The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommend me a Laptop

Rypien37

So my laptop of 2.5 years decided to call it quits.

I would use this for work, school, downloading videos/music and general browsing with decent speed. No gaming, nothing too fancy is needed.

I would use this laptop a lot, on a daily basis and want it to last.

I picked this up yesterday: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/toshiba-toshiba-satellite-c50t-b-15-6-laptop-black-intel-pentium-n3530-750gb-hdd-8gb-ram-windows-8-1-c50t-b-00v/10299017.aspx?path=26c75abaab9b7797e9e801fe4d813083en02

Do not like it and will get something else.

I know very little about computer spefications so I ask for your help to pick something for up to a MAX of $700. No apple products. Thanks!

holy that's crappy. my macbook from 2006 is still going strong.

One of my laptops I built from 2007 on XP still functions great -- crummy IGP and 2 or 4GB of RAM. Use it as a work PC, use another as a server/VPN.

OP, what's wrong with the laptop you got? For the price it's not bad specs.

I skimmed over Best Buy, Newegg, Tigerdirect, and RFD, and I found mostly comparable prices. What are you looking for?

One of my laptops I built from 2007 on XP still functions great -- crummy IGP and 2 or 4GB of RAM. Use it as a work PC, use another as a server/VPN.

I skimmed over Best Buy, Newegg, Tigerdirect, and RFD, and I found mostly comparable prices. What are you looking for?

5400 RPM HDD is bad. Really bad.

5400 RPM HDD is bad. Really bad.

That's not bad, that's been the standard for laptops for what, the last decade? The obvious reason is power consumption (less RPM = less energy, i.e. less battery usage), and the heat the 7200+ RPM drives create, as if laptops don't get hot enough already.

I am into the really small ones, but I have a Toshiba back from 2005 and a Macbook Air from 2009. The Macbook Air runs great, but the Toshiba.. super slow, but it still runs. For laptops, other than Apple, I would recommend something like Dell. It's decent.

I bought a Razer Blade back in January. I love it, but it may break the bank.

You get what you pay for.

I agree but only regarding those who need more high-end laptops.

For someone who is video/graphics editing, or does things that require high-end specs, it makes sense to get better quality, but for most, for laptops, they browse, they play silly Facebook/browser games, perhaps watch some videos here and there, and that's it. One doesn't need crazy specs for that, and the laptops that have lasted me the longest (primarily Toshiba laptops) were between $500-800, which is on the rather cheap end.

My '06 Dell runs perfectly brilliantly.

My '11 Dell has had nearly every aspect of it fail critically. It's a piece of shit.

My MSI Laptop from last year is specifically a gaming laptop, cost me about $1050, and I've had zero complaints about the durability of it.

holy that's crappy. my macbook from 2006 is still going strong.

Macs last a long time. I got mine in 2008 and I recently cleaned it up (deleted duplicate files and useless crap) and it runs like new. The extra cost is worth not buying a new laptop as often as standard laptops need to be replaced. I use that thing so often as well.

This is another case of your personal preference exceeding your actual requirements. The one you picked would be just fine for what you described, but if there's something you don't like about it then that's more about feel than the actual laptop perhaps. Pretty hard to recommend something else in that case.

If anything don't buy an HP or Dell...

Try Asus, Acer (some are crappy others are ok), Samsung, and Sony.

I was going to recommend a Mac... but I'm guessing your not a fan.

Well, my criticism of Dell is very anecdotal, one of the few laptops I ordered with them that a discrete Nvidia card went bad. Of course, no tests of mine could distinguish between the monitor nor the graphics (since pick and replace would void my warranty), so I sent it back to them, and they sent it back to me, it worked for a week, then went to crap again. So I just gave up on it and threw it away as they were gonna charge me afterwards for each time I had to send it in.

After I disposed of it, I come into work with mail on my desk, one of them is a card from Dell that says they are recalling those Nvidia GPU's from a swath of Dell and HP laptops, one of which was the Dell laptop I had bought. Of course, I had canned the laptop already, so I was like frack that.

Of course, we had ordered the same brand of Dell laptops, except IGP rather than discrete video cards, and we're still using some of those.

Pentium for anything $300+? No thx. OP are you looking for lightweight and,or long battery life?

EDIT: If you don't mind a refurb, which is actually usually almost exactly the same as new except shorter warranty, here's a great deal http://ebay.com/itm/311042303105

Blows your choice out of the water in every way and has a FHD IPS touchscreen

Archived