The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 30 in 30 by NHL.com

Derp...

If corrado and Jensen are considered prospects than by age/games played so is vey. Take out Cederholm, and Demko and add Cassels and Vey and I think this list is accurate.

Considering the article said Demko is slated to be USA's #1 in the WJC this year you would still take him off the list? Or do you mean guys ready to make the jump soon?

Considering the article said Demko is slated to be USA's #1 in the WJC this year you would still take him off the list? Or do you mean guys ready to make the jump soon?

I don't think either would make sense. Perhaps he means because goalies take longer to develop, Demko isn't on the top ten. There are at least ten other Canucks prospects that will make it to the NHL ahead of him

I'm really looking forward to seeing Jensen take that next step. Those soft hands of his to go with his big frame. And such a quick release too.

While cracking the first line with the Sedins is most likely out of the question, I'm hoping Jensen can make the second line at the very most.

No Vey - I would consider him a prospect still, as he hasn't cracked an NHL lineup yet.

High praise for Cederholm - This is both good news (yay 5th rounder) and bad (we are paper thin on defensive prospects)

I would switch Shink and Jensen - They had a comment on the Canucks not having a lot of skill after Vrbata on RW - Jensen will get a look.

But what about Kassian? Apparently NHL.com thinks he has no skill.

Shinkaruk's growing injury history, major injuries early, although he's bounced back, is a growing concern.

Gaunce and Horvat will probably see time on the Canucks. Gaunce is more ready than Horvat.

No Vey - I would consider him a prospect still, as he hasn't cracked an NHL lineup yet.

High praise for Cederholm - This is both good news (yay 5th rounder) and bad (we are paper thin on defensive prospects)

I would switch Shink and Jensen - They had a comment on the Canucks not having a lot of skill after Vrbata on RW - Jensen will get a look.

But what about Kassian? Apparently NHL.com thinks he has no skill.

Shinkaruk's growing injury history, major injuries early, although he's bounced back, is a growing concern.

Gaunce and Horvat will probably see time on the Canucks. Gaunce is more ready than Horvat.

Cederholm is quite good defensively though, he is solid when playing in his own zone. Just the knock on him is that he doesn't fully use his skating and needs to work on the offensive side of the game next year in portland.

He is already a man playing amongst kids in the dub.

Rosen sounded like he was really stretching with the whole IF Bonino is a 2nd line center, then the Canucks are in the playoffs argument. By all accounts, including his, Bonino is going to be stretched in that role.

Bonino can put up some points, but to me the bigger concern is the lack of a decent-minutes checking center. That role is going to be left to a group of players who are stretched to play in that role for long. To me Matthias is the best option there, but the Canucks aren't even convinced he's a center. A concern was that he didn't exactly excel in that role in Florida. The other option is Brad Richardson, but he's a converted winger too. Good think Horvat and Gaunce are on the way, but it's a big ask for them to fill a tough minutes role right away.

One thing of note is the team no longer has a RH faceoff option. There's Vey, but he's so far a playmaking RW in the NHL.

Our PK took a hit with no Kesler. Our PP took a hit with no Garrison. Miller is no upgrade on Luongo. Vrbata and a healthy Santorelli is a bit of a wash. Our western competition all improved. Concluding that we're a playoff team? While at the same time focusing an article on our prospects?

Rosen sounded like he was really stretching with the whole IF Bonino is a 2nd line center, then the Canucks are in the playoffs argument. By all accounts, including his, Bonino is going to be stretched in that role.

Bonino can put up some points, but to me the bigger concern is the lack of a decent-minutes checking center. That role is going to be left to a group of players who are stretched to play in that role for long. To me Matthias is the best option there, but the Canucks aren't even convinced he's a center. A concern was that he didn't exactly excel in that role in Florida. The other option is Brad Richardson, but he's a converted winger too. Good think Horvat and Gaunce are on the way, but it's a big ask for them to fill a tough minutes role right away.

One thing of note is the team no longer has a RH faceoff option. There's Vey, but he's so far a playmaking RW in the NHL.

Our PK took a hit with no Kesler. Our PP took a hit with no Garrison. Miller is no upgrade on Luongo. Vrbata and a healthy Santorelli is a bit of a wash. Our western competition all improved. Concluding that we're a playoff team? While at the same time focusing an article on our prospects?

A coaching change might be all it takes to get the most out of our players again. If WD is a good match for the Sedins, Edler, and Burrows, we might make the playoffs.

I'm actually just surprised he picked us to make the playoffs, normally nhl.com doesn't think too highly of the Canucks.

Funny thing is, I agree more with this list than I do with the Canucks Army top 20, and that's weird considering NHL.com doesn't give a crap about the Canucks.

Are you a big Cederholm fan? Otherwise, I'm not sure why you'd feel this way?

CanucksArmy has only released their rankings for 10-20 and they still haven't done a top nine. NHL.com is only doing a top ten.

There's a pretty good chance these lists are going to lineup pretty well against each other.

