The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Potential Lineup in 3-4 years

thejazz97

Just thinking about our lineup in a few years, this is potentially what it could look like with the people we have right now:

Virtanen-McCann-Fox

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Gaunce

Sedin-Vey-Jensen

Cassels-Sedin-Grenier

Labate/Lain/Kenins

Subban-Corrado

Hutton-Cederholm

Tryamkin-Andersson

McNally/Forsling/Stewart

Lack/Demko

Demko/Lack

If all of our prospects could reach their potentials, this is probably what it would look like, barring injuries and trades. And assuming Matthias, Higgins, Richardson, Hansen, Burrows, Miller, Vrbata, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Tanev, Edler, Weber, Sbisa, and Bonino are all gone at this point, either retired or traded or not resigned. So this roster probably won't happen, but you never know.

Why do people just want to cast off Edler sbisa Tanev Bones among others? This isn't the first thread iv'e read in which those players are nixed. In 3 years edler will still be in his prime, same with Tanev and Bones and Sbisa. Plus it's highly unlikely all are prospects will become nhl players especially are D prospects. I do however think majority of our forwards have a great shot as MG and Benning have really drafted some good guys

Shink,Mcann,Kass,Vey

Jake,Horvat,Jenson/Fox

Cassels,Bones,Gaunce/fox

?,?,?

Hammer,Tanev

Edler,Corrado

Subban,Tyamakin

Forsling,Hutton

of our top 9 I think it's fair to assume that they all wont pan out but would be nice if they do then i could see bones being moved. one thing is for sure we have too many potential top 9 type of players so i guess some will have to be moved if they all crack the nhl. I don't see any of them as 4th line type players maybe some could be moved in the future for better D prospects.

Why do people just want to cast off Edler sbisa Tanev Bones among others? This isn't the first thread iv'e read in which those players are nixed. In 3 years edler will still be in his prime, same with Tanev and Bones and Sbisa. Plus it's highly unlikely all are prospects will become nhl players especially are D prospects. I do however think majority of our forwards have a great shot as MG and Benning have really drafted some good guys

Shink,Mcann,Kass,Vey

Jake,Horvat,Jenson/Fox

Cassels,Bones,Gaunce/fox

?,?,?

Hammer,Tanev

Edler,Corrado

Subban,Tyamakin

Forsling,Hutton

of our top 9 I think it's fair to assume that they all wont pan out but would be nice if they do then i could see bones being moved. one thing is for sure we have too many potential top 9 type of players so i guess some will have to be moved if they all crack the nhl. I don't see any of them as 4th line type players maybe some could be moved in the future for better D prospects.

If Hutton burns it up again this year in the NCAA he will be under pressure from the Canucks to sign and come to training camp in one year.

By 3 years from now he should be getting at least second pairing minutes with lot's of pp time.

So 3 years from now my guess is;

Hammer/Tanev or Hutton

Edler/Tanev or Corrado or Hutton (not a good pair though)

Subban/ Tryamkin (could be a dynamite pairing)

I like Hammer and Hutton together, speedy duo with big offensive upside, cerebral as well.

If Hank and Danny decline too far in 3-4 years, we'll probably have to bring in veterans to replace them. Otherwise, they'll mentor the young guns on their lines. Without factoring in UFA's I'd say something like this is reasonable

Shinkaruk - Hank - Jensen
Danny - Horvat/ McCann - Vey
Bonino - Matthias - Kassian

Zalewski - Gaunce - Archibald

// Richardson

Hamhuis - Corrado

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa, Stanton and Tryamkin battling for the last 2 spots.

If Hank and Danny decline too far in 3-4 years, we'll probably have to bring in veterans to replace them. Otherwise, they'll mentor the young guns on their lines. Without factoring in UFA's I'd say something like this is reasonable

Shinkaruk - Hank - Jensen

Danny - Horvat/ McCann - Vey

Bonino - Matthias - Kassian

Zalewski - Gaunce - Archibald

// Richardson

Hamhuis - Corrado

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa, Stanton and Tryamkin battling for the last 2 spots.

I could see the Sedin's doing that in 3 or 4 years for say a year or two more after that, so I agree.

I can't see Zalewski and Archibald being there over Virtanen and Cassels or for that matter Stanton or Tryamkin being there over Hutton.

