The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Gaunce, Horvat, Vey, Shinkaruk make the team...

bluesman60

I don't see all three making it or even 2 at this stage.

It's the usual Nuck fans not understanding development takes time. Nucks fans think every kid is going to be a superstar that we draft in the first round and if they don't show they are in 10 games they are a bust! lol

My view

Horvat will make the team, simply because he is in a bind, if he's on the margin he's better off in the NHL than OHL. As many have said he can't play in the AHL.

My issue is from what I saw at the rookie camp, I was very impressed with Gaunce. His speed has increased and he has man size...he and Horvat will fight for a spot and if they are close because Gaunce can go the AHL and Horvat can't I can see it being an issue where even if Gaunce is slightly more ready, Horvat stays, which I would feel for Gaunce a bit but the A won't hurt him either.

Shinkaruk, unless he plays lights out in camp will be in the AHL, simply because he needs to mature physically. Sure his speed keeps him away from hits but coming off that surgery, it can't hurt for him to get his first taste of the pro game in the AHL.

Vey has been a ppg player in the AHL and has played 4 seasons there. He is more pro ready than any of our young guns. There is no way he goes down unless he just can't compete, which by the sounds of it, he can....

Jensen will be given every oppty to make the team but the focus will be on his defensive play and if he has learned to be a bit more responsible. If not AHL for another year to develop that skill and take a leadership role offensively down there. He is the first call up if so.

I think Utica will be very exciting this year with a top line of Shinkaruk Gaunce and Jensen if that happens!

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Richardson Matthias

Dorsett Vey Hansen

Minors

Shinkaruk Gaunce Jensen

Fox Jeffrey Grenier

Defazio Freisen Kenins

Mallet Lain Zalewski

Going to be fun to watch them !

I suspect that Shinkaruk (while it will be nice to see him with the Canucks when he makes it) won't be here next season on a regular basis. He likely still needs a bit of development (as noted by others because of his injury last season) and that can likely be better achieved in the AHL. I believe the same applies to Gaunce.

Vey has the best shot at making the Canucks. This being said, having Vey on the 4th line is a waste of his ability and will likely hinder his progress. He'd probably perform better on at least the 3rd line, with perhaps even som spot duty on the second.

Having Matthias on the 4th line is pretty much saying to him that he may as well walk at the end of the season (he is a UFA after the season is over). He wasn't thrilled at being on the 4th line in Florida, and I suspect that he would be equally unhappy being on the 4th line here. If you're going to trade a guy to make room on the roster then I think he'd be your guy.

Where's Jensen? I think he has a better shot at making the team than Shinkaruk, Horvat or Gaunce.

Not sure that Higgins could/should/would be dealt. He's probably got lesser value at the start of the season than perhaps closer at the trade deadline, so that impacts on the purpose of moving him in order to make room at the start of the season.

I too doubt Shinkaruk and Gaunce making it out of camp, I was just giving what I'd do with the lineup if like the OP said, Shinkaruk made it out of camp.

That's true, but I'd say Vey's behind Vrbata & Kassian on the RW depth chart and the Burrows/Horvat/Hansen line would be ideal for shutting down top lines. I didn't put him in the middle because I'd rather have Horvat and Gaunce there (again, I doubt either will make it, but if they did). A 4th line of Matthias/Gaunce/Vey would get a lot of ice time, more than most 4th lines if it's worth anything.

I didn't include Jensen because the OP didn't mention him. I agree he'd make it before the other guys (except maybe Horvat).

I just dealt Higgins because I'd rather have a younger Matthias on the 4th line and Burrows has apparently refused to waive his NTC (with Higgins he has to provide something). He'd be too good to be in the pressbox.

In all likelihood the 12 forwards will be the Sedins, Vrbata, Kassian, Bonino, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Vey, Matthias, Richardson, and Dorsett.

If Gaunce, Horvat, Vey and Shinkaruk make the team, then the Canucks have a sudden embarrassment of riches at the forward position that could be used for some serious, fundamental pieces of a Stanley Cup winning team.

If we go with this hybrid CBS Sports/ Hockey's Future's rankings, there are definite pieces that could be moved in each case as per incoming players.

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - VRBATA

BURROWS - BONINO - KASSIAN

HIGGINS - MATTHIAS - HANSEN

SESTITO - RICHARDSON - DORSETT

VIRTANEN - HORVAT - JENSEN

SHINKARUK - GAUNCE - GRENIER

WELSH - VEY - _________

ARCHIBALD - McCANN - ___________

HAMHUIS - BIEKSA

EDLER - SBISA

STANTON - TANEV

CORRADO - BLAIN

TRYAMKIN - TOMMERNES

MILLER

LACK

MARKSTROM

It's open season for everyone as anyone can make it; prove it.

