The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1996-97: Adam Oates Was Almost a Vancouver Canuck. Boston Offered Oates for Linden Straight-Up.

As we know, Pat Quinn struggled mightily to acquire a top centerman during his time as the Vancouver Canucks' general manager. The team lacked a centerman for Pavel Bure since the departure of Igor Larionov in 1992, and he missed out on Wayne Gretzky after providing him with the now-infamous middle-of-the-night ultimatum via telephone.

In 1996, however, the problem of providing Bure -- and now Alexander Mogilny -- with a proper centerman was almost resolved. Mogilny was frustrated, finally calling out management for not providing him and Pavel with a centerman who could complement them.

It was just a few weeks before that when the Boston Bruins offered the Canucks this deal:

Adam Oates for Trevor Linden -- straight up, one-for-one.

As a result of Quinn's futility, Mogilny finally blew up:

Back to Front: Mogilny, Bure blast like past: [Final C Edition 1]
Bell, Terry. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 03 Jan 1997: A48 / FRONT.

What a difference a new year makes.

Pavel Bure and Alexander Mogilny looked like their old and magical selves Thursday night, and the Vancouver Canucks got a couple of lucky breaks to win their 1997 debut.

Canucks 4 Kings 3. But don't get too excited. It was after all only the 13-22-4 Los Angeles Kings. At least the Canucks didn't blow a chance to end a four-game losing streak after a confidence- shaking and injury-riddled 3-9-1 December.

And the Canucks nearly blew it, giving up two third period goals and having another called back by referee Mick MeGeough.

Reunited with centre Esa Tikkanen after a two-game separation, Bure scored two goals and added an assist while Mogilny added a goal and two assists as the Canucks improved to 17-19-1 overall.

For Mogilny, the effort and the rewards couldn't have been better timed. He'd made headlines Thursday morning, saying that if the Canucks couldn't trade for a playmaking centre to feed him and Bure the puck, they might as well trade him.

But the talk seemed to light a fire under both Mogilny and Bure.

An injury, Tikkanen only had one second-period shift and didn't play in the third, forced Canucks coach Tom Renney to insert Mike Sillinger between the Russians.

Mogilny demands centre help: [Final Edition]
Gallagher, Tony. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 02 Jan 1997: A41.

Alexander Mogilny hinted at it last week in Phoenix. He said it more specifically after the New Year's Eve loss to Philadelphia, when the Canuck players worked as hard as possible with scarcely a hope of victory.

The team needs some help. If it doesn't come, Mogilny says he would just as soon take a hike.

He would like a centre. You know, a person who actually calls the middle his natural position who wouldn't clear waivers. And it isn't easy to say so. He doesn't want to be hurting teammates' feelings or coming off like a prima dona because it isn't happening for he or Pavel Bure.

But face facts -- this team isn't going to win with centres like Esa Tikkanen and Trevor Linden (who are natural wingers), Mike Sillinger and Alexander Semak (both of whom have cleared waivers at some point this season), and Mike Ridley.

"I like it here and I want to stay. But we all want to win in this room," said Mogilny. "You can see we're working. But we need help. Everybody knows it all starts with strength up the middle.

"I'm not in a management position. I don't make decisions and I know it's not easy to make trades. But if it doesn't change, I hope when they make a trade it's me. And I've told them as much."

So Mogilny makes his comments with the knowledge it's entirely likely the Canucks have already begun the preliminary work on his departure. With Pat Quinn running things, the talks will doubtless take on a glacial pace, but it would appear the Rangers and Washington are the best fits for a deal with the Islanders, New Jersey and Chicago lesser possibilities. Mogilny lives in Point Roberts and is becoming an American citizen and won't report to another Canadian team. Detroit would be a real reach, and it's possible a three-way deal would have to be concluded to bring Vancouver what it needs in such a move, a centre who can help Bure and/or a defenceman a shade better than Frank Kucera. Russ Courtnall also figures to bring a player in one of these categories as well, but his market value wanes with each hour of Quinn's waffling.

The ideal thing would be to try to get a centre or d-man with one of the goalkeepers but with the glut of players in this position such a happy outcome is unlikely.

Mogilny frustrated, Quinn says: [FINAL C Edition]
Mason, Gary. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 04 Jan 1997: B.1.

Alexander Mogilny says the Canucks need a No. 1 centre to be competitive... Pat Quinn thinks that's baloney.

