The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Langara Wait-list Question

Gstank29

hi guys ,I have a question about the wait list at langara (for anyone who has/is going there) and if anyone could answer it that would be great.

Since the time for payment has passed and sports or suppose to be available, how fast do the wait list move? Ie is it possible to get a course if your in the 20's or 30's on the wait list

Got into a course and was 25 on the waitlist when classes started, always went into class and prof would then just ask who's on the waitlist.

Eventually since I went to every class the prof just manually entered me into the class after the wait period is over.

It really depends on the course, regardless of where from. Upper level courses with smaller classroom sizes usually have lax profs that are willing to put in an extra one or two students (I count on it happening all the time). I am not sure about lower level courses where you are thirty spots behind though...at UBC they tend to just make a whole new section altogether with the wait list students if demand is that high. Best of luck.

It really depends on the course, regardless of where from. Upper level courses with smaller classroom sizes usually have lax profs that are willing to put in an extra one or two students (I count on it happening all the time). I am not sure about lower level courses where you are thirty spots behind though...at UBC they tend to just make a whole new section altogether with the wait list students if demand is that high. Best of luck.

What happened to your old account?

Got into a course and was 25 on the waitlist when classes started, always went into class and prof would then just ask who's on the waitlist.

Eventually since I went to every class the prof just manually entered me into the class after the wait period is over.

This is a good plan. If you're serious about the class, you should visit it and sit down for the first 2 weeks or so and see what the professor says.

Other than that, yeah some spots do open up after the payment period has passed, so tomorrow (I think) you should move up a few spaces). If you're 15+ behind, you're going to have to try you're luck at the sitting down thing.

Was pretty easy for me though. I forgot about my activation time, and 24 hours later was still able to register in whatever class I wanted, which only had a few spots taken each. But I was given activation on the first day or whatever, so your results will vary.

Langara has a wait list?

They can get pretty large. Double the class size often. It has a large student body, and not enough classes.

Kwantlen is a more comfortable option.

Can't say for Langara, but at UBC, I'd say the rule of thumb for a faculty like Kin is 10% (+/- a couple %) of the allotted course space will likely open up for various reasons. Perhaps they'll add a few more seats, or people will drop out... or a bit of both. The only issue you might run into is if the course is required by everybody... Then there might not be a lot of movement.

If you're insanely desperate to get in, just attend class for the first couple lectures, and if nobody drops, talk to the professor. Just explain that you really need to get in this course and they'll likely help things along.

Archived