The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Benning's remake of Canucks an uncluttered picture

Ossi Vaananen

Man imagine if Markstrom gets claimed off waivers and Matthias doesn't resign. All the Canucks will have for Luongo is 800K lost in cap...then Steven Anthony becomes the next Lidstrom.

I cant believe Gillis tossed in Steven Anthony.....what a fool. Can you say Neely 2.0

Markstrom will be an interesting camp story. I hope he can be part of a package that involves a guy like Myers or Kane but if JB has to I would prefer we carry 3 goalies until we get value back even if its just a 2nd or 3rd rd pick.

On the other side, he was handed a top 10 pick to start the job, and had Hodgson fall into his lap.

He then managed to allow their relationship with Hodgson to deteriorate so much that he demanded a trade.

And Nonis would have drafted Kyle Beach.

Point was though that while Gillis did inherit some pieces, he also brought in quite a few. Since it's obviously a team game and he did get his team to the finals in three seasons, you have to give him some credit. It's not like every GM in the league could have done that.

But it's a Benning thread. Benning's in an entirely different scenario. Rebuild. So i'm not expecting miracles. We're going to require some patience. I just hope that we build this thing a bit better, so we don't get our asses handed to us in the finals next time.

I think a lot of people are under estimating Matthias. I fully expect him to come into camp with something to prove. Injuries and slump are bound to happen and he will be giving the opportunity to show was he can do.

Similar to last year with Santo. Very few people had him making the roster and what do you know half way through the year he was our second line center (Kesler was playing wing with the twins) and one of our most consistent forwards.

I can see Matthias slotting into 3c and I'd like to see him and kassian get some more time together. The funny thing about that trade is. If gillis would have got the same return in the summer of 2012 people would have been bragging about how good the return was.

Matthias is going to have to step up as our primary checking center, simple as that. I like him in that role. If he grows into it and excels at it, then that's a big positive. Likely he'll split duties with Richardson, but that's more depth in that role.

Henrik

Kesler

Richardson

Santo

Henrik

Bonino

Matthias

Richardson

It's more like an old-school skilled top-6, grinding bottom-6 deployment by the looks of it.

I would disagree,

I was given the impression that either of those guys you mentioned would have to outplay a vet, to land a spot. He also said he has no problem parking someone in the minors.

I disagree with that philosophy for the most part.

Sometimes the best route of development is to "give" a prospect a spot, even if he didn't outplay a vet to get it. On the job training, for some, is the best route to fulfilling their potential.

I know a few people who have not been given positions based on short term testing, who would have proved their worth over a longer sample period. (Not in Hockey, other businesses) had they been given the opportunity. Because they did just that when hired elsewhere.

It's kind of a catch 22: You're not getting this job because you have no experience, and you're not doing it better than the other guy with years of experience over a 3 week period."

Of course the guy with more experience is going to be better!

Not against developing guys in the minors, just that sometimes that might not be the best way to develop them.

I agree with this

Whether a big picture of himself was a testament to his arrogance, I don't know.

But there's no denying that Gillis was an arrogant human being. Everyone in the media who had to deal with him knew that. Even his actions proved it.

Not that I agree with you, but so what if he was? Does it really matter if a GM is arrogant?

If a GM can build a competitive team, that's what matters most. MG did it, and I just hope Benning can as well.

What a waste of time picking on the D?

3rd last in goals for and you think the loss of Mitchell, Ehrhoff and Salo is the reason for our demise?

Without wasting time regarding the specifics regarding each of these players being allowed to walk perhaps the best GM we can hope for is one that places the Sedins back into their prime and maybe he can drop in Linden and Bure at 24 also.

Gillis next to Pat Quinn got our team as close to the Cup as we've been. His fall from grace had more to do with an inability to convince management he was the guy worth doing a rebuild. He lost the fans and ownership and a business decision was made. You cant take away the fact that the best Canuck team of all time was on his watch and ultimately his bad moves and deflections made for an easy scapegoat when the fall went into hyperdrive.

As for JB....I'm a fan. I like his personality traits. He's humble and candid and comes from a championship program. He seems to know exactly what he wants and seems likely that he can screw up own it and make his next move count. Having Linden around just makes it that much more exciting. Whether he's gonna be better than MG is really guesswork.

Look.

Gillis was not perfect. But very, very good in putting together a lot of complimentary pieces up to our run in 2010/2011. Signing Malhotra, signing Hamhuis, re-signing UFA's Salo, the Twins (who in recent memory has signed back to back league scoring champs and MVP candidates when they were UFA), signing Torres. I suppose I should credit that he, cough, also re-signed Lou just prior to our finals year. Prior to our run, he sort of spent like a drunken soldier. But we might have been even better in 2009/10 with Sundin, Demitra and Mitchell than our finals run. The Hawks were just that frackin good! Gillis did a good job!

But he lost the plot. People love Kassian, but we waited 3 years for him to be productive. We went seriously backwards even though he might be a good asset now. He let Torres walk, then traded good assets for Booth at 3 times the price he could have paid (a better) Torres. We did not replace Malhotra. Between losing Malhotra and Torres, we lost much of our physical match capability. We did not cash in Schneider when he had highest value. It is (widely) rumoured he could been converted into Jeff Carter from Columbus. Then of course Carter killed us in the play off's. Ehrrhof was never replaced. In a 2 year stretch starting summer 2011 he made almost no productive or helpful roster decision.

He started to get back on track his last year here. But the damage was done.

I'm not seeing Matthias as a center at all on our roster. I dont think he see's the ice that well and his face offs are less than average as well.

There's a reason Benning wanted to move Burrows. Im pretty sure he see's Shawns best spot as a 3L. Something has gotta give.....too many veteran wingers at the tweener spots. For now depth is nice as surely someone will be hurt before long.

