The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Going To Portland For the 1st Time

Magikal

As the title reads I am going to Portland for the first time. It will be just me and the girlfriend and I am looking for some cool places to check out as well as ideas for hotels / B&B to stya at.

Anyone who has some good ideas or anyone who has had good experiences around the Portland area please share. We will be driving there so any cool stops along the way are also something we would like to check out.

Also if anyone knows the rules (or where to view them online) about what to declare and how long you have to be in the states in order to buy a certain amount of stuff etc. etc. please share as well!

24 hrs - $200

48 hrs - $800 + alcohol

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/mobile/rrc-rrp-4-eng.html

Check out Salt & Straw - it's a really nice ice cream shop that IMO beats out Earnest. Pioneer Square in downtown is a shopping mall where you can load up on tax-free goodies. Go to 10th and Alder in downtown for a whole variety of food trucks.

I've been to Voodoo Donuts once, and I liked it, but some say it's not worth the >1 hr wait. If you do, be amazed at the weird types of doughnuts they have on selection.

Hope this helps.

a ford truck driving, country music loving redneck asking for "good experiences" in Portland is like a member of the KKK asking for the same in Compton, or Karl Marx looking up Wall Street's AirBnB for a family fun vacation

there seems to be a fundamental discrepancy here, but i just can't place my finger on it

Vist Voodoo donuts ! Best donuts I've ever tasted!. I didn't have to wait long cuz we cut with some other random people who were nice enough. Vist som food cart place aswell. Some of the carts have been visited by Driver,Dine in, and Drives( food tv show). There a really nice hotel just by the Portland airport.

Wife and I were there for a week a month ago. My first question would be, "How long are you going for?" That would determine what things I would do. Because we had a week, we were able to do a lot.

As for what it's like, my wife and I (especially me) have travelled a lot. And aside from Switzerland and New Zealand, Portland is by far the most fun I have had on a vacation in a long, long time. Be ready to meet the nicest people you will ever run into. The stereotype that Canadians are nice pales in comparison to Portlanders. It's also the cleanest, most walking friendly city I've been to in quite some time.

My wife and I stayed in SW Portland at the Mariott on SW Naito Drive. However, we paid a pretty penny ($220+/night). I would try and find something in either SW or NW (maybe a B&B exists on NW 23rd Ave), just because SW/NW have a lot more going on. Not that SE Portland doesn't have it's interesting sights, but the majority is on the other side of the river.

Again, depending on how much time you are spending there, here are a list of places we went/I would go to:

Parks/Etc:

- Japanese Garden: Considered to be the most authentic Japanese Garden outside of Japan.

- Chinese Tea Gargen: Like the Japanese Garden, considered to be the most authentic Chinese Garden outside of China.

- Rose Garden: Literally a football field of hundreds of different kinds of roses. It's free to get into and absolutely gorgeous.

- Portland Zoo: We like going to Zoo's. It's not terrific, but there are certainly a lot of animals there.

- Multnomah Falls: Waterfall located about 20-30 minutes outside Portland.

Food:

- Bamboo Sushi: There are two locations. I would go to the new location on 23rd Ave, NW Portland. I recommend sitting in front of the chefs. The are incredibly nice and helpful. You get the benefit of ordering straight from them, rather than from the waitress. Because we were striking up conversation with them, they threw 2 sushi dishes our way at no charge. And like EoH said, probably the best sushi I have had in Canada.

- Salt & Straw: I'm not a big ice cream fan, but I did try some of my wife's. It is really good. You can actually kill two birds with one stone as well because Bamboo Sushi and Salt & Straw are literally next door to each other on 23rd.

- Andina: Peruvian food. It is not cheap, though. Be prepared to throw down some serious coin.

- Santeria: Mexican food in SW Portland, close to Burnside. This place is awesome. We always went there for late night drinks/etc. You can also order their food from the bar across the ally because the restaurant is so small. The bathrooms for the restaurant are in a strip club next door, where you can also order food. Definitely worth checking out.

- As everyone will say, check out Voodoo Doughnuts. You're in for a 45 minute wait, but you can't go to Portland without checking it out.

- Food Trucks on Alder/10th: We tried quite a few, but the standouts to me were: Nong's Khao Man Gai, The Whole Bowl, The Dump Truck, The Grilled Cheese Grill, The Frying Scotsman, The Big Egg, and PBJs (located on 23rd Ave).

Other:

- Powells Book Store: Like Voodoo Doughnuts, this is a landmark that you have to check out. 4 stories of new/used books. You'll spend hours there.

- Saturday Farmer's Market near the university in SW Portland. Must, must go.

- Check to see what parks are playing outdoor movies. There are dozens of parks in Portland, and they always setup outdoor movies for the public to watch.

- Top-Down Movies: Depending on when you are going, check on google "Top-Down Movies Portland." The Hotel Deluxe has a parking garage where they setup an outdoor movie theatre every Thursday. So again, depending on when you are going, this may or may not still be going on. If it is, I highly suggest prepaying for your tickets. We were able to squeeze in without prepaying, but it was incredibly packed.

Walk everywhere, if the weather permits. Otherwise, take public transit. It's cheap and incredibly easy.

I go to Portland quite a bit....was there about a month ago and stayed there for 5 days in 2010 for the Jimmy Buffett concert.

I usually stay at the Hilton Double Tree Inn. It isnt downtown so it is a bit cheaper....nice outdoor pool and close to the Monorail which will take you almost anywhere. Right across the street from Lloyd Centre Mall where you can ice skate.

http://www.doubletreeportland.com/

There is a market right downtown Portland on Saturdays which is pretty cool

http://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/

I was told Portland has more strip bars and brew pubs per captia than anywhere in the USA. From my experince....true.

a ford truck driving, country music loving redneck asking for "good experiences" in Portland is like a member of the KKK asking for the same in Compton, or Karl Marx looking up Wall Street's AirBnB for a family fun vacation

there seems to be a fundamental discrepancy here, but i just can't place my finger on it

*Sigh* how closed minded you are. My choice of vehicle or music has nothing to do with me enjoying a weekend in Portland.

Oh and for the record, while I do love Ford trucks, I drive a Mustang.

Archived