In an extraordinarily frank and wide-ranging interview Friday, Quinn opened up to talk about the Mogilny-centreman issue, his shaky defence, botched deals, whether trades are in the winds, his relationship with John McCaw and his own future... He thinks Mogilny is frustrated by his play and hinted contract negotiations may have motivated his star player to demand a trade unless the team gets a playmaking centre to feed him and Bure.

``I think there's more behind this than Alex making a statement that he believes is correct.'' But while Quinn says he wants to re-sign Mogilny, he said no one is immune from being traded if he feels it will help the hockey club. ``These are hypotheticals and you always look at ways to improve your hockey club so I wouldn't say I would not trade Joe Blow, Alex Mogilny or whatever, no. I couldn't promise you that.''

``Do I plan to do it? No.'' Asked if he was looking to make a trade, Quinn said:``I do every day.'' And while not mentioning Mogilny by name, it is clear the tough-talking GM doesn't have much time for stars blaming others for their problems... In pointing to the play of a less talented Florida Panther team that went to the Cup last year, Quinn said: ``The team became way more important than any individual and a lot of times it's easier to coach a team like that because you don't have the egos, you don't have the pouters . . . there is tremendous pressure on these high-paid guys and their responses are all different.'' But Mogilny hasn't been the only voice criticizing Quinn for not addressing the team's lack of depth at centre. It's been a complaint by fans and the media the last several years.

Quinn says he's looked for a top centre for 10 years and contrary to some reports, it was he who urged owner John McCaw to find the dollars to sign Wayne Gretzky. He says he wasn't against the deal at all. Looking tired and shifting uncomfortably in his chair because of a degenerative hip, Quinn says he didn't re-sign centres Cliff Ronning and Jesse Bellanger to free up money to make other acquisitions in the middle, including Gretzky. He went after other centres, including Bernie Nicholls, who eventually signed with San Jose.

Now, having ended up with nothing through trades or the free-agent route, he regrets Ronning isn't here... But he doesn't buy the view of Mogilny and others that Ronning is a great playmaking centre. ``Cliff's not a play-making centre. Down in the offensive zone he may be but through mid-ice where Alex is talking about getting a centre, Cliff didn't move the puck in that area.''... ``Pavel is working his bag off.''

Quinn would not give up Trevor Linden for Adam Oates.

It sounds like Mogilny will be traded by Quinn before deadline: [FINAL Edition]
Mason, Gary. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 15 Jan 1997: E.1.

Expect Canucks boss Pat Quinn to pull the trigger on at least one trade in the next few weeks. And don't be surprised to see disgruntled Russian Alexander Mogilny to be the centrepiece of a blockbuster. There are several scenarios emerging and lots of big names being bandied about as the March 20 trade deadline gets closer. We could see a couple of one-for-one trades involving second-tier players such as Russ Courtnall.

Or we could see a bigger package involving a group of similarly-skilled players. One earthshaker would be Mogilny being part of a trade involving another recognized star and perhaps some supporting actors.

``They'll definitely be some trades,'' said one Canuck source. ``It remains to be seen whether Alex will be part of any moves. It would have to be perfect for us. But there's been lots of interest.''

Quinn is under increasing pressure to improve and change the dynamics of his struggling club. Fans are hollering for a shake-up. Fans are howling for Quinn's head. Mogilny has led the call for a skilled centre. Coach Tom Renney would love a playmaking defenceman to feed his skilled players and captain the power-play. Quinn would like more grit and would likely trade some of his softer, skilled players for heart and toughness.

He has said he'd trade anyone to improve his team but realistically there is a group of players you're not likely to see go anywhere, including Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, Bret Hedican and Martin Gelinas. Mogilny heads a list of players that could be moved. Russ Courtnall, Markus Naslund, Adrian Aucoin, Leif Rohlin also make the list. But beyond Mogilny, these players have little market appeal.

Meantime, there are two playmaking centres known to be available.

Boston has talked to Vancouver about Adam Oates. The Bruins wanted Trevor Linden in exchange. And that ended that conversation. But Oates could surface again involving other players.

Toronto is dangling Doug Gilmour and it appears Leafs' GM Cliff Fletcher is intent on getting first-class youth in return to replenish an aging hockey team. Kirk Muller is also available.

Vancouver is reluctant to offer up good young talent (i.e. Matthias Ohlund) or first-round picks in exchange for someone who might only help the team for a couple of years.

Vancouver not on Oates' itinerary: Bruins wanted Trevor Linden for 34-year-old centre straight up, but Canucks declined.: [FINAL Edition]
MacIntyre, Iain. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 26 Feb 1997: E.2.

