The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

School police cleared to carry AR-15s in Compton, California

key2thecup

School police cleared to carry AR-15s in Compton, California

officers-school-rifles-compton.si.jpg

Citing the national school shooting epidemic and potential acts of terrorism, the Compton, California school board has approved a policy allowing select campus police officers to carry semi-automatic AR-15 rifles in their patrol cars while on duty.

The school board approved a policy in July that will allow certain school district officers to buy these rifles and hold them in their cars should a mass shooting or terror attack occur, according to KPCC. The school district will train the chosen officers, who will then carry the firearms in their cars starting next month.

The policy has residents of Compton, located in southern Los Angeles County, concerned over potential use of excessive force in a school district that has, in the past, seen allegations from students of racial profiling by Compton school police officers.

Francisco Orozco, a recent high school graduate in the district and founder of the Compton Democratic Club, told KPCC this preparation for the worst-case scenario obscures day-to-day concerns that exist on local school campuses.

"The school police has been very notorious in the community and in reality has never had to shoot anyone before," said Orozco. "So this escalation of weapons we feel is very unnecessary."

Orozco noted that a lawsuit filed by district parents last year alleged racial profiling by Compton school officers. Students have also recently lodged complaints of excessive force used by school district authorities.

"The school police has not even earned the right to carry handguns," Orozco said.

The Compton School Police Officers Association countered similar pushback on the Compton Democratic Club’s Facebook page, saying that the Compton school district is not alone, as the “Los Angeles School PD, Baldwin Park School PD, Santa Ana School PD, Fontana School PD, San Bernandino School PD” have all authorized school officers “to deploy these weapons.”

“If we encounter an active mass murderer on campus with a rifle or body armor, our officers may not adequately be prepared to stop that suspect,” the group wrote. “School Police Officers will undergo a training course, followed by a shooting proficiency test on a firing range and a written exam. The rifles are designed for increased accuracy and use rifled ammunition than can pierce body armor. The safety of our Students, Staff, and Parents are very important to us.”

Compton Unified Police Chief William Wu told the school board that semi-automatic weapons are needed to counter body armor worn by shooters, which cannot be penetrated by standard firearms.

"This is our objective - save lives, bottom line," Wu told the board, according to KPCC.

"Handguns you'd be lucky to hit accurately at 25 yards," Wu said. "With a rifle in the hands of a trained person, you can be go 50, 100 yards accurately."

According to Fox News Latino, 65 percent of the community is Hispanic, and about 33 percent is African-American.

Use excessive force by police is a much-discussed topic lately, in light of the ongoing civil unrest in Ferguson, Missouri following the police killing of an unarmed teenager.

Writing in response to the controversy, Los Angeles Police Department officer Sunil Dutta was offered a platform by the Washington Post to say if citizens want to avoid police brutality, then they should do what officers say, no matter what.

f you don’t want to get shot, tased, pepper-sprayed, struck with a baton or thrown to the ground, just do what I tell you,” Dutta wrote. “Don’t argue with me, don’t call me names, don’t tell me that I can’t stop you, don’t say I’m a racist pig, don’t threaten that you’ll sue me and take away my badge. Don’t scream at me that you pay my salary, and don’t even think of aggressively walking towards me. Most field stops are complete in minutes. How difficult is it to cooperate for that long?”

Despite punitive police actions in Ferguson and around the country, and in the face of a nation that incarcerates far more people than all other nations combined, Dutta added:

“Police are legally permitted to use deadly force when they assess a serious threat to their or someone else’s life. Save your anger for later, and channel it appropriately. Do what the officer tells you to and it will end safely for both of you. We have a justice system in which you are presumed innocent; if a cop can do his or her job unmolested, that system can run its course. Later, you can ask for a supervisor, lodge a complaint or contact civil rights organizations if you believe your rights were violated. Feel free to sue the police! Just don’t challenge a cop during a stop.”

http://rt.com/usa/181720-officers-school-rifles-compton/

Writing in response to the controversy, Los Angeles Police Department officer Sunil Dutta was offered a platform by the Washington Post to say if citizens want to avoid police brutality, then they should do what officers say, no matter what.

f you don’t want to get shot, tased, pepper-sprayed, struck with a baton or thrown to the ground, just do what I tell you,” Dutta wrote. “Don’t argue with me, don’t call me names, don’t tell me that I can’t stop you, don’t say I’m a racist pig, don’t threaten that you’ll sue me and take away my badge. Don’t scream at me that you pay my salary, and don’t even think of aggressively walking towards me. Most field stops are complete in minutes. How difficult is it to cooperate for that long?”

