The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Gaunce, Horvat, Vey, Shinkaruk make the team...

bluesman60

If a prospect is good enough at training camp, we will make room for them....so the GM says.

So the question is if Gaunce makes the team, does he make it as a winger and who would have to be moved to make room for him?

If Horvat makes it as a centre, I would assume that it would be on the 3rd line with Mathais moving to wing....at whose expense?

Shinkaruk is a longshot after missing so much of last year but if he does make it, it would probably be as a 2nd line winger? Does Vey also make it as a winger on the 2nd line?

The problem I see is that if more than two of these guys make the team, we lose a lot of depth because the vets wouldn't clear waivers and would have to be traded. Benning also would not be dealing from a position of strength because GM's would know that they could just pluck a player on waivers.

To me, it is most important that we have a strong team in Utica to draw on when someone goes down so I would say Horvat or Vey will make the cut but everyone else will go back to their teams or to Utica.

Comments...

Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Fox can be called up anytime during the season. Based on last season we're projected to have 1 injured player per game for the entire season, so they'll get plenty of games.

The only guy that would cause a move is Horvat.

theres no chance that all these players out play the group ahead of them. Vey will be on the team... his role still yet to be determined, but hes one of my top interests heading into camp. Gaunce and SHink have AHL elidgability... unfortunately for them, its an easy choice to send them for better pro minutes at their point of development, but for Horvat the choice is far more complicated.

Will Bo actually benefit from going back to play vs Juniors? Or even in very limited action, would he benefit more from being around NHLers, practicing and earning his keep? Thats something the coaching and development staff are going to have to find a pulse with in short order.... Ryan Johansen was scratched and played under the 10 minute mark for much of his first season... Just because a top 6 prospect doesnt get top 6 ice time right off the bat, doesnt mean hell be ruined.

Shinkaruk needs to conpensate that one year he missed last season.

For Horvat it's either make it to the team or rip it up in the OHL.

Mind you Vey isn't a SURE lock on the roster. But he is the leading candidate ever since we acquired him. As well as Jensen.

I think it would be better for Gaunce to get a year of experience in the AHL to further improve on small things such as grit/speed.

Very unlikely all 4 will make it. Maybe 1-2. This is the path of destruction when trying to develop our prospects. Look how far the Oilers have gone doing this kind of stupid mentality that all top 5 picks are automatically NHL READY.

They won't all, but if they did I'd do:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Shinkaruk-Bonino-Kassian

Burrows-Horvat-Hansen

Matthias-Gaunce-Vey

Dorsett, Sestito

Higgins dealt

trade Higgins over Hansen? Another NTC being asked to waive?

Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Fox can be called up anytime during the season. Based on last season we're projected to have 1 injured player per game for the entire season, so they'll get plenty of games.

The only guy that would cause a move is Horvat.

I believe the Canucks had 270 man games lost to injuries last season...that would equate to 3.3 roster players sidelined per game on average. That means nearly 17% of the roster, on average, was made up by a filler. So, if the same trend continues, I'm sure we'll see a lot of the prospects in and out of the lineup throughout this coming season.

trade Higgins over Hansen? Another NTC being asked to waive?

The only reason was because Higgins is a LW and Hansen is a RW. Burrows would probably be better on his own side and I'd want Horvat and Gaunce in the middle (Matthias would have to be a LW and Vey a RW).

And I think Higgins' contract forces him to give a list if one is asked for, he's just not fair game to everyone.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Shinkaruk-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Horvat-Burrows

Matthias-Gaunce-Vey

Dorsett, Sestito

Don't want to do that though.

Would rather trade for E.Kane + C.Franson

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Kane-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Vey-Burrows

Matthias-Richardsson-Hansen

Sestito-Dorsett

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Franson

Sbisa-Bieksa

Stanton-Corrado

Miller

Lack

?

Could trade Jensen + Gaunce + Markstrom + Picks for E.Kane + C.Franson

If a prospect is good enough at training camp, we will make room for them....so the GM says.

So the question is if Gaunce makes the team, does he make it as a winger and who would have to be moved to make room for him?

If Horvat makes it as a centre, I would assume that it would be on the 3rd line with Mathais moving to wing....at whose expense?

Shinkaruk is a longshot after missing so much of last year but if he does make it, it would probably be as a 2nd line winger? Does Vey also make it as a winger on the 2nd line?

The problem I see is that if more than two of these guys make the team, we lose a lot of depth because the vets wouldn't clear waivers and would have to be traded. Benning also would not be dealing from a position of strength because GM's would know that they could just pluck a player on waivers.

To me, it is most important that we have a strong team in Utica to draw on when someone goes down so I would say Horvat or Vey will make the cut but everyone else will go back to their teams or to Utica.

Comments...

If Gaunce, Vey, Shinkaruk and Horvat make the team this year, then pigs can fly, ISIS will become pacifists and there will be peace on earth forever.

They won't all, but if they did I'd do:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Shinkaruk-Bonino-Kassian

Burrows-Horvat-Hansen

Matthias-Gaunce-Vey

Dorsett, Sestito

Higgins dealt

I think you should re-think what you'd do, chum. I see issues with what you wrote. :)

I suspect that Shinkaruk (while it will be nice to see him with the Canucks when he makes it) won't be here next season on a regular basis. He likely still needs a bit of development (as noted by others because of his injury last season) and that can likely be better achieved in the AHL. I believe the same applies to Gaunce.

Vey has the best shot at making the Canucks. This being said, having Vey on the 4th line is a waste of his ability and will likely hinder his progress. He'd probably perform better on at least the 3rd line, with perhaps even som spot duty on the second.

Having Matthias on the 4th line is pretty much saying to him that he may as well walk at the end of the season (he is a UFA after the season is over). He wasn't thrilled at being on the 4th line in Florida, and I suspect that he would be equally unhappy being on the 4th line here. If you're going to trade a guy to make room on the roster then I think he'd be your guy.

Where's Jensen? I think he has a better shot at making the team than Shinkaruk, Horvat or Gaunce.

Not sure that Higgins could/should/would be dealt. He's probably got lesser value at the start of the season than perhaps closer at the trade deadline, so that impacts on the purpose of moving him in order to make room at the start of the season.

regards,

G.

Are we assuming Jensens a lock to be on the team?

I doubt he makes it out of camp, but I'll bet he'll be first call up and will get plenty of games in over the season. It would probably benefit him anyways to get more AHL time, particularly as there should be some solid offensive help coming this year to Utica. I really want to see what he can do down there playing with Shink/Fox/Guance.

Archived