The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Sami Salo

Shink

Salo could fit on our team for cheap enough, sure. He's basically 40, as that will be his age come the beginning of the season, but I'd be cool with him for anything $1.2M or less on a one-year deal.

Would be cool, but it's not like we have room for him.

Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Stanton, Weber, Corrado...

I agree we don't really have room for him in the top six d but we could send corrado to the minors

And have him as a depth dman if possible. Orrrr like someone else said have him play with edler and salo could maybe get edlers game back. Edler played some of his best hockey with salo beside him or when salo was in our lineup.

Bieksa. Hamhuis

Edler. Salo

Tanev. Sbisa

Stanton

Weber

Corrado 1 more year in minors.

Salo's my all time favorite, but I feel like he's done. We have a bit of a log-jam of defenders too.

If he is 4th string RD he'd get probably 10-15 games replacing an injured Bieksa, 10-15 games replacing an injured tanev, and several games where he play is playing stronger than Weber.

40-50 games @ 14-16 minutes may be doable for him, and It really is a low risk move. Move corrado to ahl until salo is inevitably injured, and move markstrom either through waivers or for a pick and we now have 8 capable defenseman on the roster with our budding prospect still getting 20-25 minutes a night down in utica.

I am all for this idea. One more year of Salo could be fun.

If Salo did come back, I think he'd be playing a 7th-8th D role. Not in the the top 6, and who knows if he'd want to do that on what might be his last season

Salo would be a perfect fit for our situation. Assuming our defense right now is going to be something like...

Hamhuis Tanev

Edler Corrado

Sbisa Bieksa

(Stanton)

Salo could be a great fit. It would be good if he was a depth guy as we all know he has a history of not being able to stay healthy a full season, but also, it gives more flexibility. We could roll with both Stanton and Salo to replace appropriately left and right side injuries. Also it gives us the choice, if we still don't think Corrado is ready and you want to send him back to Utica for another year, Salo is as good of a replacement as you are going to get as we have already seen he can elevate Edlers game. He also still bring his veteran leadership which could help us this year. It's a low risk, medium-high reward. I am all for it as long as Salo is is too.

Still on the flip side, to play devils advocate. I'm sure JB still questions how much he's got left in the tank though. Last year he took a big step back. Normally it wouldn't be too big of a deal as he wasn't terrible, but at the age of 39, a his drop in production is more worrisome and rightfully so. Plus we do still have Yannick Weber, and Bobby Sanguinetti who are much younger and will push for that spot.

I say give him a PTO or something. If he does he does better than Weber, and Sanguinetti, give him the contract.

1 year $1 mill I'd be pleased. Could help get Edler's game back on track too before it's too late and we are limited to what we can do with him.

I'd like that too, having him on the powerplay is a big help because even if he doesn't score people freeze up at his shot and it helps create chances. He could be a depth guy who plays with Edler sometimes on the pp and could be interchangeable with Weber on the bottom pairing also. Not sure how we can fit him though, I guess we could send Weber or Stanton down to the AHL along with Corrado.

I love Sami, but I don't understand the idea that he should "retire a Canuck". He wasn't tearfully waving goodbye to the city as we dealt him at the deadline to a contender. He walked as a free agent.

That is true but that because canucks didn't offer him a 2year deal which is what he wanted.

This forum astounds me that people like you are on it and waste there time reading things they don't like/agree on and only to comment things like that. LOL

You want to bring in a 40-year-old defenseman to play top 4 minutes with Edler when he couldn't even handle top 4 minutes 3 seasons ago ...

Archived