Using your lineup as a base:

Shink/ Hank/ Virtanen

Danny/ Horvat/McCann or Vey

Bonino/Vey or McCann/Kassian

Gaunce/Cassels/Fox

Jensen/Mathias

Hammer/Hutton

Edler/Tanev

Sbisa/Tryamkin

Corrado

That gives us 8 natural centers.

We'll have holes in our roster and that's what Benning will have to fill in in a few years with UFAs and trades. In my line-up it'll be where I see Horvat, McCann, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Kassian, Virtanen, Vey, Bonino, Sedins, etc in a few years.

Sedin - Sedin - ______

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

Gaunce - Bonino - Jensen

Matthias - Cassels - Vey

Zalewski/Kenins

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Corrado

Cederholm/Tryamkin - Hutton

Lack

_____

Sign a top UFA for the top 6, package Jensen + 1st round pick for another top notch player. Alot of depth, we can turn it into quality top 6 players.

The Summer of 2017 will be a key time, Sedins will be in their final contracts and our future players will start to have to takeover the team. We could potentially re-sign the Sedins for 1 more year for insurance of a competitive team if they are still top 6 players but McCann, Virtanen will be playing their first year in the AHL. Hamhuis will still be a 35 year old solid two-way defenceman who can play 2nd pairing minutes with a young player who reminds of Hamhuis. Hutton should be able to play sheltered minutes on the 3rd pairing with a defensive defenceman IMO, that'll look good as a 3rd pairing.

We have alot of bottom 6 depth in our prospect pool so some players were left out. I feel like we'll have alot of depth, Vey, Cassels, Matthias will be top 9 players playing on the 4th line. But we can rely on the Sedins for the scoring and top-end talent so we'll need to replace that with other players.

Something interesting about Horvat and Shinkaruk that reminds of another duo, Kane and Toews. I don't want to go to this again and say Horvat = Toews, Shinkaruk = Kane. On Chicago when Toews and Kane are together they are dangerous obviously and teams need to shut that down but when Kane is on another line he faces the 2nd pairing or the easier competition while Toews takes the hard minutes against hard opponents. If we can do something like that with Shinkaruk and Horvat it'll be extremely difficult for other teams to play against that, throw in McCann and Virtanen and we might have something.

2 lines of = difficulty will be hard for opponents, you don't need a Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin to win a cup. If you have 2 lines who can do damage that's even better. You don't have a player taking up alot of your salary cap like Ovie or Crosby but instead you can have 2 players that do as much damage and the cap room spreads through to other players on your roster.

A potential top 6 of including:

Shinkaruk - McCann - Jensen

Virtanen - Horvat - Kassian will be extremely tough to shutdown, which one do you want to shutdown? It'll leave one line open for easier competition and can explode on 2nd pairings.

LA and Chicago did the same thing, you shutdown one it leave the other one open (Pearson-Carter-Toffoli, Saad-Shaw-Kane).

I feel like Tryamkin, Subban, Corrado and Hutton will for sure... not too sure about Cederholm, Andersson and the rest.

I think Cederholm has a better chance at being an NHL regular than Subban, to be honest. Size hasn't been an issue for some defensemen but it's still a legitimate factor. Cederholm is big (6'2 214lbs.) and plays a much safer defensive-style game than Subban. Jordan plays a high-flying offensive game-- much like his brother-- but his size (5'9) needs to at least be a consideration.

The Summer of 2017 will be a key time, Sedins will be in their final contracts and our future players will start to have to takeover the team. We could potentially re-sign the Sedins for 1 more year for insurance of a competitive team if they are still top 6 players but McCann, Virtanen will be playing their first year in the AHL. Hamhuis will still be a 35 year old solid two-way defenceman who can play 2nd pairing minutes with a young player who reminds of Hamhuis. Hutton should be able to play sheltered minutes on the 3rd pairing with a defensive defenceman IMO, that'll look good as a 3rd pairing.

