The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts was right.

TheRussianRocket.

Remember the end of the year presser Tortorella did? Yea, it was a gloomy situation for everyone considering how the season ended but John never put an act on. He went ino that presser as an honest man and spoke the truth. Didn't care about what he was putting on the line (his job), but he said what most fans wanted to hear from a a managerial point of view and when it was all said and done with him being fired, the last words he left us with gave hope and really, JB has just continued on from where Torts left off.

Torts: team is stale, youth needs to be infused around the veterans and work up that way.

Benning: brings in Linden Vey and Luca Sbisa. Has numerously said he'll make room on the roster for a youngster if he proves he belongs there.

Torts: Eddie played more games than he should have and isn't ready for it.

Benning: here's Miller, he's a proven starter and will help Lack until he's ready to become a starter.

Torts: some of the core/veterans have to go, they've been together for too long.

Benning: bye bye Garrison. Kesler doesn't want to play here any longer? See ya later as well. Booth? Yea, you no longer fit the needs of the team. Here's a buy out, we can't wait any longer, sayonara.

Torts: team lacks depth, why he couldn't role 4 lines on the bench during games.

Benning: here's Vrbata, Dorsett, Vey, Bonino. Oh, don't forget about the prospects that will be pushing for roster spots too. Will be no shortage of competition and players fighting for spots will want to be there giving it there all on every shift.

Torts: couldn't get to Edler.

Benning: welcome to Vancouver Desjardins. Desjardins: I ask players what parts of the game they excel at, parts that they don't. Using that as a basis, I will play certain players in certain situations where they will succeed and will not force them to do anything to far stretched outside of their limitations and comfort zone.

Thanks Torts...it's funny how things play out.

I don't agree with all the blame Torts has gotten. A lot of players simply sucked. After all the talk of how great of shape the twins were in, how Hamhuis was Olympic caliber, how Edler would "bounce back"... These guys under performed when time came to prove it.

Think Torts did really well with our younger players, Tanev and Kassian especially. Expecting big years from them.

Right or wrong, he still wouldn't use 4 lines and had a cookie cutter approach to team defense, which just doesn't work for all players...like the Sedins.

I would not be upset if he was still here as long he was going to work within Benning's vision, but I have no nostalgia for him after the crap season he was our coach for. All he did in the presser was tell the truth...which should have been fairly obvious. I am sure he did not want to stay as our coach if there wasn't going to be changes, so he had nothing to lose.

I don't agree with all the blame Torts has gotten. A lot of players simply sucked. After all the talk of how great of shape the twins were in, how Hamhuis was Olympic caliber, how Edler would "bounce back"... These guys under performed when time came to prove it.

Think Torts did really well with our younger players, Tanev and Kassian especially. Expecting big years from them.

Yeah this.

Right or wrong, he still wouldn't use 4 lines and had a cookie cutter approach to team defense, which just doesn't work for all players...like the Sedins.

I would not be upset if he was still here as long he was going to work within Benning's vision, but I have no nostalgia for him after the crap season he was our coach for. All he did in the presser was tell the truth...which should have been fairly obvious. I am sure he did not want to stay as our coach if there wasn't going to be changes, so he had nothing to lose.

Yep pretty mutch

Worst coach ever. Glad is gone what a awful season with a awful coaching style

Hope the damage was not fore ever

i believe torts ruined this team...he was right on some points but like keenan, he played some people way too much...

we know for a fact that when some players play more than their minds and bodies can handle, they break down and

make mistakes....weise said torts didn't believe in using 4th lines...we all know how useful weise was for montreal's 4th line...

the canucks played decent hockey till xmas but the whole team crumbled at once...i'll never believe that tort's over playing his players, wasn't the main cause of this team's demise...we will find out this year if torts is not the main blame...

Torts spoke the truth about the state of the team, and he took responsibility for not being able to read the situation well enough to make adjustments on the fly, but at the end of the day, his list of liabilities far outweighed his list of assets.

At the very least, Torts was willing to address the elephant in the room, something we certainly would not have received from AV or Gillis. Glad to see how JB has addressed a lot of the issues that were obvious to everyone.

i believe torts ruined this team...he was right on some points but like keenan, he played some people way too much...

we know for a fact that when some players play more than their minds and bodies can handle, they break down and

make mistakes....weise said torts didn't believe in using 4th lines...we all know how useful weise was for montreal's 4th line...

the canucks played decent hockey till xmas but the whole team crumbled at once...i'll never believe that tort's over playing his players, wasn't the main cause of this team's demise...we will find out this year if torts is not the main blame...

You want a little extra syrup to go with your serving of waffles? Or do you want to wait until the end of the season before you take on the extra syrup?

Canucks playing well until the end of December is one of the lies about the Canucks' past season. They were a .350 club vs. the top half of the league until the Calgary meltdown. After that, they couldn't even beat the dregs.

Tortorella and the Canucks were a train wreck right from day 1. Tortorella's system of zone coverage in the Canucks end and forwards collapsing and negating any opportunities for a transition game was a monumental failure from Day 1. Why the Aquilini's and Gillis could not see this from how poorly the Rangers played vs. the Bruins in the 2013 playoffs using this system is beyond me.

"Tortorella ruined the team, but let's find out if he's not the main blame" -- yah, let's do that.

Last year we started with:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler/Schroeder-Santo/Jensen

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen

Sestito/Welsh/Archibald-Dalpe/Lain-Kassian/Weise/Ferriero

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Edler

Stanton/Alberts-Tanev/Weber/Corrado

Luongo/Lack/Eriksson

This year we're starting with:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata/Jensen

Dorsett-Matthias-Hansen

Sestito/Zalewski/Archibald/O'Reilly-Richardson/Lain/Jeffrey-Kassian/Vey

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa/Stanton-Weber/Corrado/Sanguinetti

Miller/Lack/Markstrom/Eriksson

I agree that lack of depth was definitely a problem last season, but I'm not sure if that problem has been completely solved at this point. Not unless some rooks start making a big impact. I believe that's the push now though. Rebuild phase. "Change is coming."

Torts coached the wrong system with the players he had. He was coaching like he was still the head coach of the Rangers. Our roster is better for playing a run and gun type of game but he refused to do that.

He didn't use players correctly either. He set up many of our stars for failure. Playing the Sedins and Kesler 25 min a game is way too much. Playing them in every single situation isn't right either. You need to use your depth and he didn't. Not using our depth, as horrible as it was, resulted in our top players burning out in January.

The whole Eddie Lack and the Heritage classic thing is also the reason why Lu got traded. For a guy who apparently doesn't like drama Torts sure as hell created a lot of it.

I was on board when Tortorella was first hired. I thought he would be able to whip our players into shape. But holy crap was I wrong. He is way too stuck in his ways and refuses to adapt. Way too big of an ego.

I don't know why I'm saying this. Everyone knows this already and it has been discussed to death.

Discretion is the better part of valour.

Running down the value of your assets at season's end, as the high movement period of the summer approaches isn't all that "right".

Throwing your GM under the bus isn't necessarily honesty with a lack of fear of putting one's job on the line - it's passing responsibilty to the roster he had to work with - which he significantly misused imo.

GMJB has done a good job with a pretty good context to step into - an improved prospect pool, a high pick, some cap space in an increased cap context, and a number of very good contracts to veteran core players.

What GMJB has done is not a vindication of Tortorella venting and passing the buck to his players and GM.

Archived