The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's your Favourite Canucks Prospect?

Hunter_74

For sure Ben Hutton! But he's gotta develop a slapshot! Hopefully he can this year?

I think it's amazing that none of his goals were via slapshot last year?!?

Ben Hutton is going to be a beast, insane he had more goals than assists.

That level of offensive ability in a 6'3 frame in addition to excellent defensive positioning. He is a gem.

I really like the fact that we have some scoring wingers in Shinkaruk, Jensen, and Virtanen, and 2 very solid looking two way centermen in Horvat and McCann. These guys, I'm hoping, will prove to be a top six not to be taken lightly, I'm also looking at Vey or Bonino to fill the sixth spot.

But there's one guy that I think is going to be the player that allows both Horvat and McCann to have their offensive game mature and fully develop and that is Gaunce.

I see Gaunce as a player with the IQ to play in all situations but to excel at being the heavyweight shutdown center to allow for a more offensive styled top 2 scoring lines. I know he has his skating issues, and that topic has been beaten to death so much that even saying its been beaten to death is cliche, however, his anticipation skills are through the roof.

Sometimes the players who are putting up the points aren't winning the games

I really think we have a number of first line prospects and at least one first pairing prospect and that is Hutton so he is number one.

Horvat would be a close second and all the above mentioned players with exception of Lain have a good shot at first line duty in there careers.

That is a lot of rookies with star potential:

Shink Horvat Virtanen

Gaunce McCann Vey

Jensen Cassels Fox

Hutton

What exactly is it about Virtanen's skill set that makes you think he's exactly what we need?

The impression i've gotten is that he's a finisher. And unless he can do it on his own (Like Bure) It takes a lot of players doing a lot of good things for a finisher to be successful.

And yes, I know he's big, but so is Sestito. Any review of his style beyond that would interest me.

If Sestito could skate like Virtanen he'd be an all star.

Virtanen is big, & has a great shot, but he also won the fastest skater competition at the CHL top prospects game last year.

A guy that big, with a great shot, loves to play physical & with elite speed is a very rare skillset.

The one thing our prospect pool was missing was top end speed, but Virtanen & Mccann both have great speed.

My favorite prospect would have to be Shinkaruk.

He's electric on the ice but I really like what he does off the ice too.

He has that outgoing inclusive personality that brings teams together. All season long he was going out of his way to congratulate his fellow prospects on their accomplishments. First goals, signing contracts, awards, any time one of the guys from last prospects camp did something noteworthy, he was on social media & congratulating them.

A lot of our current core all played together & bonded in Winnipeg, became a group that fought for each other & wanted to win together.

I have high hopes for our current group of prospects doing the same thing & Shinkaruk is going to be key to that happening.

We have Horvat & Gaunce for soft spoken, hard working leadership & Shinkaruk to bring them all together.

I have very high hopes for this group.

Archived