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - VRBATA

VIRTANEN - BONINO - KASSIAN

BURROWS - MATTHIAS - JENSEN

HIGGINS - RICHARDSON - DORSETT

SESTITO - HORVAT - HANSEN

SHINKARUK - GAUNCE - GRENIER

WELSH - VEY - _________

ARCHIBALD - McCANN - ___________

HAMHUIS - BIEKSA

EDLER - SBISA

STANTON - TANEV

CORRADO - BLAIN

TRYAMKIN - TOMMERNES

MILLER

LACK

MARKSTROM

I think people are forgetting something. Players from the CHL are trained better, and transition better to the pro's than they've ever been before.

I'm not saying I'm looking for a bunch of the rookies to make the team. But simply saying at best 2 will make it is too negative as well.

How about let's just see what happens. If they are ready, they are ready. Last year Shinkaruk and Horvat were among the final cuts.

And they were just drafted. Fox is an overager, and could surprise.

As much as I like guys like Higgins and Hansen. A rookie could out perform both of them if they are consistent and get points.

Like Connery says in The Untouchables. "Don't wait for it to happen, don't want it to happen. Just watch was does happen."

Given that Gaunce could be called up at any point from Utica IMO it's FAR more likely Horvat makes the team than he does. He'd have to REALLY surprise to outright make the club IMO. Gaunce strikes me as a very nice insurance policy to keep in Utica for impending injuries.

Shinkaruk is most likely going to need at least part of the season (if not longer) in Utica getting some play time and fitness up to snuff. I love the kid but I'd be shocked if he made the Canucks out of the gate.

The two most likely prospects to make it (if we're not counting Vey, which I don't think most are) would be Jensen and Horvat IMO. We'll see how ready they are in a few weeks...

I too doubt Shinkaruk and Gaunce making it out of camp, I was just giving what I'd do with the lineup if like the OP said, Shinkaruk made it out of camp.

That's true, but I'd say Vey's behind Vrbata & Kassian on the RW depth chart and the Burrows/Horvat/Hansen line would be ideal for shutting down top lines. I didn't put him in the middle because I'd rather have Horvat and Gaunce there (again, I doubt either will make it, but if they did). A 4th line of Matthias/Gaunce/Vey would get a lot of ice time, more than most 4th lines if it's worth anything.

I didn't include Jensen because the OP didn't mention him. I agree he'd make it before the other guys (except maybe Horvat).

I just dealt Higgins because I'd rather have a younger Matthias on the 4th line and Burrows has apparently refused to waive his NTC (with Higgins he has to provide something). He'd be too good to be in the pressbox.

In all likelihood the 12 forwards will be the Sedins, Vrbata, Kassian, Bonino, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Vey, Matthias, Richardson, and Dorsett.

I get where you're coming from, and I agree with your assessment of who will likely be the forward group at the start of the season.

regards,

G.

I believe the Canucks had 270 man games lost to injuries last season...that would equate to 3.3 roster players sidelined per game on average. That means nearly 17% of the roster, on average, was made up by a filler. So, if the same trend continues, I'm sure we'll see a lot of the prospects in and out of the lineup throughout this coming season.

Yep. 270 games lost was fourth worst in the league. I really hope that improves this year. It would be hard to get worse.

If the kids make the team, we have to make deals right away and I don't think they will be betting on the consistency to hold up from 19 and 20 year olds.

With that in mind I can see us keeping a older squad until injuries hit, guys tear up the AHL and we have a decent deal in place.

No sense in jumping the gun if a guy has a good camp. Regular season is a whole nother ball game.

We'll maximize our depth more by having Gaunce and Shinkaruk in Utica since they can be called up for injuries at any time. That's what's best for them right now IMO.

Horvat will only make the team if he can prove that he's as good as guys like Matthias and Vey at third line center. Otherwise it's another season of junior for him.

Does Horvat get a few regular season games to prove his worth? Aren't we allowed 8-9 games to see what he's got? Anymore then that means we use a year of his ELC right?

Yes. If Horvat makes the team he'll get 9 games then management will evaluate his performance and decide to keep him up or send him back down.

Guest Dasein

If a prospect is good enough at training camp, we will make room for them....so the GM says.

So the question is if Gaunce makes the team, does he make it as a winger and who would have to be moved to make room for him?

If Horvat makes it as a centre, I would assume that it would be on the 3rd line with Mathais moving to wing....at whose expense?

Shinkaruk is a longshot after missing so much of last year but if he does make it, it would probably be as a 2nd line winger? Does Vey also make it as a winger on the 2nd line?

The problem I see is that if more than two of these guys make the team, we lose a lot of depth because the vets wouldn't clear waivers and would have to be traded. Benning also would not be dealing from a position of strength because GM's would know that they could just pluck a player on waivers.

To me, it is most important that we have a strong team in Utica to draw on when someone goes down so I would say Horvat or Vey will make the cut but everyone else will go back to their teams or to Utica.

Comments...

They won't, one, maybe 2 will

/thread

That moment when Brick Tamland shuts you down for lacking common sense :lol:

Vey is a lock.

Hunter is also a lock - for Utica.

Horvat or Gaunce might make it, but not both.

Most likely, only Vey will and we won't have to move a roster player.

Archived