As the hockey world buzzed Monday over the trade of Toronto Maple Leaf Doug Gilmour, it became clearer in the happy little land of the Vancouver Canucks that Adam Oates likely isn't coming here and Russ Courtnall isn't staying.

About the time Gilmour was packing his bags for New Jersey, stories in Boston hit the airwaves that Oates - the other highly-coveted centre on the trading block - would soon be leaving Boston in the wake of his honest assessment that the Bruins troubles begin with general manager Harry Sinden.

And a source close to Oates said the 34-year-old could be going to the Canucks as part of a package that would see Vancouver captain Trevor Linden go to the Bruins.

But Canuck assistant general manager George McPhee said late Monday afternoon that the club had not spoken recently with the Bruins. Asked if it were possible Linden could be involved in a trade with Boston, McPhee said ``definitely not.''

``We've talked to them -- we've talked to every team -- but I wouldn't say anything is happening,'' McPhee said. ``It was a while ago.''

The Bruins asked several weeks ago for a straight Oates-for-Linden swap, but the Canucks flatly refused that proposal.

Good read but you never know how these things would have panned out. You never know how a player will impact the team culture (eg. Messier). NYR acquired a star in Rick Nash but what they gave up ended up hurting them more than they though and eventually had to get some other players from Columbus to fill those roles before they became a good team again.

On the other hand you have a guy like Gaborik who wasn't known for playoff heroics until he came to LA and fit in really well with the culture and the coach there.

In the end we were better off with Bertuzzi and McCabe.

Mogilny was 27, Bure 25, Gelinas 26, and Naslund 23 (Linden 26). That team was very much like the Canucks two seasons ago (except they missed the playoffs). However, I wonder if Oates could have steered the ship in the right direction?

Our team now is so much older. Sedins 32, Kesler 29, Higgins 30. We seem to have guys coming out of their prime and guys going in.

oates started his decline after the 1996-1997 season and bert + mccabe + ruutu were better even in hindsight. Even with oates between mogilny & bure, canucks back then weren't good enough to win the cup in my opinion.

Bertuzzi and Mccabe was just as good if not a better deal

I agree this was a way better trade.

Bert became the best power forward in Canuck history and McCabe was a good tough defence man.

Bert eventually turned into Luongo and McCabe turned into one of the Sedins.

Oates means the following.

No Bertuzzi. Which means no West Coast Express. Undoubtedly the hardest working and most exciting line since Mogilny/Bure.

On that road it also would have meant no Luongo and no decade of the best canuck hockey ever played.

It also means no McCabe which means no Burke wheeling and dealing for the Twins leading to without a doubt the best top line the Canucks have ever had a few presidents trophies, MVP, scoring titles etc.

Oates would have been great, but much like Naslund Bertuzzi and the WCE. it would have been a one line team and we all know that was about the time Bure's knees started giving him issues and within 5 years of that trade he was slowing down as was Mogilny. Still great players but starting the decline into what was referred to as the dead puck era.

The cards fell where they lied and I for one am more than satisfied.

I wouldnt have given up Linden for an aging Adam Oates. Nonetheless he went on to Washington to have one last hurrah in 98.

I think if we had signed Gretzky in 96, we could have very well won the cup in 97 or 98

Despite the aggressive stance from Quinn and Burke, we were never going to get Gretzky. It was a sham. Just like his negotiations with Toronto. It was all to pull more money from the Rangers. That was his destination all along. We'd have been better off drafting Jagr instead of Nedved.

Oates was older, but he continued to be a point a game player until he was 40, while playing with Bondra.. He would have produced more on a line with Bure AND Mogilny.. Keep in mind Bure could already score over 50 goals without any help at all, and Mogilny put up 76 goals playing with a hall of fame centerman (LaFountaine).. Also, Bure may have wanted to stick around Vancouver longer with Oates feeding him the puck...

It's crazy to think about!

In the end we were better off with Bertuzzi and McCabe.

Mogilny was 27, Bure 25, Gelinas 26, and Naslund 23 (Linden 26). That team was very much like the Canucks two seasons ago (except they missed the playoffs). However, I wonder if Oates could have steered the ship in the right direction?

Our team now is so much older. Sedins 32, Kesler 29, Higgins 30. We seem to have guys coming out of their prime and guys going in.

If you just woke up from a coma, there are a few things you might have missed...

Archived