The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think Nick Bonino is a 2nd line Center?

Junkyard Dog

Do you think Nick Bonino is a 2nd line Center?  

488 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Nick Bonino had any doubts about how the Vancouver Canucks really felt about him, they should have ended as soon as he saw the behind-the-scenes footage the team released of management discussing the trade that brought him to Vancouver in exchange for Selke Trophy-winning center Ryan Kesler.

Bonino, who was acquired from the Anaheim Ducks along with defenseman Luca Sbisa and the 24th pick in the 2014 NHL Draft that Vancouver used to select Jared McCann, didn't go looking for the clip. He couldn't avoid it either.

"My grandpa is 91 and he's on the Internet all the time and he's my biggest fan, so he called me up and told me about it right away," Bonino said.

In the video, general manager Jim Benning talks about Bonino potentially scoring 20 goals for the Canucks, making other players better with his passing, and mentions that new coach Willie Desjardins wants and really likes him.

Factor in the times this summer Benning pointed out Bonino outscored Kesler last year, getting 49 points for Anaheim compared to Kesler's 43 for Vancouver, and it's clear Bonino will play a pivotal role this season as the second-line center on a team that's struggled to score.

"It looked like he took the next step in his career," Benning said. "We hope he cancontinue on where he left off last year."

Critics of the pre-draft trade have pointed out that might not be easy for Bonino in Vancouver, at least not in terms of pure point production.

The 26-year-old center got 20 of his 49 points as part of a four-forward group on a loaded Anaheim power play that includedRyan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. As a left shot, Bonino is less likely to get the same first-unit opportunity with Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin in Vancouver, and there are signs he will instead be used to anchor the second power play.

But there is little doubt Bonino will get a better look as the second-line center at even strength. It's an opportunity Bonino craves, even as others wonder if he's suited for it based on his usage and performance 5-on-5 with the Ducks last season.

"It's definitely a goal of mine to be a top-six forward in the League, and it's different to be called a second-line center now," Bonino said. "It comes with responsibility. You have to make good plays, be responsible, and you have to produce."

The Ducks succeeded despite uninspiring possession numbers, so assessing Bonino's ability to produce based solely on statistics from last season is complicated. He played on many lines, and with many players, including a fourth-line role in the Stanley Cup Playoffs that left many questioning Vancouver's projection of a second-line center.

"I don't know technically what line I played on," Bonino said. "I was all over."

Bonino's 5-on-5 possession numbers aren't overwhelmingly positive, including a minus-0.5 Corsi Relative rate that indicates the Ducks controlled play better when he wasn't on the ice. But those possession metrics improved significantly from the season before, and six of his eight most frequent linemates posted a higher goals-for percentage when playing with Bonino than they did without him.

The Canucks believe Bonino can continue to progress playing between Alexandre Burrows, who has traditionally been a strong possession player even without the Sedin twins, and either Zack Kassian or Chris Higgins.

"He's a skilled player," Benning said of Bonino. "I think he can play 5-on-5 and not hurt you, and from the top of the circles down he's got good hands and he's skilled."

Bonino also seems aware many are pointing to a 13.8 shooting percentage that was almost four points above the NHL average as unsustainable and another reason to expect his goals to drop from a career-high 22. But Bonino sees himself as a pass-first center (something Kesler definitely was not) and views his shooting percentage as a result of getting into advantageous positions.

"For me, if you have a high shooting percentage, you are getting to the good areas, and if that's something that I can do and keep shooting the puck then I would like to do it," Bonino said, "But I have always been a pass-first guy."

Desjardins watched Anaheim play the Dallas Stars in the Western Conference First Round while he was coaching the Stars' American Hockey League affiliate to a Calder Cup title, and liked what he saw out of Bonino.

"He's a smart player, I like that about him, and he's a skill player, I like that as well," said Desjardins, who has talked to Bonino twice this summer over the phone. "He's excited at more opportunity 5-on-5, to be counted on a little bit more and in key roles. Does his point total go up or down depending on PP time? I don't know. But I know he is a player with abilities that can help our team, and we are counting on him to come in here and make us a better team."

NHL's 30 in 30 had an interesting write up on him.^^^ What do you guys think?

Is Nick Bonino a 2nd line Center?

He'd be an upgrade on Brad Richards IMO, so he can be a 2C on a contender, just depends on the quality of his wingers.

I read this at first and thought you're nuts, but you may be right. Bonino certainly would have been the 2C on Chicago last season!

I think the Canucks will have 2 players this season that are major surprises in a positive way - Bonino and Vey. Bonino is going to get plenty of icetime in all situtions and he'll play with the better forwards. Vrbata may start with the Sedins, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 2nd line with Bonino to create some balance in the top 6. Bonino won't replace everything Kesler did, but he'll be a solid 50-60 point 2C.

I read this at first and thought you're nuts, but you may be right. Bonino certainly would have been the 2C on Chicago last season!

