The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bertuzzi camp to explore suing Moore's brother

Lawyer for Todd Bertuzzi: Steve Moores brother does not know what he is talking about'

Aug 21 2014, 10:46 AMIan McLaren

Geoff Adair, a lawyer for Todd Bertuzzi, debunked claims from Steve Moore's brother that a deal hasn't officially been reached to settle a lawsuit filed against his client.

Mark Moore [steve's brother] is not a party to this lawsuit and does not know what he is talking about nor is he very smart to have made untrue defamatory statements such as these, Adair told the National Post on Thursday.

With this, Adair affirmed his statement from Wednesday that a firm and binding agreement that was enforceable by a court had been reached by all parties involved. He added Bertuzzi's camp "will consider" taking action against Mark Moore in light of his seemingly misinformed claim.

On Wednesday, Bertuzzi himself offered the following statement in light of the resolution (via the Detroit Free Press): I have never spoken about this case. I wont speak of it now. To all my fans, to all the teams and teammates I have played with and to all my friends, thank you. Thank you.

Add it all up, and it appears as though this case can officially and finally be put to rest.

**the above was copied and pasted from the score.ca's mobile app***

I could say that there hasnt been an agreement yet... would he sue me too

Maybe because of being a sibling to one party, that causes a misrepresentation of being an authority of knowledge? I think his remarks also may have included Moore as being too injured to make a decision

Maybe because of being a sibling to one party, that causes a misrepresentation of being an authority of knowledge? I think his remarks also may have included Moore as being too injured to make a decision

I’m on Bertuzzi’s side but honestly lol. "Mark Moore [steve's brother] is not a party to this lawsuit and does not know what he is talking about.” No one else that makes BS up is a party to the lawsuit either, so sue them all!

Steve Moore can pay the fine, he can afford it now. I think the defamation part is that Mark stated the Burtuzzi and his lawyer are trying to put pressure on Steve to settle by announcing there isn't a deal. I am not too sure how saying there isn't a deal is defamation.

i think the defamation claim is more related to mark moore insinuating that bertuzzi's legal team was lying to the media about a settlement in order to put pressure on moore's camp to get a deal done so that bertuzzi can sign a contract with a team.

If there was an agreement between all parties not to discuss the agreement then Moore should have just shut his trap.

Here's what Mark Moore apparently said:

“I got a text message from Steve last night and he’s very concerned,” Mark Moore told TSN. “He says there is no deal yet and isn’t sure what to do about all the media speculation.

“Because of the injury he has trouble making decisions and so he doesn’t know how to handle the media.”

And Mark Moore went even further, questioning why Bertuzzi’s camp is so eager to get a deal done now:

“Bertuzzi is a free agent and he wants to sign a contract,” Mark Moore continued. “They are trying to put on pressure. You see the Canucks have not made a statement.”

The bolded part sort of makes Bert and his camp potentially look bad and I'm assuming this is the part Bert's lawyer is looking at in terms of any possible defamation.

Steve Moore and company would have to be brain dead to take this to court so an out of court settlement was inevitable. Can you just imagine the long drawn out parade of experts and witnesses being called? The Moore camp would have to prove that the Bertuzzi punch caused the damage and not the Colorado players that piled on with force or that the damage was not caused by Moores head hitting the ice which would bring the helmet and other gear into question since it is supposed to protect you from injury. Moore could have also had a previous border line fracture that contributed to the injury that would not have occured under other circumstances. The Bertuzzi camp could play the McSorley assault on Brashear where he whacked him over the head with his stick(from behind).with severe force and pose the question, 'if Brashears neck was not broken in that episode, how can the Moore camp claim with all certainty that the Bertuzzi punch fractured Moore's neck? '.

This case would be before the courts for another 10 years with no one ever being able to render a verdict not to mention the number of counter suits against the league, the equipment manufacturers, the media etc.

There is no argument from the Bertuzzi camp that Bertuzzi did punch Moore but that does not in any way prove that Bertuzzi caused catistrophic injury to Moore.

The only way this could be resolved is with an out of court settlement for a 'reasonable' dollar figure. If this ever went to court, there is just as high a probability that the judge or jury find that Bertuzzi did attack Moore but that the punch was not the cause of Moore's injuries as the other way around. The Moore camp would be stupid not to take the offer and thank their lucky stars that this never went to court for a judge to determine the outcome and for possibly a lot less than the settlement.

Waiting for all of the people who constantly deride Moore for not "being a man" and "walking away" to now say the same thing about Bertuzzi.

Why should he? He just had some money yanked out of his pocket and he still has to pay his lawyers a hefty sum. Might as well counter-sue and gets some of that scratch back if you can.

Steve Moore and company would have to be brain dead to take this to court so an out of court settlement was inevitable. Can you just imagine the long drawn out parade of experts and witnesses being called? The Moore camp would have to prove that the Bertuzzi punch caused the damage and not the Colorado players that piled on with force or that the damage was not caused by Moores head hitting the ice which would bring the helmet and other gear into question since it is supposed to protect you from injury. Moore could have also had a previous border line fracture that contributed to the injury that would not have occured under other circumstances. The Bertuzzi camp could play the McSorley assault on Brashear where he whacked him over the head with his stick(from behind).with severe force and pose the question, 'if Brashears neck was not broken in that episode, how can the Moore camp claim with all certainty that the Bertuzzi punch fractured Moore's neck? '.

This case would be before the courts for another 10 years with no one ever being able to render a verdict not to mention the number of counter suits against the league, the equipment manufacturers, the media etc.

There is no argument from the Bertuzzi camp that Bertuzzi did punch Moore but that does not in any way prove that Bertuzzi caused catistrophic injury to Moore.

The only way this could be resolved is with an out of court settlement for a 'reasonable' dollar figure. If this ever went to court, there is just as high a probability that the judge or jury find that Bertuzzi did attack Moore but that the punch was not the cause of Moore's injuries as the other way around. The Moore camp would be stupid not to take the offer and thank their lucky stars that this never went to court for a judge to determine the outcome and for possibly a lot less than the settlement.

Actually no, Bertuzzi plead guilty to criminal assault charges. This trial was about how much compensation Moore would get as it was a foregone conclusion that Bert would have to pay something for it.

I could say that there hasn’t been an agreement yet... would he sue me too

Can I sue Moore for wasting my time and giving me hardship from other teams fans for being a Canucks fan?

If he didn't cheap shot Naslund none of this would have happened.

Archived