The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting write up on Radim Vrbata

HIGGINS!

Sbisa will be that guy...I think he will be a HUGE success in Vancouver...He's battled injury and subsequently got lost on the depth chart in Anaheim. Given the opportunity he will develop into a top 2 D-man for us.

Pretty optimistic prediction for Sbisa but I like the positivity :D

The Sedins are plenty tough enough and much tougher than most hockey fans outside of Canuck nation give them credit for, but much like the exaggerated comment the Sedins are playing against defenders 50 pounds heavier night in and night out (last time I checked, the Sedins clocked in at 187 to 188 pounds and there is barely a handful of d-men in the NHL who weigh in at >235), it seems like your view of the Sedins' grittiness much be just a tad exaggerated.

Yup, the Sedins play tough between the whistles, and put up with a lot of abuse from schmos who try to intimidate/agitate them, but they have shown that their productivity drops off when the physicality ramps up.

Henrik Sedin: Reg. Season PPG: 0.83; Reg. Season +/-: +203 / Playoffs PPG: 0.75 (nearly 10% drop); Playoff +/-: -15

Daniel Sedin: Reg. Season PPG: 0.82; Reg. Season +/-: +172 / Playoffs PPG: 0.70 (nearly 15% drop); Playoff +/-: -11

Still decent productivity for the playoffs, but if they had another "gear" of grittiness, I'm guessing their playoff productivity would equal their regular season productivity.

Most offensive players productivity goes down in the playoffs due to the tighter checking, less space, increased physicality etc. It's generally your bigger, more physical and depth guys who "elevate their game" ( :rolleyes: ) in the playoffs precisely because their respective style of play tends to thrive more in that environment/style of play. See: Crosby (AKA "the best player in the world"). Also see: "depth wins cups".

I'd also recommend you look at their numbers in the last 8 years (since actually becoming top line/no longer depth players). They've been awfully damned consistent reg season and playoffs until last years debacle of injuries, no depth and poor coaching.

I've liked Vrbata for a long time and never thought he'd be a Canuck. My only concern with this is that maybe we've picked up another Messier/Sundin: you know, guys who WERE extremely effective, but at 33, how much left in the tank does Radim have? We paid good coin for this guy, so hopefully he can still deliver. Also, remember that this isn't '08 or '09 or even '11. The Twins are getting older like Radim is and teams have had years to study the way Danny and Hank play and how to shut them down. It looks good on paper, but there are a few big question marks here, not to mention whether or not Vrbata will have chemistry with the twins in the first place.

For me the key to the success of the first line comes down to the success of the 2nd line. If opposing teams don't have much to worry about with the likes of Bonino and company, that entire first paragraph doesn't mean anything. You just put out your top shut down unit up against the twins like in the past and we're toast because the rest of the lineup doesn't pose a threat. I'd be careful getting too excited about Vrbata. The guy can play, has a great shot and everything, but if the 3 of them have to contend with the top defensive unit of the other team and there's nothing coming from the rest of the Canucks line up, forget about it.

28 goals would go a long way in replacing Kelser. 30 or more goals would make our top line a major threat again and that's what I think will happen.

Agreed. I said when he was first acquired that it wouldn't surprise me if he potted 35.

Nothing against his line mates in Arizona, but he's never played with guys on the level of talent the Sedins have.

2 points. No, not my prediction for Vrbata....

1.) Vrbata will not be able to provide the Sedins with enough grit to battle top defenders in the West without a gritty and dangerous second line assuming some of the D's attention. That is not to say he won't match his historical average, I just question that he will be eclipsing 30 goals, something he has only done once.

2.) Vrbata's best seasons have come with puck moving Dmen accumulating good assist totals. He had Jovo and Yandle. Who is going to feed him the puck here?

I would be cautious to predict 30 goals, I see him getting similar numbers to last season, 20G, 30A, 50 points. Nothing wrong with that.

Hardly any of his goals were scored off the rush so I don't think who's feeding him (or anyone else) the puck through the neutral zone will make any difference.

He makes his bread and butter within 20' of the net, and once the Sedins get possession in the offensive zone, this guy will be popping water bottles like he's dying of thirst.