Optimistic yes, but I don't project that long a timeline, especially for Virtanen. If not for the injury, he would likely put up a good case for a roster spot this year. He will go back to junior for the entire season, and then either make the team or go to the AHL for one (or part of one) season. Everything points to him being near if not on the cusp of being NHL-ready. McCann rides with a chip on his shoulder and has already said he expects to challenge to make the team next year. The big thing for him will be to put on 10-15lbs, and to hit 85-90 points in an increased offensive role this season. If he does, it may be his last season in junior as well.

Only management knows their plan and it of course depends on the players' development, but I'd say Horvat is likely for this year, Shinkaruk and possibly Virtanen next, and Virtanen certainly with Cassels and/or McCann after that. They aren't all that far away :)

Just thinking about our lineup in a few years, this is potentially what it could look like with the people we have right now:

Virtanen-McCann-Fox

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Gaunce

Sedin-Vey-Jensen

Cassels-Sedin-Grenier

Labate/Lain/Kenins

Subban-Corrado

Hutton-Cederholm

Tryamkin-Andersson

McNally/Forsling/Stewart

Lack/Demko

Demko/Lack

If all of our prospects could reach their potentials, this is probably what it would look like, barring injuries and trades. And assuming Matthias, Higgins, Richardson, Hansen, Burrows, Miller, Vrbata, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Tanev, Edler, Weber, Sbisa, and Bonino are all gone at this point, either retired or traded or not resigned. So this roster probably won't happen, but you never know.

Awesome sig, Jazz...

Assuming that we are selecting from the current roster/prospect pool, my prediction for opening day roster for the 2017-2018 season would be:

Shinkaruk (23) -- Hank (37) -- Kassian (26)

Daniel (37) -- Horvat (22) -- Jensen (24)

Bonino (29) -- Vey (26) -- Virtanen (21)

Matthias (29) -- Gaunce (23) -- Hansen (31)

13th forward: McCann (21) or Fox (23)

Hamhuis (35) -- Corrado (24)

Edler (31) -- Tanev (28)

Sbisa (27) -- Hutton (24)

7th D: Tryamkin (23)

Lack (29)

Markstrom (27)

Demko (21) (starter in Utica)

Optimistic yes, but I don't project that long a timeline, especially for Virtanen. If not for the injury, he would likely put up a good case for a roster spot this year. He will go back to junior for the entire season, and then either make the team or go to the AHL for one (or part of one) season. Everything points to him being near if not on the cusp of being NHL-ready. McCann rides with a chip on his shoulder and has already said he expects to challenge to make the team next year. The big thing for him will be to put on 10-15lbs, and to hit 85-90 points in an increased offensive role this season. If he does, it may be his last season in junior as well.

Only management knows their plan and it of course depends on the players' development, but I'd say Horvat is likely for this year, Shinkaruk and possibly Virtanen next, and Virtanen certainly with Cassels and/or McCann after that. They aren't all that far away :)

There's more to learn for Virtanen so I don't think next year will be his year to make the team. He can develop his offensive game more. Virtanen needs to be more offensively dimensional to play in the NHL, this isn't that far away. He needs to be around 90-100 points next season as a good sign of progression. Not everything points to him being close to the NHL, I'm thinking he plays his junior years out.

I see McCann as a project, he's good defensively but he has 1C potential if he can add strength on his legs, improve his balance and become more consistent.

I dunno but in 5 years it could look like

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Virtanen

Jensen-McCann-Kassian

Bonino-Cassels-Vey

Archibald-Gaunce-Grenier

Hutton-2015 1st rounder

Corrado-Tanev

Tryamkin-Hamhuis

Demko

Random goalie from a draft/free agency

I like how the line Shinkaruk-Horvat-Virtanen sounds. Speed, skill, physical, defensive, goal scoring, and playmaking. If Horvat can be a 60-70 point scorer, Shinkaruk a 70-90 point scorer and Virtanen a 65-85 point scorer this line would be incredible.

Outside the envelope;

Shink / Cassels / Virtanen Our best passer may be Cassels.

McCann or Fox / Horvat / Kassian Second line that can score and won't be messed with.

Jensen / Gaunce or McCann/ Fox or McCann Another line that can score, Jensen needs to improve his D by then.

Bonino / Vey or LaBate / Vey or Labate or Mathias or Grennier, etc. That line should be able to score too!

or for the 4th; Grennier/ Mathias/ Labate the 6' 4'' or taller line with some skill to boot !

Archived