If Matthias finds a suitable role there is little doubt in my mind he will resign. My bet is WD and JB find that role.

Our wing depth based on natural position.

RW: Vrbata, Kassian, Hansen, Dorsett OOP, Burrows, Jensen, Vey, Richardson

LW: Danny, Burrows, Jensen, Higgins, Sestito, Shinkaruk OOP, Mathias, Gaunce, Horvat

Center: Hank, Bonino, Vey, Richardson, Mathias, Horvat, Gaunce.

Really we do need Burrows! That wing depth does not look so imposing we can just give him away.

I suppose, like Garrison we could have even got a modest return and be ahead. Because then you have cap space. Garrison in reality returned Vey and one of Miller or Vrbata to us.

Look.

Gillis was not perfect. But very, very good in putting together a lot of complimentary pieces up to our run in 2010/2011. Signing Malhotra, signing Hamhuis, re-signing UFA's Salo, the Twins (who in recent memory has signed back to back league scoring champs and MVP candidates when they were UFA), signing Torres. I suppose I should credit that he, cough, also re-signed Lou just prior to our finals year. Prior to our run, he sort of spent like a drunken soldier. But we might have been even better in 2009/10 with Sundin, Demitra and Mitchell than our finals run. The Hawks were just that frackin good! Gillis did a good job!

But he lost the plot. People love Kassian, but we waited 3 years for him to be productive. We went seriously backwards even though he might be a good asset now. He let Torres walk, then traded good assets for Booth at 3 times the price he could have paid (a better) Torres. We did not replace Malhotra. Between losing Malhotra and Torres, we lost much of our physical match capability. We did not cash in Schneider when he had highest value. It is (widely) rumoured he could been converted into Jeff Carter from Columbus. Then of course Carter killed us in the play off's. Ehrrhof was never replaced. In a 2 year stretch starting summer 2011 he made almost no productive or helpful roster decision.

He started to get back on track his last year here. But the damage was done.

1) Did he actually? I honestly don't know. It's just that you so often hear GMs get crapped on for "letting guys go" via Free Agency as if there are no other reasons why they'd be signing elsewhere.

2) Marco Sturm was pretty horrible when we traded him. I wouldn't call him a "good asset"...

(PS: That is one awesome picture of Benning, haha.)

Because Gillis might be an extreme introvert. By his comments throughout the years regarding various matters, he sounded extremely defensive.

I think you're right on that call.

Introverts who don't enjoy the spotlight are often referred to as arrogant and or aloof,

Being one myself I understand,

Durring my touring days, I was considered quite the @$$Hole

Gillis was uncomfortable and had troubles expressing himself/interacting with the media.

Gilman was at ease with the media as he was a proficient and succinct public speaker.

Gillis attempted to get his spin / message out and yet appeared to be very uncomfortable answering for his actions as his 'process' developed.

My suspicion is that Gillis was amicable to Tortorella's hire in part because of Tootsie's abrasive style with the media.

Gillis is not an introvert but seemed incapable of effectively speaking with ease or effectiveness,coming off as brusque and even rude at times.

A good description of introvert/extrovert is in the thinking process.

Intoverts internalize their thoughts; requiring 'quiet time' to put things together. Introverts may appear thoughtful, reserved, aloof.

Extroverts externalize their thoughts; requiring a 'sounding board' to put things together. Extoverts may appear verbose, friendly, outgoing.

Of course people can respond in different ways according to the level of thought required in a given situation.

Letting Torres go was retarded. Not as bad as letting Ehrhoff go or the Luongo contract or the Ballard trade, or the Luongo situation but still pretty bad.

Let's look at it in hindsight.

Letting Torres go was a good decision. Not worth the money for the actually amount of games he's played since.

Letting ehrhoff go was also a great decision. He made 20 million in 3 years only to get bought out definately not worth the money.

Not finding a replacement for ehrhoff or Torres was a problem. He did try and hit some home runs with gragnani, Ballard and Booth all players with similar assets that for various reasons didn't work out.

Teams have to let players go when their cost exceeds there value. It what happens in a cap world. The biggest challenge is to find an undervalued, cheaper alternative that can replace the loss of the other players.

Bonino is that type of player. He's worth more than his cost. Burrows for the longest time was that type of player. Sedins when they were at the 6.2 cap hit were those type of players. Kane and toews were before their new contact. The teams that win are the teams that get more value out of their players than they are paying them.

Read up on the details of Ehrhoff's departure,

He was not "let go"

He priced himself out of the market.

Gillis gambled on retaining him for $4 million per year less than market value and chose to sign Bieksa,instead.

He allowed Ehrhoff to walk and berated him for not staying.

Legends of Class Inc..

Gillis gambled on retaining him for $4 million per year less than market value and chose to sign Bieksa,instead.

He allowed Ehrhoff to walk and berated him for not staying.

Legends of Class Inc..

Gillis offered him the same contract at bieska. 4.6 per year. Ehrhoff wanted to see what the free market would get him and long term deal. He also admittedly said he wanted to play for a team that was close to winning a cup and chose buffalo. The contract he got offered on the free market got bought out less than three years later. Looking back on this through hindsight. Letting ehrhoff go was a very easy decision.

Gillis offered him the same contract at bieska. 4.6 per year.

Letting ehrhoff go was a very easy decision.

2010-11

Ehrhoff : 14g 36a 50pts

Bieksa:: 6g 16a 22 pts

In 2010-11 Ehrhoff was the sixth best scoring d man in the NHL,ahead of notables such as Weber.Letang,Keith,Karlsson,Seabrook,Chara,Doughty,Subban,etc..

Ehrhoff-#6 in the NHL

Bieksa-# 76 in the NHL

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20102011&gameType=2&team=&position=D&country=&status=&viewName=summary#

Archived