Despite punitive police actions in Ferguson and around the country, and in the face of a nation that incarcerates far more people than all other nations combined, Dutta added:

“Police are legally permitted to use deadly force when they assess a serious threat to their or someone else’s life. Save your anger for later, and channel it appropriately. Do what the officer tells you to and it will end safely for both of you. We have a justice system in which you are presumed innocent; if a cop can do his or her job unmolested, that system can run its course. Later, you can ask for a supervisor, lodge a complaint or contact civil rights organizations if you believe your rights were violated. Feel free to sue the police! Just don’t challenge a cop during a stop.”

I am not quite sure why this is so hard for anyone to understand.

As for the story above, it's way overboard but it ties into the above statement. People just don't listen so all this seems to be is a threat to try and make people listen. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm going to listen to someone who is carrying that rifle above. Then again, I have respect for people in general and authority figures like police.

I am not quite sure why this is so hard for anyone to understand.

As for the story above, it's way overboard but it ties into the above statement. People just don't listen so all this seems to be is a threat to try and make people listen. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm going to listen to someone who is carrying that rifle above. Then again, I have respect for people in general and authority figures like police.

Randomly stopped person: "You're a racist pig!"

Cop: (pulls out gun and shots person)

Hmmm... seems legit....

the reason its cops are allowed these guns is because no one in that ass backwards country wants gun control... so when the bad guys have these weapons the cops need to have at leased the same fire power or else they will get wiped out too...

On the contrary, there was a very strong US gun control movement in the 90s, with the Brady Bill / Brady Foundation.

The problem is that leading people with clout in DC like those in the Brady Foundation were shown saying this is merely a step one to getting guns completely out of the hands of the populace.

It didn't sit well with the population this give-a-mouse-a-cookie approach. If it had just stopped with mild gun control, it would have been more than acceptable. However, it turned into much more.. with cities implementing total gun bans and states considering the same. That momentum of course had to be derailed with DC v. Heller.

I don't see police with military grade weapons at a school to be the right message to be sent (one big problem I've had with the US is how much more paranoid people are nowadays, and far less sociable.. scared their children will be abducted if they let them play in the front lawn or go to the park down the street), but given the crazies who've shot up schools, unfortunately it might be a viable solution.

I was in Compton last week (on my way to Long beach) they have some kick-a$$ burgers stands there.

Only been there a couple of times, but never felt un-safe. Always seems mellow to me, but then again, I don't go to high school there, and as we all know high school can be a lot like prision,

I understand why they want the riffles, but I think those mass shootings usually occur in suburbia, not inner city schools.

But, whatever, let the baby have it's bottle.

Until such time as one of these "officers" get verbally abused by these kids and snaps at which point the NRA steps in and says ARM THE KIDS!

They should. If they are ignoring the harm that comes from guns and only focusing on the benefits, then all kids should be armed since they are the most vulnerable in society. The kids would certainly be a lot safer from pedophiles.

That school district made a huge mistake. If they think the best way to stop violence is with guns then they seriously have a problem.

You wanna stop violence? If you would like that to happen you have to stop the attack before it happens. Instead of intimidating people with guns they should try and educate them about the consequences.

I was in Compton last week (on my way to Long beach) they have some kick-a$$ burgers stands there.

Only been there a couple of times, but never felt un-safe. Always seems mellow to me, but then again, I don't go to high school there, and as we all know high school can be a lot like prision,

I understand why they want the riffles, but I think those mass shootings usually occur in suburbia, not inner city schools.

But, whatever, let the baby have it's bottle.

Try going out there at night. You will change your mind.

Compton has definitely improved last few years, but it is still a full out war zone with the gangs.

One place where some heavy artillery might actually be need.

Not that I agree with M'urica or its full out Military Industrial Complex, but in this location is it sort out an exception.

Archived