I think the Canucks will have 2 players this season that are major surprises in a positive way - Bonino and Vey. Bonino is going to get plenty of icetime in all situtions and he'll play with the better forwards. Vrbata may start with the Sedins, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 2nd line with Bonino to create some balance in the top 6. Bonino won't replace everything Kesler did, but he'll be a solid 50-60 point 2C.

I agree that a Vrbata-Bonino pairing will likely happen, but 50-60 pts doesn't happen unless he gets top power play ice time, and I think Vrbata gets that slot when everyone's healthy.

It's a long season and I expect Bonino to be on pretty much all the lines during it.

We need to stop thinking about what line a player is on and remember that the Benning & Desjardins way forward is not necessarily worrying about what line a player is on but rather having four balanced lines that the coach can just roll.

NHL's 30 in 30 had an interesting write up on him.^^^ What do you guys think?

Is Nick Bonino a 2nd line Center?

2nd/3rd, to me it doesn't really matter. It's about production, and who does he find chemistry with.

The only way to answer your question is how a few posters before me already have, and it's that he can be. I believe the answer is yes if he continues to improve on last year. Whether or not he and his wingers are going to find immediate chemistry is something else. The second line is likely going to be the youngest one this year if he centers Kassian.

As an aside, if Bonino pans out as a 60-70* point 2nd line center, and McCan becomes a top 6 forward or better in the coming years, then on paper I really like the trade Benning pulled off, even when considering Kesler gave him only one option. Whatever Sbisa brings is a bonus, although I'm expecting less defensive quality out of him as I am offensive input from Boner.

* not suggesting he gets 70 this season, but maybe he does in a year or 2 as he continues to learn the game

I think there's too much pressure placed on Nick given the circumstances in which he's joined the team. He played on the Ducks' 2nd* line although in reality he's shifted around in their lineup often, and of course given that he's the NHL-ready forward coming back to "replace" Kesler the fan base will look on him more critically to see if the team made the right move. However, what's important to me isn't whether he individually produces 2nd liner numbers, but rather how well he can gel with Burr/ Higgins and Kassian to form a solid unit. If they can do so and each get 35-40 points, I think their impact could be even greater than what Kes did individually last season with Burr/ Booth/ Higgins/ Kassian in his helicopter-style line. One cohesive line made up of three lesser scorers will probably outweigh the impact that one scorer could have if he doesn't use his talented line-mates well and I think Bones has the potential with his passing to create at least a solid 'tweener unit that can create offense.

I mean, just look at that sauce, and Burr/ Kassian/ Higgins can finish that any day

100% yes. Perfect example of a 2nd line centre. Pure offensive/power play guy but without the elite skill or "well rounded" game to be considered a 1st liner.

40th in league scoring for centres, ahead of guys like Zajac, Ribeiro, Cammalleri, Brassard, Hodgson, Kesler, Plekanec, Jokinen, Mike Richards, J Staal, Lecavalier, Roy, and Gagner.

Is he an elite 2nd line centre? No. But I have no problem with him in that role. In fact, I would consider him a "good" second line player.

There is a very skewed perception of how much players are supposed to produce.

1st liners - 70+ points

2nd liners - 50+ points

3rd liners - 30+ points

4th liners - fight and hit

But this is not the case at all.

- Only 17 forwards in the league had 70+ points

- The forward 90th in NHL scoring (which would indicate a bottom end 1st liner) had 48 points

- The forward 180th in scoring (which would indicate a bottom end 2nd liner) had 32 points

So in actuality...

Star Player - 70+ points

1st liner - 50+ points

2nd liner - 35-50 points
3rd liner - 15-35 points
4th liner - 0-20 points

etc.

If our first liners are scoring over 70, 2nd liners over 40, 3rd liners over 20, and we have a fourth liner chip in with 10 goals we are in good shape.

So if, by average stats, the best 3rd line player in the league had 32 points, how does Bonino not qualify as a 2nd liner with 50 points? He is likely our anchor on the 2nd line and will be the top offensive contributor outside of the Twins and Vrbata.

2nd/3rd, to me it doesn't really matter. It's about production, and who does he find chemistry with.

The only way to answer your question is how a few posters before me already have, and it's that he can be. I believe the answer is yes if he continues to improve on last year. Whether or not he and his wingers are going to find immediate chemistry is something else. The second line is likely going to be the youngest one this year if he centers Kassian.

As an aside, if Bonino pans out as a 60-70* point 2nd line center, and McCan becomes a top 6 forward or better in the coming years, then on paper I really like the trade Benning pulled off, even when considering Kesler gave him only one option. Whatever Sbisa brings is a bonus, although I'm expecting less defensive quality out of him as I am offensive input from Boner.

* not suggesting he gets 70 this season, but maybe he does in a year or 2 as he continues to learn the game

I concur. Establishing tangible chemistry amongst the roster is far more important at this point. Since 2011, the chemistry has been lacking big time.

Archived