The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.S Giguere Announces retirement.

KingAlex

Colorado Avalanche goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere announced his retirement Thursday after 16 seasons in the NHL.

The 37-year-old earned 262 victories in 597 regular-season games and won a Stanley Cup with theAnaheim Ducks in 2007. Giguere won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 2003, when the Ducks lost the Cup Final to the New Jersey Devils in seven games.

Giguere, a first-round pick (No. 13) of the Hartford Whalers in the 1995 NHL Draft, finished 262-216-50 with 25 ties, a 2.53 goals-against average, .913 save percentage and 38 shutouts for the Whalers, Calgary Flames, Ducks, Toronto Maple Leafs and Avalanche. He went 33-17 with a 2.08 GAA and .925 save percentage in 52 playoff games.

According to the Avalanche website, Giguere announced his retirement in Quebec with the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada hockey team, where he is a part owner of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League franchise.

Giguere spent the past three seasons in a backup role with the Avalanche. He played in 72 games for Colorado and went 31-21-8 with a 2.51 GAA and .914 save percentage. He went 11-6-1 in 22 games last season with a 2.62 GAA and two shutouts.

"On behalf of the Colorado Avalanche, I would like to congratulate Jean-Sebastien on an outstanding hockey career," executive vice president of hockey operations Joe Sakic said. "His achievements speak for themselves, from winning the Stanley Cup to winning the Conn Smythe, Jiggy was always a top-notch goaltender. He was also a very important part of our team during the past three seasons, providing veteran leadership and stability in net. We wish him and his family the best of luck."~NHL.com

Some of his most memorable moments are...

- Drafted as a first round selection.

- One of the greatest performance in NHL history in the 2003 playoffs.

- A 60 save performance

- Received Conn Smythe despite being a losing player.(Fifth to do so)

- Welcomed a new born son to his life while winning the cup just months later.

A Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe in separate years is a nice legacy. I remember he was really dominant against the Canucks during the 2007 Playoffs.

I also recall another goalie who was dominant against the canucks in the playoffs. I believe he went by the name Tim.

One of my favourite goalies of the past 15 years, and in some ways one of the best.

Giguere always saved his best hockey for the playoffs.

Like so many players the Calgary Flames gave up on, Giguere went on to achieve great things when given a chance.

He is extremely intelligent and was arguably the league's best positional goalie during his prime. Like Patrick Roy before him, many goalies patterned their style after JS Giguere's highly technical butterfly.

Having said that, Jiggy's greatest strength was his mental game. Confident, poised, with the temperament of a Hall-of-Famer, his consistent quality goaltending, commitment to his play and competitive aura defined him.

He might not have the regular season wins of a Brodeur, Luongo or Roy, but during the playoffs Giguere was reliable, made timely saves and was a clutch player who commanded great respect from both teammates and opponents.

Archived