The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Player Discussion] Corrado

Bure to Mogilny

Part three of player discusson so franky corrado is 21 years old has played in 18 nhl games, 3 in the short season and 15 last year and 4 playoff games against the sharks. His points totals are low but has not shown to be a offensive guy. His plus side has allways bin to be a steady guy. Ive compaered him to chris tanev. He also shoots right and is a calm smart defenseman. Right now are defence looks like

Hamuis Tanev

Edler Sbisa

Stanton Bieksa

Leaving both weber and Corrado out looking in. Whats the chances people think hes got now? Is 21 years old but i think he plays an older more experenced game. Looks tough getting in that lineup so whats the solution? A nother year to ahl or could stanton be the number 7? Its tough to make that desision and also dont know whats to happen at traneing camp in september. :)

First call-up incase injuries, Sbisa sucks and Weber can't fill in. If he was to play in the top 6, I think him beside Hamhuis or Edler would probably be best with a Stanton-Bieksa pairing together for the season.

Plus if he's in the AHL he won't get alot of money on his next contract which could be a bargin if he can step into our top 6 during the 2015-16 season.

He's a future top 4 defenceman though, he's shown all the tools to become one but there isn't enough room for him to play there unless someone moves because we already have 8 defencemen on the Canucks roster.

I always like to see proper seasoning with these guys who are probably middle pairing defensemen in the future. He's shown decently in his call-ups, but is still young enough that he'll probably benefit from more time with the Comets.

Utica looks like it might be a better team this year, and Corrado's role will continue to grow with the team. He'll make the NHL eventually, and probably be a steady guy like Tanev (though, part of me feels Corrado has more upside).

Didn't Gillis burn off a year of his entry level contract? :picard:

making him cheaper to re-sign when it expires since the body of work his agent will have to work with during negotiations will be smaller and less impressive, yes.

Corrado will be in Utica unless injuries hit. A lot of questions about the Van roster going into the season. Can Edler's game be rejuvenated? Will Tanev plateau or continue his march up the depth chart? Stanton is a huge question. Was having a great rookie season last year before his injury. Came back and continued great play. If he continues to develop he will make older veteran dmen more expendable. It will take at least half a season for Benning and Willie D to assess what they have.

Corrado needs to learn the basic fundamentals of an NHL Defenceman and he will learn to be one with our affiliate. Our defence is pretty much set

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Stanton-Sbisa

He also needs to learn to be a point per game Defenceman in the AHL before he moves in with the big boys...

First call-up incase injuries, Sbisa sucks and Weber can't fill in. If he was to play in the top 6, I think him beside Hamhuis or Edler would probably be best with a Stanton-Bieksa pairing together for the season.

Plus if he's in the AHL he won't get alot of money on his next contract which could be a bargin if he can step into our top 6 during the 2015-16 season.

He's a future top 4 defenceman though, he's shown all the tools to become one but there isn't enough room for him to play there unless someone moves because we already have 8 defencemen on the Canucks roster.

Hey Plum,

You might be selling Sbisa a little short here, no? I know he hasn't lit the world on fire but he's young and was drafted with huge potential which he still has. I mean he hasn't even played a game in our jersey and you're selling him down the river already?

On Corrado, I really think it's more of a when is he going to get it and be a regular in the line-up, either at the start of the year with a great camp, middle of the year with injuries, or next year for sure.

Given the Canucks history of Dmen injuries, as the 7th Dman I expect to see Corrado get alot of NHL minutes this year. He is by far our most NHL ready prospect, showed he is a capable NHLer in his short time up here and looked good in Jr. almost making Canada's WJ team. I have high hopes for this kid and think his ceiling is even higher than Tanev's.

Seeing as Corrado doesn't have to pass through waivers, he will be a depth player for the Nucks. He will have plenty of opportunities to play on the team when there are injuries; the rest of the time he will be developing his game in Utica.

Corrado is part of the new genertion of players that will be developing into a solid group in Utica. He's still young -it usually takes longer for Dmen to make the jump to the NHL.

I'll say it again, Sbisa doesn't play on the right side but is a left side D-man. He'll be competing with Stanton for a spot on the roster, while Corrado will be competing with Weber (and possibly Sanguinetti if he impresses) for the final right side spot.

That, and this: Frank Corrado Talk

It's a pretty good thread, you should check it out.

Guest Dasein

Part three of player discusson so franky corrado is 21 years old has played in 18 nhl games, 3 in the short season and 15 last year and 4 playoff games against the sharks. His points totals are low but has not shown to be a offensive guy. His plus side has allways bin to be a steady guy. Ive compaered him to chris tanev. He also shoots right and is a calm smart defenseman. Right now are defence looks like

Hamuis Tanev

Edler Sbisa

Stanton Bieksa

Leaving both weber and Corrado out looking in. Whats the chances people think hes got now? Is 21 years old but i think he plays an older more experenced game. Looks tough getting in that lineup so whats the solution? A nother year to ahl or could stanton be the number 7? Its tough to make that desision and also dont know whats to happen at traneing camp in september. :)

I think the best bet for the top 6 is that, but not those pairings. Hamhuis-Tanev will be our #1 PK unit pairing, but I think for even strength, we will see Hamhuis with Bieksa again and Tanev with Edler.

Expecting him to be in Utica for the entire season to round out his game.

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Stanton

This is what I think our top 6 will look like as well - although I'm not sure as to who will play on their wrong side on the bottom pairing between Sbisa and Stanton yet.

I'll say it again, Sbisa doesn't play on the right side but is a left side D-man. He'll be competing with Stanton for a spot on the roster, while Corrado will be competing with Weber (and possibly Sanguinetti if he impresses) for the final right side spot.

That, and this: Frank Corrado Talk

It's a pretty good thread, you should check it out.

I don't see Weber being deployed as a permanent solution on the bottom 6 because of our division and conference. He is of a smaller stature and while he doesn't hurt you defensively, he doesn't provide enough offensively IMO (if you look at his numbers over the years) to earn a spot.

I've personally never seen Sanguinetti play, but I've heard that he is not physical at all, despite his reasonable size.

Sbisa has experience on the right side with Anaheim. I think we'll dress the best 6 defensemen, and that might mean we will have to put a LHD (Sbisa or Stanton) on the right side. Stanton looks very poised and made smart defensive plays when healthy, and I think he may work on the right side if Sbisa can't.

In a physical Western Conference, we're going to need some size back there.

I think we will see

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Stanton

Weber

PK: Hamhuis-Tanev, Edler-Bieksa/Stanton

PP: Hamhuis/Tanev-Edler, Sbisa-Bieksa

and Weber will switch in for Sbisa or Stanton (if one is struggling) or if we play smaller teams.

As for Corrado - he is close, but he could use another year in the AHL of being the go-to guy playing monster minutes. I think by next year, he will really push for the bottom pairing job. He's smart defensively, he has the size, he plays a tough game, and he can provide little bit of offense. I think he'll leap Weber by next season.

Yeah, but that's just talk. This is player discussion. Jeez.

Well that's a whole different basket of puppies.

I think he may push for a spot but I see him eating up big minutes in Utica until there is an injury on the right side. This kid has some real potential to be an NHL playet

Archived