The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the sell out streak end this year?

homersexual

The Canucks have claimed a sell out at every home game since 2002, the longest streak in the NHL. Even if there were lots of empty seats last year, I guess the tickets were already sold and they just didn't bother to show up.

This year, they lost a lot of season ticket holders. I think they cap season tickets at 17,000. They are sitting at 16,000 season tickets and packages sold. That means they need to sell almost 3000 walk up, or single games for a sell out.

I guess a lot of the fans are going to have the wait and see approach. And what happened to the supposedly long wait list for season tickets?

We should differentiate the sell out streak from the attendance streak. I couldn't care less about either streak, other than I may be able to get a cheaper ticket from the scumbags that sell tickets outside the ROG if half the seats are empty.

The sellout streak is based on sold tickets, not butts in seats.

The attendance streak is actual butts in seats...which is dead as Ink.

giphy.gif

Trying to find out, saw this from late last year:

The streak stretches back more than a decade, to Nov. 14, 2002, when the Vancouver Canucks defeated the Los Angeles Kings 3-2 on a Thursday evening. The arena was full, a sellout, as it would be every single game thereafter, a run now at nearly 470 games, the longest in hockey and the second-longest in North American pro sports.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/ebner-for-first-time-in-over-a-decade-canucks-face-possibility-of-empty-seats/article17630666/

People showing up doesn't matter, if those seats were paid for and no one comes, it's still a sellout

I know people don't understand the different between a sellout and full attendance.

I have a coworker that was all mad, cause like 6 years ago, he had a last minute emergency and couldn't get to the game, and had no time to sell or even give them away.

He was all upset that he didn't end the sellout streak.

I asked if he got a refund....then you see the headlights come on...."um no they didn't refund me.."

The streak still exists. It seems to matter a LOT to aquallini. I am sure two years ago he would have told you that the streak would never end, and I bet there was no circumstance under which he could ever imagine it ending. What a difference a year makes.

My guess is, the sellout streak will fully remain this year.

No one knows for sure, but one can speculate that what happens with leftover tickets is that Aquallini, or perhaps one of his companies, buys the tickets up and then donates them to a charity of some sort. They could then claim the income (because he is buying tickets from himself). Yes he would pay taxes on it, but the charitable donation for his current company would be eligible for a tax deduction.

Why is a sellout streak so important to Aquallini? Well, he's a business man and a real estate mogul. He knows that it's all about image. To him, a sellout streak is probably a sign of a club's health. He can tell people that his hockey club has the longest sellout streak in the league, and to him that makes his club the best.

Attendance and sellout is not the same thing. Last year we saw many empty seats, but those were likely from season ticket holders who simply couldn't be bothered to go to pointless games. Need proof? Look no further than pre-season games. There's always more empty seats at pre-season games because people don't care enough to go. Well, last year, once the Canucks had basically missed the playoffs, to many people the rest of the games became "pre-season" games, pointless, worthless games. Subsequently, we saw the ticket base decline by the thousands.

Anyways, back to the point... I'd say that Aquallini will 100% keep the streak going for 1 more year. If the Canucks miss the playoffs this year, then I'd say it's all over. But he would be kicking himself if he let the streak die in the opening games, only to watch the Canucks go on to make the playoffs and have a great year (re-igniting interest and the wait list), knowing he gave up 12 years of a streak that could likely never be achieved again. if they lose the streak, they will never get it back. Just like how Henrik Sedin will never get the ironman streak back.

I'm pretty sure it ended some game last season. I remember they used to say what number game the sellout streak was, but when I attended games later in the season, all they said was "thank you for another sellout". Probably got too expensive for the Canucks to keep buying out seats, so they ended the streak quietly.

What qualifies as a sellout? Surely the criteria is not EVERY SINGLE SEAT being sold which, to me, seems like a logical definition of a sellout. Because there were plenty of open seats (especially singles that are hard to sell) right up until puck drop last year that I hard find to believe all sold eventually to legit buyers.

Archived