The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

Psychology is an interesting subject to me. It's a very deep, broad subject and is becoming increasingly more so as I get deeper into this psychology class. But while it's interesting I'm also becoming increasingly frustrated as the information continues to pile up and up and up. 

Can't wait til next semester so I don't have to deal with this class anymore. 

I confess ~

I am at a restaurant, and I was just served a burger and fries without a fork and knife.  I'm so used to eating my food with a fork and knife, and am like, how does someone eat their burger and fries without a fork and knife?  I'm so used to a fork and knife, and taking a frie with my fork and dipping it in sauce.  So I am going to try it, and I took my first bite, and it is strange, but I am going to try it.

• 2 weeks later...

I confess ~

Today the power key on my work Mac broke in half, so instead of backing up my data and putting it on another computer, I took one of those really small flathead screwdrivers, and lifted up the key for F3, and attached it to where the power key is.  Like who needs the F3 key anyway?   It's not like I need a shortcut anyway.  If I do need it.  I will just take my really small flathead and attach the key from the power back to the F3.  I wonder if anyone will notice my unique keyboard. 

I'm not sure if I hate my profession or just my job.

I want to leave, but I feel bad for leaving my team this close to Christmas. I don't have any interviews lined up (yet?) but I'm afraid that I'll feel too guilty to leave even if I got an offer elsewhere. People keep telling me (and I agree) that I don't owe them anything but as much as I dislike my company, I just don't want to leave my team during the busiest time of the year. But if I stay, I'll be miserable.

19 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

I want to leave, but I feel bad for leaving my team this close to Christmas. I don't have any interviews lined up (yet?) but I'm afraid that I'll feel too guilty to leave even if I got an offer elsewhere. People keep telling me (and I agree) that I don't owe them anything but as much as I dislike my company, I just don't want to leave my team during the busiest time of the year. But if I stay, I'll be miserable.

your life is too short to worry about "people at work".

Priority list

you

family

friends

people at work

On 10/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, Psylocke said:

Life is too short to be miserable.

On 10/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, Psylocke said:

If you're really lucky and the timing is perfect, you can give your notice at the Christmas staff party.

Proceed to get drunk, insult your boss and confess to everything you hate about the company.

If you do it well enough you could even get fired at the christmas party and get to take a paid christmas vacation before you start your new job.

Good luck!

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

If you're really lucky and the timing is perfect, you can give your notice at the Christmas staff party.

Proceed to get drunk, insult your boss and confess to everything you hate about the company.

If you do it well enough you could even get fired at the christmas party and get to take a paid christmas vacation before you start your new job.

Good luck!

6B359DF2-1B2B-46A8-89DD-575205402127.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm mostly buried in school a month and a half in. I knew it was gonna be this way but it's still a bit sad. I don't see friends, I don't spend a ton of time with family. I spend a lot of time reading, studying, in class and working. I try and work out too but that's fallen off a bit with my being sick. People always talk about balance, but it's easier said than done. Either my studies suffer or the other things suffer or don't get done as much as I've put too much into getting back to school for it not to come first. 

• Upvote 1
On 10/16/2019 at 11:56 AM, gurn said:

your life is too short to worry about "people at work".

Priority list

you

family

friends

people at work

On 10/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, riffraff said:

Life is too short to be miserable.

Yep, my mind knows that. It's just my damn conscience. I just feel bad for leaving my team at the busiest time of the year. 

On 10/18/2019 at 8:37 PM, luckylager said:

Good luck!

Hmmm might be a good idea considering our CEO and VPs are at our company Christmas parties. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

Yep, my mind knows that. It's just my damn conscience. I just feel bad for leaving my team at the busiest time of the year. 

Tbh I completely understand and have experienced your conflict.

years back I had just moved to a new town and took an employee position with a company.  After about a year I received a raise and small promotion.  It was right at this time I was planning on leaving to go back out on my own.  I had a great opportunity coming up.  (Well fortunately it turned out great).

when I talked with my supervisor about leaving he was 100% supportive and wished me the best.  He knew what I was trying to do and I feel he cared about my future outside of just the job.  You may not be aware of what your coworkers and bosses think about you in their regard and therefore may receive nothing but encouragement and good wishes.  Most likely you will be replaced or they will share the load via committee.

good luck. 

• Upvote 2
On 10/18/2019 at 9:12 PM, Coconuts said:

I'm mostly buried in school a month and a half in. I knew it was gonna be this way but it's still a bit sad. I don't see friends, I don't spend a ton of time with family. I spend a lot of time reading, studying, in class and working. I try and work out too but that's fallen off a bit with my being sick. People always talk about balance, but it's easier said than done. Either my studies suffer or the other things suffer or don't get done as much as I've put too much into getting back to school for it not to come first. 

Balance is important but sometimes so is short term pain for long term gain.  At least with school there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.  Just a (relatively) short period of your life to slog through for the greater good.  I wish you all the best, I'm sure you'll get there:)

52 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Balance is important but sometimes so is short term pain for long term gain.  At least with school there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.  Just a (relatively) short period of your life to slog through for the greater good.  I wish you all the best, I'm sure you'll get there:)

Thanks! And yeah, you're absolutely right. I know it'll all hopefully be for the best, it's just a grind. But I've heard nothing worth having comes easy, I suppose I'll find out whether that's true. :)