The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A glimpse into next offseason

TheRussianRocket.

Seems like management will have quite a few contract decisions to make at the end of the season. Here's what they'll be facing.

UFA's to be

Forwards: Matthias, Richardson, Sestito, Dorsett, Jeffrey, O'Reilly

Defensemen: Sanguinetti, Biega

= 8 players.

RFA's to be

Forwards: Vey, Zalewski, Archibald, Grenier, Lain, Mallet, De Fazio, Kenins, Friesen

Defensemen: Sbisa, Tanev, Corrado, Stanton, Weber, Tommernes, Andersson

Goalies: Markstrom, Eriksson

= 18 players.

A grand total of 26 players that will have to dealt with. Safe to say JB will have his plate full.

I remember JB saying when he first came here that to have 4 lines to run, you need competition in the organization all year long. With all these NHL calibre and potentially NHL calibre players needing contracts renewed, it's looks like it'll pretty much play out like JB said. Will be competition all throughout training camp to make an impression and then the season for call ups and whatnot. Players will definitely be fighting for roster spots and there won't be a shortage of competition.

Will be interesting to see how everything plays out and who stays / goes.

Corrado- I suspect he'll get a Tanev-type deal

Tanev- always seems to take a while to sign for whatever reason

Stanton- sign for sure

Sbisa- I'd trade him at deadline to move corrado in.

Matthias- keep him for sure

Richardson- could be traded to a contender at deadline

Sestito- just let him walk

Dorsett- indifferent about him

All of those contracts are almost guaranteed to be under $2.5 million and most barely over $1 million.

JB isn't scared

Money isn't the problem, just said JB will have to handle a good chunk of the players. More so, it's seems there will likely be more players than NHL spots open and it might lead to some players signing elsewhere. Even if they don't and most re-sign, it's only a positive and there will be lots of emphasis players will put to fight for a spot.

Corrado- I suspect he'll get a Tanev-type deal

Tanev- always seems to take a while to sign for whatever reason

Stanton- sign for sure

Sbisa- I'd trade him at deadline to move corrado in.

Matthias- keep him for sure

Richardson- could be traded to a contender at deadline

Sestito- just let him walk

Dorsett- indifferent about him

I stopped reading after you said Corrado is better than Sbisa

I stopped reading after you said Corrado is better than Sbisa

I believe you inferred that yourself. I think AP is thinking of a youth movement, and you can get picks or/and prospects for Sbisa while developing Corrado in the NHL on the bottom pairing.

Drop Mallet, Archibald (if he doesn't make the NHL), Tommernes, Biega, Sestito so we have room to sign Subban, Cederholm and possibly McNally along with room for UFAs.

If players play out as they expect, these are my guesses at signings:

Linden Vey, 1.8M @ 4 years

Shawn Matthias, 1.75M @ 1 year.

Brad Richardson, 1.5M @ 2 years.

Derek Dorsett, 1.45M @ 1 year.

Chris Tanev, 3.5M @ 2 years.

Frank Corrado, 1.9M @ 2 years.

Ryan Stanton, 1.6M @ 1 year.

Lucas Sbisa, 1.5M @ 1 year.

I expect Markstrom to be gone this season.

If the cap goes up to 75M and my signings occur we should have 5.3M in cap space according to capgeek. Enough to get some depth and a top 6 player like Vrbata.

Linden Vey, 1.85M @ 4 years

Shawn Matthias, 1.75M @ 1 year.

Brad Richardson, 1.25M @ 2 years.

Derek Dorsett, 1.3M@ 1 year.

Chris Tanev, 3.5M @ 3 years.

Frank Corrado, 1.1M @ 2 years.

Ryan Stanton, 1.4M @ 1 year.

Lucas Sbisa, 1.5M @ 1 year.

I expect Markstrom to be gone this season as well.

Money isn't the problem, just said JB will have to handle a good chunk of the players. More so, it's seems there will likely be more players than NHL spots open and it might lead to some players signing elsewhere. Even if they don't and most re-sign, it's only a positive and there will be lots of emphasis players will put to fight for a spot.

Ya didn't even factor in the rookies and prospects over the last 2 seasons though.

Again, JB aint scared, and for once neither am I

Seems like management will have quite a few contract decisions to make at the end of the season. Here's what they'll be facing.

UFA's to be

Forwards: Matthias, Richardson, Sestito, Dorsett, Jeffrey, O'Reilly

Defensemen: Sanguinetti, Biega

= 8 players.

RFA's to be

Forwards: Vey, Zalewski, Archibald, Grenier, Lain, Mallet, De Fazio, Kenins, Friesen

Defensemen: Sbisa, Tanev, Corrado, Stanton, Weber, Tommernes, Andersson

Goalies: Markstrom, Eriksson

= 18 players.

A grand total of 26 players that will have to dealt with. Safe to say JB will have his plate full.

I remember JB saying when he first came here that to have 4 lines to run, you need competition in the organization all year long. With all these NHL calibre and potentially NHL calibre players needing contracts renewed, it's looks like it'll pretty much play out like JB said. Will be competition all throughout training camp to make an impression and then the season for call ups and whatnot. Players will definitely be fighting for roster spots and there won't be a shortage of competition.

Will be interesting to see how everything plays out and who stays / goes.

Predictions for Canuck Free Agents 2015:

UFAs Re-signed:

Matthias...3 years @ $2.25M per season (Benning's comment to SM: "I tried to trade for you" and seems like a JB-type player -- big, good skater, sneaky good offensive skills, 200' player).

Richardson...2 years @ $1.5M per season (IMO, he has the potential to be our Gregory Campbell-type player that JB seems to like)

Dorsett...2 years @ $1.75M (JB traded for him...can't see him letting Dorsett walk or get traded after one season)

RFAs Re-signed:

Vey, Zalewski, Grenier, Lain, Kenins, Tanev, Sbisa, Corrado, Stanton, Markstrom

My guess is that Eriksson, Andersson and Tommernes return to Sweden after this coming season.

It's possible that Cal O'Reilly and Alex Biega get offered AHL contracts.

It's possible that one or more of Weber, Stanton and Tanev are traded sometime during the season.

Archived