I've liked Vrbata for a long time and never thought he'd be a Canuck. My only concern with this is that maybe we've picked up another Messier/Sundin: you know, guys who WERE extremely effective, but at 33, how much left in the tank does Radim have? We paid good coin for this guy, so hopefully he can still deliver. Also, remember that this isn't '08 or '09 or even '11. The Twins are getting older like Radim is and teams have had years to study the way Danny and Hank play and how to shut them down. It looks good on paper, but there are a few big question marks here, not to mention whether or not Vrbata will have chemistry with the twins in the first place.

For me the key to the success of the first line comes down to the success of the 2nd line. If opposing teams don't have much to worry about with the likes of Bonino and company, that entire first paragraph doesn't mean anything. You just put out your top shut down unit up against the twins like in the past and we're toast because the rest of the lineup doesn't pose a threat. I'd be careful getting too excited about Vrbata. The guy can play, has a great shot and everything, but if the 3 of them have to contend with the top defensive unit of the other team and there's nothing coming from the rest of the Canucks line up, forget about it.

I believe that both Radim and Zack will spend time with the Twins, with Radim on the second line, at times, to spread the scoring .. he is a very adaptable player.

Hardly any of his goals were scored off the rush so I don't think who's feeding him (or anyone else) the puck through the neutral zone will make any difference.

He makes his bread and butter within 20' of the net, and once the Sedins get possession in the offensive zone, this guy will be popping water bottles like he's dying of thirst.

Ah Benning...

Good article. I hope Vrbata and the Sedins demonstrate good chemistry and he can do what Burrows did in earlier years -- act as a triggerman for two excellent playmakers and open up some space for Daniel to get some more good looks at the net and more goals.

One factor that is missing, however, is age. At age 33 Vrbata is at the stage where we usually observe noticeable age-related decline. He should still be a good player, but not as good as his average over the past 5 years.

Same with the Sedins. They have to bounce back to some extent with a new (and much better) coach, but they won't be as good as they were 3, 4 and 5 years ago.

Bottom line: The Sedins and Vrbata project as a decent first line, but no better than an average first line for the NHL overall. This is an improvement over last year, however, and might be enough to get them in the playoffs with better depth among the forwards, a bounceback from Edler, and good goaltending.

1 goal in his last 16 games last season. Combined with lengthly goal droughts from the twins last year, our first line going dry for long spells coming up isn't out of the question, but we're depending on Vrbata to fuel a Sedin rebound.

He's signed for just 2 years, so it's no big deal.

Replacing Keslers goals isn't the problem. It's replacing his ability to stop the other team from scoring.

Not that we also don't need goal scoring. Hopefully he'll help fill that need at least.

Or replacing his ability to win possession, transition the neutral zone and force top offensive lines to back check.

Kes did a lot of things for this team on the ice he doesn't get enough credit for, it's a completely different squad without him.

Kes did a lot of things for this team on the ice he doesn't get enough credit for, it's a completely different squad without him.

I don't think anyone's debating the bold text. Is it a better/worse squad though...that's the question.

I don't think anyone's debating the bold text. Is it a better/worse squad though...that's the question.

Well "on paper" I would say much worse, we have absolutely no one who can move the puck, and no one who scares/irritates/scores on other teams top players, plus no one who can get the Sedin's the zone starts they do best with.

However, strange things can happen in this game, and if this team finds chemistry (Perhaps because of Kesler's absence) then anything is possible.

Actually, I take that back, Kassian and Burrows can get pucks through the Neutral zone. They can also/irritate and score...I hope....Some mentioned a Burrows/Kassian/Bonino line in another thread, on paper, I think that trio could work really well together.

Once he's in the offensive zone Bonino does have the skill to make things happen, he just needs A LOT of help getting there.

Vrbata has never had the quality of line mates he should get with the twins. Don't be surprised if he posts career highs if things work out. Plus he could possibly get us an extra 3-5pts in the standings for being the difference maker in shoot-outs (and Miller is a better SO goalie than Luongo which should help too). Love this signing - good article.

I don't know, The Twins have always done better with a winger who was willing to muck around in the dirty areas, From Linden and Klatt all the way to Burrows.

I really don't know Radim's game, but if he just kind of slinks around trying to find an unopposed position to shoot from, then I don't think it will work,

Burrows would always help dig the puck out, THEN start trying to get position, that's how the classic cycles always began, The Sedins need help winning and maintaining puck possession. Burrows was great at it, Kes was good too. Vbrata? We will see, has anyone watched him play a lot?

