The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dealing through Ebay or Kijiji (WARNING)

ScotianLifestyle

Its been a while since I posted but I felt the need to let everyone here know on CDC,

Last night I was trying to get a canucks edge jersey 1.0 for 75$(quite the steal) and found this guy in North Bay, Ontario selling one, so I asked if it was possible to ship, and so we traded postal codes to see the overall estimated shipping costs, then things started getting seriously strange when I sent him an offer and this was his reply:

"I'm in no rush.However I believe $75 for the jersey is very fair. As you might imagine, I have taken steps to verify your identity. Is (My mothers name insert here) your mother?"

I was creeped out by this, I tried using reverse look up but the only way you can find my mothers name is through our phone number(didn't gave that) so some how he managed to track down and verify my address and find my Mothers name within the postal code I sent, which is incredibly strange and considering that I gave little information, why would he need to verify me??

I'm not sure how to deal with this, but I will waiting for his reply, I tracked his email IP where he sent it from and email is originating in Richmond Hill, Ontario, not from North Bay.

So please everyone,those that deal around for gamers be careful who your dealing with out there, I myself have been doing this for a while, and this never happened once and when someone has that information, its pretty scary.

- ScotianLifestyle

Its not that hard i do it all the time. He was obviously threatened/sceptical/offended when you asked to have it shipped. Your email was probably very similar to the paypal scams on kijiji. I have a sled for sale on kijiji right now I get at least 1 of those a day. I tend to mess with them.

He probably found your Facebook and creeped it hard enough to find your family.

Its not that hard i do it all the time. He was obviously threatened/sceptical/offended when you asked to have it shipped. Your email was probably very similar to the paypal scams on kijiji. I have a sled for sale on kijiji right now I get at least 1 of those a day. I tend to mess with them.

He probably found your Facebook and creeped it hard enough to find your family.

Thanks, gave me a laugh, still its creepy when someone mentions your mothers name and they are a complete stranger(She refuses to have facebook)

I really like the idea of kijiji and craigslist but all the scams an bad buyers/sellers make it nearly impossible to complete a sale anymore. I've said it for a long time that kijiji needs to make it mandatory to have an account system to punish bad sale ethics.

I've sold and night on those websites and never had an issue. But any weird garbage like that and just immediately forget them. It's pretty weird that you bothered to reverse look him up and track his IP etc... makes you sound like the weird one lol.

Basic common sense and they are great to use.

I really like the idea of kijiji and craigslist but all the scams an bad buyers/sellers make it nearly impossible to complete a sale anymore. I've said it for a long time that kijiji needs to make it mandatory to have an account system to punish bad sale ethics.

Exactly. I still would like to buy the Jersey, but I'm just as sketpical as he is

I don't get it .... he's the one selling the jersey right? The guy that tries to find info on the other party is usually the buyer, not the seller ... and it's not that hard to get information like your mother's name if you are a bit computer savvy.

I guess he could have said that to try to make it sound legit but he's a bad thief if he did. Basically buying goods without meeting face to face is risky. What you should do is get photo ID and then send a money order / check to that name only or something to that effect. You can also see if he/she has any other adds, and or set up your own fake email and contact them casually about the jersey ... and see if they say it's sold. If he is a scammer he will sell someone else a second fake jersey.

At the very least if you get them to jump through some hoops like call them in person to get a feel for how they talk, you can get a sense of someone that way, and make them send picture ID, etc., most scammers will back out if you pressure them.

Also, keep in mind that if it's under $500 or $1000 or whatever the limit your police force sets the police will do absolutely nothing even if they have that person's bank account information because they deem it a waste of their time. I found that out the hard way after I got scammed for some Ben Harper tickets.

As far as location of where the email was sent - doesn't matter, I'm in Armstrong but the ip that is given to me from my ISP says I'm in Kelowna.

As far as Kijiji and Ebay - I've been on Ebay for over 10 years and been on Kijiji for a long time as well and never had an issue.

Strange. I've only used kijiji 4 times and all experiences were fine. I sold 2 things on there (Blackberry and a PS4) and bought 2 things from there (iPhone and an Xbox).

Reading stories like this creep me out from wanting to use these.

For the record, North Bay is very far from Richmond Hill. I live near RH and North Bay is quite some distance away.

Maybe north bay gets used more for kijiji? More hits = better chance to sell. Not from Ontario though so only a guess.

Both sites though do have warnings about shipping items and not meeting in person.

I would use paypal. He can send you an invoice on the goods being shipped. Than you get a receipt and paypal security on the item being sent.

Archived