The only other notable differences so far, besides Cederhold (#10 on NHL.com and #20 on CA), is Demko (#7 on NHL.com and #13 on CA), Fox (#8 on NHL.com and #12 on CA), and Subban (#10 on CA and didn't place on NHL.com's list).

I suspect that CA will have something similar for their top-five to what you've seen from NHL.com (it's likely Corrado will be higher on CA's list). CA will probably have McCann higher than #9 and there's a good chance they'll have Hutton in their top-10 (he was left off NHL.com's list).

But for the most part, the lists will be pretty similar.

And personally, I don't like having Cederholm at #10 (that's way too high IMO). Otherwise, I'm fine with NHL.com's rankings. But I'm sure I'll be fine with CanucksArmy's top-10 as well.

The main thing is that we have the strongest and deepest group of prospects the Canucks have had this century.

And while I might agree with a couple of NHL.com's rankings (over CanucksArmy), I find that their list suggests a slight degree of ignorance regarding the Canucks' entire group of prospects (especially given how a couple players made it into that top-10 over some of those excluded). At least CA gives a bigger picture (through a top-20) and tried to back-up their rankings with detailed explanations and profiles. While I have issues with some of their contributors (and their obvious biases), I think their list is well-reasoned and has good supporting evidence (I just might read it a little differently).

I'm not quite sure why they have quotes from our staff saying Bonino will be playing with Burrows and Higgins/Kass and then in the lineup projection throw Burrows to the thrid line?

Seems counter intuitive to me, but maybe there isn't any cross pollination between the article writers.

This is the lineup in case people are wondering:

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Radim Vrbata

Chris Higgins - Nick Bonino - Zack Kassian

Alexandre Burrows - Shawn Matthias - Jannik Hansen

Derek Dorsett - Brad Richardson - Linden Vey

Dustin Jeffrey - Tom Sestito

I'm not quite sure why they have quotes from our staff saying Bonino will be playing with Burrows and Higgins/Kass and then in the lineup projection throw Burrows to the thrid line?

Seems counter intuitive to me, but maybe there isn't any cross pollination between the article writers.

Cool, you hyper linked them too. You lost me at Jeffery though, I think he'll be in the minors. Guys like Burrows and Hansen really have to earn their spots this year, and this article just proves that there is young guys gunning for their spots. Jensen, Shinkaruk and Horvat were all really close to NHL ready last year. Factor in consecutive unproductive seasons from Burrows/Hansen and I have to believe their spots are open. If anything, the sheer ruthlessness of Benning/Linden in buying out Booth and trading away Garrison just proves they're not messing around with anyone unproductive.

Getting top heavy in forward prospects. That's definitely encouraging. Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Virtanen, Jensen, Vey, McCann all project as NHL players. There are good possibilities also for Fox, Cassels and lower ceiling guys Archibald and Grenier.

Taking Corrado out of the mix, he's a solid high % but not high ceiling guy anyway, there is just as much reason for concern regarding our D prospects pool. Corrado is our only "highly likely" NHL defensive prospect. Beyond the next level of guys behind Cedarholme, who is not a lock by any stretch, is Hutton, Tryamkin, Subban. They all have a chance, but also have questions circling them.

I project a trade of forward prospects in some level of package for a D man as an almost mathematical certainty.

Diff angle; I was pleasantly encouraged by Gaunce's representation here! Yes its our guy, but Stan viewed him as Erie's best player down the stretch last year. McDavid, Fox and others were on that team!

We sure got a log jam in the middle, hope some of these centres can go on the wing, pending they make the required skill level to make the team

It is never a bad thing to have a lot of center depth in your prospect pool. We don't have much center depth on our roster so this may prove to pay off in the future.

On top of that I believe some of them can play wing as well.

Yea I would definitely think Burrows and Higgins would switch spots for opening night. I expect many players will be used all throughout the lineup, but Burrows should be projected as a top 6 forward.

It is never a bad thing to have a lot of center depth in your prospect pool. We don't have much center depth on our roster so this may prove to pay off in the future.

On top of that I believe some of them can play wing as well.

If we can just get that elusive franchise center, we'd have outstanding center depth.

Shinkaruk - McCann - Virtanen

Gaunce - Horvat - Kassian

Bonino - Vey - Jensen

Matthias - Cassels - Grenier

Edit: Forgot McCann.

If we can just get that elusive franchise center, we'd have outstanding center depth.

Shinkaruk - _____ - Virtanen

Gaunce - Horvat - Kassian

Bonino - Vey - Jensen

Matthias - Cassels - Grenier

McCann?

"Elite Level Skill" "should have put up 90 -105 points"

I won't be surprised if McCann ends up being a 1C.

If he puts up close to 100 points this year and makes the WJC he will be where most scouts though he would be last year.

Krejci, Giroux, and Toews are comparisons I have heard.

Kyle Dubas' evaluation, though likely a little bit biased, increased my hopes for Jared. I think we'll see an increase in production this year for him, given the right teammates and the right coach. Would love to see him break that 90-105 barrier that we hoped to see from him last year.

Archived