft

I fully realize we traded our 50th overall pick aquired from Tampa in the garrison deal for him.

Everyone was bitching about it at the time because people wanted some defenseman with the pick mckeown

Mckeown is the 2nd overall pick behind McDavid in the OHL draft.... there is a reason why people wanted him.

The line of Burrows-Vey-Kassian might become a great second line next season.

Down the road, Shinkaruk-Vey-Kassian can become a great line if Shinkaruk pulls through.

I think that may be the big surprise this season, for our third line might end up being Vey@C, shink@LW, And possibly Higgins or Hansen with them

I don't know if vey and kassian should play together. Based on that "infusion of skill" article it seems like vey is the set up man that should play with shooters. Kassian was more of the set up man on his line as well

Sedin Sedin vrbata.

Burrows Bonino kassian

Higgins vey Jensen

Hansen Richardson Dorset

Higgins is an excellent player to accompany vey and his veteran presence will drive the line. Jensen and vey will develop chemistry and Jensen has that shoot first mentality that vey will feed off

Thanks for clearing that up, I think Vey is a great player.

I don't know if vey and kassian should play together. Based on that "infusion of skill" article it seems like vey is the set up man that should play with shooters. Kassian was more of the set up man on his line as well

Sedin Sedin vrbata.

Burrows Bonino kassian

Higgins vey Jensen

Hansen Richardson Dorset

Higgins is an excellent player to accompany vey and his veteran presence will drive the line. Jensen and vey will develop chemistry and Jensen has that shoot first mentality that vey will feed off

You forgot about Shawn Matthias. I've noticed a lot of people do. Either forget him or just think of him as a plug. Don't sleep on Matthias, is all. 6'4, 220+ pounds, with potential top 6 if not surely top 9 skill. I think it will be between him and burrows fighting for that second line spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGywLEpkFmE

My concern with Vey, and stats coincide, (0, 5 assists in 18gp) is that he's an intelligent, but rather slow-looking perimeter passer who's easily pressured off the puck. There are some crazy-looking no-look passes in this highlight package, but in high-pressure situations if you have to turn over the puck that easily when you just enter the offensive zone, then you could be feeding directly into opponents' hands. I think this is part of the reason that he saw no playoff action for LA. (But mostly because LA is super-strong up the middle, granted. But then again LA played Vey as a winger for the most part.)

I think his AHL success has been the product of 2013 rookie AHL all-star Tyler Toffoli, who is a much, much better prospect, mainly due to his speed and size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph9jOqDSbQ0

(No problems getting to the net for Toffoli.)

And of course Tanner Pearson.

(It's outright sickening how good LA's drafting has been recently. They continue picking up star after star after star in later rounds. Zykov is another one. Kempe and McKeown aren't bad for a team that's just won another cup too.)

I understand that Vey's still proven at the AHL level, but you have to wonder if it will carry over to NHL success. imho It only does if he improves his speed and strength. And he'll have to do it very soon, since it's NHL go-time for him right now.

Other concerns: Lack of physicality. Not great draws. Doesn't get a lot of shots off.

You forgot about Shawn Matthias. I've noticed a lot of people do. Either forget him or just think of him as a plug. Don't sleep on Matthias, is all. 6'4, 220+ pounds, with potential top 6 if not surely top 9 skill. I think it will be between him and burrows fighting for that second line spot.

My bad I've done up a line up quite a few times and there's always too many players. Can't wait for training camp, people are going to be fighting for jobs. I think Hansen is the odd man out and would waive his limited no trade clause if he legitimately loses his spot on the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGywLEpkFmE

My concern with Vey, and stats coincide, (0, 5 assists in 18gp) is that he's an intelligent, but rather slow-looking perimeter passer who's easily pressured off the puck. There are some crazy-looking no-look passes in this highlight package, but in high-pressure situations if you have to turn over the puck that easily when you just enter the offensive zone, then you could be feeding directly into opponents' hands. I think this is part of the reason that he saw no playoff action for LA. (But mostly because LA is super-strong up the middle, granted. But then again LA played Vey as a winger for the most part.)

I think his AHL success has been the product of 2013 rookie AHL all-star Tyler Toffoli, who is a much, much better prospect, mainly due to his speed and size.

His stats coincide? You mean his first 18 games in the NHL? That's not really a huge sample size there.

It's obvious you wanna put your negative spin on this prospect like you do with most, but it's clear you don't know much about him. Your analysis seems to be based entirely on that highlight video you posted; which by the way shows the opposite of what you're describing. (See the first assist against he Canucks)

That video shows that he's got good speed, plays in the dirty areas, and can hold onto the puck very well. His game is that of a playmaker that plays a patient puck possession game. He doesn't shoot the puck as much because he's a setup guy, which is something this team needs.

And as far as him not playing in the playoffs, so what? He was a rookie. It's the same reason why Hodgson barely saw any action in our playoff run. No coach is gonna throw a rookie with very limited NHL experience into a situation like that (unless there's injuries), no matter how skilled they are.

Again, if you think his stats are all because of Toffoli, you clearly haven't watched him play. That's like saying Henrik's success is only because of Daniel putting the puck in the net. Vey was the guy that often made plays happen on that line, and never looked out of place with Toffoli. Toffoli just happened to be the finisher on that line. And as far as Toffoli being better because of his size and speed, he's only an inch taller than Vey but weighs less. His speed is also average at best.

You'll learn what kind of player he actually is this season though, so don't worry. ;)

Archived