I don't know, The Twins have always done better with a winger who was willing to muck around in the dirty areas, From Linden and Klatt all the way to Burrows.

I really don't know Radim's game, but if he just kind of slinks around trying to find an unopposed position to shoot from, then I don't think it will work,

Burrows would always help dig the puck out, THEN start trying to get position, that's how the classic cycles always began, The Sedins need help winning and maintaining puck possession. Burrows was great at it, Kes was good too. Vbrata? We will see, has anyone watched him play a lot?

Naslund played on a line with the Sedins at the end of his career and the line was amazing, unfortunately the rest of the lines couldn't score so they were forced to break it up. Sedins have always played with muckers because the team never had enough skill to stack a line.

For years we have heard how much better a RH RWer would be better for the Sedins and their cycle, ever since the Anson Carter days. I am excited to see a skilled RHer play with the Sedins, we have been watching them for 15 years, it's about time!!!

Hopefully the secondary scoring is enough to take a bit of the pressure off. So happy Kesler and his arrogant whiny diving attitude is off this team, get back to a level of respectability. I'd rather lose with class and character, two things Kesler lacked.

Naslund played on a line with the Sedins at the end of his career and the line was amazing, unfortunately the rest of the lines couldn't score so they were forced to break it up. Sedins have always played with muckers because the team never had enough skill to stack a line.

For years we have heard how much better a RH RWer would be better for the Sedins and their cycle, ever since the Anson Carter days. I am excited to see a skilled RHer play with the Sedins, we have been watching them for 15 years, it's about time!!!

Hopefully the secondary scoring is enough to take a bit of the pressure off. So happy Kesler and his arrogant whiny diving attitude is off this team, get back to a level of respectability. I'd rather lose with class and character, two things Kesler lacked.

If memory serves me, Carter was a fairly well rounded player. He would dig for 50/50 pucks, dump it if there was no other play then go and try to get it back,

Those are the qualities I think best suit the Sedins, don't get me wrong they will go into the boards and fight for possession, they aren't physical player but they never shy away from doing the dirty work, if need be, I just think that because they may lack a little in the "nastiness" category, they could use a winger who not only knows how to get open but is willing to fight for possession. Even get a little mean if need be someone like....well...Burrows.

When I think of the worst possible wingers for the Sedins I think of guys like Ovechkin (Lately) who are only thinking shot, and who spend all their time in the offensive zone away from the puck, trying to cycle through optimal shooting positions, then bang their stick when they get open. That type of player will not work. That type of player would have been a great fit for Kes, if he had dished the puck more often.

I don't know much about Vbrata's style of play, other then he scores goals, so I'm not indicting him, I'm just wondering what type of player he is (Beyond the goals) and how he will mesh with Danny and Hanks skill set.

I personally would prefer to see Kassian take an extended run with the twins, I think he has the tools to fit in with them quite nicely, would also be a good confidence booster for him, get him used to scoring goals, until he just sees himself as a scorer,

My question still stands, has anyone watched Vbrata extensively? And if so what can you tell us about his game beyond the stat line?

I seem to recall that Naslund/Sedins line being good but not great, however that was during a year that AV had them trapping (At Nonis's request I suspect) Everyone's offensive totals were down.

I agree a skilled RW would be great but that could mean a lot of things, Not all skilled wingers play the same type of game.

If you watch Vrbata's highlights you can see he scores alot of goals off the rush. If he doesn't work well with the Sedins I can see him doing really well with Burrows and Bonino on the 2nd line.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata

Hansen-Matthias-Higgins

If those Top 9 guys can stay healthy we should have some nice, balanced scoring for once.

I seem to recall that Naslund/Sedins line being good but not great, however that was during a year that AV had them trapping (At Nonis's request I suspect) Everyone's offensive totals were down.

I agree a skilled RW would be great but that could mean a lot of things, Not all skilled wingers play the same type of game.

I see what your are saying but the Sedins are not dump and chase line. Something Torts tried and failed at. They are also amongst the best in the league on the boards. I've seen too many of their winger miss open nets because they l are not skilled enough. I think Vrbata is exactly the type of player they need. He's a decent checker and is a good puck possession player.

Archived