The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Canucks Declare the position of Captain is Vacant before Training Camp?

VegasCanuck

Should WD Choose his own team Captain?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is not meant to show any disrespect to Henrik as I believe he has been a really good Captain for this team over the past few years.

We have very close to a full change of upper management and coaching staff. Full overhaul of the leadership of this team.

Should we be allowing the new coach the opportunity to choose his own Team Captain as we start the new season, just as we allowed our new GM the opportunity to choose his coach?

Again, no disrespect to Henrik, but if we are really trying to overhaul the personality of this team, should that or should that not also include the on-ice leadership?

What's everyone's thoughts?

What if WD feels that Henrik is the perfect example of a leader for the young players coming up? The captain doesn't have to be playing a certain "style", he just has to have a great attitude, hard work ethic, and be someone that not just young players - but everyone - looks up to.

I think this fits Henrik in every way possible, so why would you remove the captaincy from him?

What a stupid poll. We have a great captain already who led us to within one win of a Stanley Cup and donated a ton of his money money to local charities. Taking the C away from a likeable guy like Henrik and not even giving it to someone else right away is so stupid not even Torts would do it if he was still here.

What if WD feels that Henrik is the perfect example of a leader for the young players coming up? The captain doesn't have to be playing a certain "style", he just has to have a great attitude, hard work ethic, and be someone that not just young players - but everyone - looks up to.

I think this fits Henrik in every way possible, so why would you remove the captaincy from him?

Then he resumes his role as Captain.

Guest Dasein

Voted Other.

Because it's not about just disrespect.

Henrik is the captain of this team period. There is no other player on this team that can fill that role.

Bieksa (the only other possible candidate - other than Daniel I guess but he wouldn't take the "C" from his brother who is clearly the better leader of the two) is a great "A" but not a "C" - he's too erratic and doesn't have the respect that Henrik has from the league.

Absolutely not. In what world is that not disrespectful to Hank?

No.

What a stupid poll. We have a great captain already who led us to within one win of a Stanley Cup and donated a ton of his money money to local charities. Taking the C away from a likeable guy like Henrik and not even giving it to someone else right away is so stupid not even Torts would do it if he was still here.

You want to emulate the Sharks? Really?

Facepalm, level: captain.

henrik-facepalm.jpg

I'll add one thing: everyone is confused why the Sharks are doing it (apart from saying they don't want Thorton as captain any more and want to switch to a different leadership group) so that should be a sign that we don't want to follow suit.

For the record, I selected yes.

Why? Because the accountability for last year should spread throughout the team. If this is really a fresh start, then the coach should have the opportunity to go into training camp and see who he thinks best represents the style he wants this team to play and who WD would like to see as the captain for his term as coach.

Yes, he may wind up choosing Henrik as his Captain, but I believe that choice should come from a clean slate and based on a clean start from last year.

I may be wrong, but that's my opinion and not hiding from it!

I'll add one thing: everyone is confused why the Sharks are doing it (apart from saying they don't want Thorton as captain any more and want to switch to a different leadership group) so that should be a sign that we don't want to follow suit.

No confusion at all. They're trying to run Thornton out of town.

For the record, I selected yes.

Why? Because the accountability for last year should spread throughout the team. If this is really a fresh start, then the coach should have the opportunity to go into training camp and see who he thinks best represents the style he wants this team to play and who WD would like to see as the captain for his term as coach.

Yes, he may wind up choosing Henrik as his Captain, but I believe that choice should come from a clean slate and based on a clean start from last year.

I may be wrong, but that's my opinion and not hiding from it!

We know you chose yes

Archived