The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GCL in Calgary

scott4117

Hey there guys!

So, I recently moved to Calgary, and since I don't want much regular TV, do not have cable at my place. I do, however love watching the games, and am wondering if any other Canucks fans living in Calgary can answer this for me.

If I got GCL in Calgary, would I be able to watch the Canucks play? or because it is one province over, would I get the Blackout issues? I don't want to pay 200 for it not to work.

I understand Canucks/Flames games would likely be blacked out, but I would still like to know the best way to watch the 'nucks this year, and with the best quality.

I know of some of the illegal methods that do not have permission to stream the games, so as a warning for all, please don't mention them, or else you could get some warning emails, which is no fun.

Anyway, if anyone knows if I can watch most Canucks games on GCL in Calgary, please let me know! or if there is other legal means, let me know as well. if anyone knows anything extra, feel free to email my user directly!

Thanks guys!

PS! I would really like it if someone could make me a sig! If anyone knows who to get ahold of, let me know!

A Canucks fan in a C of Red

you know some illegal methods to stream games yet still want to pay for it ?

wow - kudos

the illegal methods dont ever stream as well as gcl . they are iffy at best with pop ups all the time .. I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to subscribe and watch nucks games from cow town

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you; However, I would like to add to the question. I understand that there are regional blackouts, but do they include the opposing teams feed. For example, if the Canucks were playing Chicago, we wouldn't be able to get the SN feed, but would we be able to watch the Chicago feed?

GCL should work for you in Alberta. I believe the only places it would be blacked out would be in BC and the Yukon (because you would need Sportsnet to watch).

And yes, GCL is always higher quality than "other" streams. When I was in the UK, I could split screen 4 games and it would run perfectly fine.

EDIT: Sportsnet's FAQ on blackout regions, I believe the general rule of thumb is that if you can watch it on regional TV, you can't watch it on GCL (and vice versa). http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/frequently-asked-questions/

There are options that operate within the law but are not licensed with the NHL and have great quality and no pop ups that many feel are better options then GCL..... They don't want us to say there name on here because this is an NHL site.

Legality and league approval are two different things (last I checked the nhl isn't packing handcuffs) it's up to you but I think GCL sucks and blacks out almost everything.

EDIT: Sportsnet's FAQ on blackout regions, I believe the general rule of thumb is that if you can watch it on regional TV, you can't watch it on GCL (and vice versa). http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/frequently-asked-questions/

This is the problem (one of them any way) with GCL, the nhl hasn't realized yet that a lot of people are choosing to depart from cable and use the internet as there TV. For all of us that have made that choice there is no option other then international broadcasts. They need to get out of bed with the tv networks and offer programming to all that wish to pay for it or they will continue to loose money to non licensed sites.

I thought they increased the price and got rid of the local blackouts this year. Was thinking of cutting cable this year and going with a combination of apple TV and XBMC, man your cable bill gets a lot cheaper when you tell Rogers you are going to ditch them.

Since I am living in Leafs territory now I would pay to get local blackouts. If it could shut the fans up it would be worth countless $$.

I used NHL Center Ice when I was there. It was great. The first year I had it with Bell and got it on the TV and the web. When I watched it on the web it was just as good as watching it on TV, so I would personally reccomend Centre Ice.. I believe its worth the $$$.

GCL works great. I hope they up the stream rate this year. It is better than subscribing on cable or on the satellite. It has been my experience here in the US--Center Ice only-- that those providers generally broadcast the Canadian feed in SD. It is why I moved over to GCL.

As for blackouts, if the game is nationally broadcast it will be blacked out on GCL and Center Ice for both feeds. If it is a regional game, it will be blacked out on GCL and Center Ice for both feeds.

Here in the States viewers are suing the NHL to stop these blackouts. If you live down here it would be wise to sign up to be a member of the class action because in the end you may get some of your money back or a discount on your subscription. I have been paying for a subscription for fifteen years and would not mind a discount.

I asked the league about blackouts a couple of years ago. They said that blackouts are used to protect their local advertising partners. Seeing a car sell in this region for $20,000 when it sells for $30,000 in another region might upset the apple cart. But with targeted advertising these days this should be a mute point. Take Comcast for example. Their X1 receivers have a camera mounted on the front face of the cable box. They take a picture of who is sitting in the room and target the advertising to that person. Surely with the technology today they could target the advertising without regard to the source of the video stream. So if you are watching the Canucks on Sportsnet Pacific in Houston you will get Houston advertising. The league could look at this type of revenue stream for GCL when it blocks the commercial breaks.

Hey there guys!

So, I recently moved to Calgary, and since I don't want much regular TV, do not have cable at my place. I do, however love watching the games, and am wondering if any other Canucks fans living in Calgary can answer this for me.

If I got GCL in Calgary, would I be able to watch the Canucks play? or because it is one province over, would I get the Blackout issues? I don't want to pay 200 for it not to work.

I understand Canucks/Flames games would likely be blacked out, but I would still like to know the best way to watch the 'nucks this year, and with the best quality.

I know of some of the illegal methods that do not have permission to stream the games, so as a warning for all, please don't mention them, or else you could get some warning emails, which is no fun.

Anyway, if anyone knows if I can watch most Canucks games on GCL in Calgary, please let me know! or if there is other legal means, let me know as well. if anyone knows anything extra, feel free to email my user directly!

Thanks guys!

PS! I would really like it if someone could make me a sig! If anyone knows who to get ahold of, let me know!

A Canucks fan in a C of Red

I would recommend using GCL (as a fellow Calgarian). Being in Alberta, you will be subject to blackouts whenever we play the oilers or flames, but you can change your IP address with a VPN to get around that (I use hidemyass.com). As a side note, if you change your IP address to Europe, when registering for GCL, you should get a nice discount (which pays for the annual vpn service).! I would describe this approach as crafty... Not illegal :)

Im in a similar situation i recently moved from van ouver island to regina. My cheapest option is buying gcl on tablet and routing it to my tv or buying gcl on ps4 etc using a vpn.

Honestly if i can afford it when the moment is here ill prob just bite the bullet and buy gcl and a local cable package. Real cable is better than online gcl streaming. If u think about it its really not that expensive when u think of how much going out costs these days. The poor guys who want to watch all the games and are out of bc id suggest a vpn and the gcl mo ile app the last few years u could get it for next to nothing just google it.

Archived