The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rich Chinese are the key focus of luxury car show in Vancouver

DonLever

Xinhua in Vancouver

A "Year of the horse" special edition Rolls-Royce is displayed at the Vancouver car show at the Botanical Garden in Vancouver. Photo: Xinhua

Vancouver is a city where the rich like to flaunt their wealth with expensive cars, and many of those extremely wealthy are now ethnic Chinese.

Many of those trophy cars were on show at the Luxury & Supercar Weekend at the picturesque Vancouver's Botanical Garden.

Among them were brands such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and Maserati, and a red convertible valued at almost C$6 million (HK$42.7 million).

Show director Craig Stowe said Vancouver had more luxury cars per capita than any other market in North America.

"It's a beautiful, small city, with great roads and a lot of wealth. And with wealth comes appreciation of super cars and the more super cars you get on the road, the more super cars are bought," he said.

"For those who own a super car, it says you've arrived. It's a statement where you're expressing to people that you can afford to buy the very, very best."

The luxury car industry has expanded rapidly in Vancouver, coinciding with the rush of Chinese millionaires to the city. About 37,000 rich migrants moved to British Columbia from 2005 to 2012 under an immigrant investor programme, 66 per cent Chinese.

Vancouver, has strong ties to Asia, both in trade and investment. The 1980s and early 1990s saw a flood of money from Hong Kong and Taiwan from investors worried about political change.

Different types of super cars are seen. Photo: XinhuaEarlier this year, Steven Wu, brand manager and sales associate at Rolls-Royce Vancouver, said that the dealership had sold 66 cars since opening, with 43 of them being snapped up by enthusiastic Chinese or ethnically Chinese buyers.

Chris Petersen, the Lamborghini Vancouver business manager, said the vehicle's sales outlet in Vancouver had become the brand's second best-selling market among all locations in Canada and across the United States.

"The roads are quite decent and there's also an influx of people with money that have been moving here, want to retire here, just want to vacation here, especially in the summer because it is quite nice," Petersen said.

The three-day super-car show, which ended yesterday, has drawn many fans.

"It is only a dream for us to have such an expensive car. But it is better to have a dream than not, right?" said one young couple.

No link?

Reminds me of back when I had my Ford Ranger and I put it up for sale, I had people calling all the time who thought they were coming to see a Range Rover. Not one Caucasian person got it confused though, it was all East Indian or Asian people that were looking for a sweet deal on a pricey vehicle, presumably for the status.

"For those who own a super car, it says you've arrived. It's a statement where you're expressing to people that you can afford to buy the very, very best."

That, or it says you're a douchebag.

i'll go with the latter. Real money goes with the ultra luxury (Bentley, Rolls, Aston Martin, etc.), new money goes with the ultra showy/ultra fast.

lol buying a ferrari means you're insecure and looking for status

today i learned

That's what it says in the article... so...

It just means you have more money than you know what to do with so you spend on it showy useless stuff. Where the hell are you gonna drive around a ferrari in Vancouver like it's meant to be driven? It's like people who own hummers in the city, it's totally useless.

That, or it says you're a douchebag.

Haters going to hate?

Although if you had billions of dollars would you keep it in the bank until you died or would you spend that a little bit for the finer things in life? I mean, once you are dead, you can't really bring that money with you.

Haters going to hate?

Although if you had billions of dollars would you keep it in the bank until you died or would you spend that a little bit for the finer things in life? I mean, once you are dead, you can't really bring that money with you.

For sure I would spend some of it, can't say a fancy car though in a city where I can't drive it like it should be. Maybe buy land in Germany and drive on the autobahn, that makes sense. A ferrari in Vancouver is just dumb.

""For those who own a super car, it says you've arrived. It's a statement where you're expressing to people that you can afford to buy the very, very best.""

The fact that you need to express that you're rich just reeks of insecurity.

That's what it says in the article... so...

It just means you have more money than you know what to do with so you spend on it showy useless stuff. Where the hell are you gonna drive around a ferrari in Vancouver like it's meant to be driven? It's like people who own hummers in the city, it's totally useless.

Again, you could take the car to the race track and join a club. Just like you said, you have more money than you know what to do with it. I doubt you would be driving a Toyota Echo if you had that type of money. Although you could drive an Echo and have millions just sitting in the bank, but I would call that more useless when the government takes more of it through taxes.

For sure I would spend some of it, can't say a fancy car though in a city where I can't drive it like it should be. Maybe buy land in Germany and drive on the autobahn, that makes sense. A ferrari in Vancouver is just dumb.

""For those who own a super car, it says you've arrived. It's a statement where you're expressing to people that you can afford to buy the very, very best.""

The fact that you need to express that you're rich just reeks of insecurity.

I doubt everyone who is rich is trying to express they are rich, some are just buying a sports car to live a childhood dream of driving a sports car. Again, you can take that car to a race track and someone who owns a collection of valuable cars like Jay Leno, its all about hobbies and interests. Although, when you are ultra rich, buying a sports car is just like buying a Toyota Echo, its just a drop in a bucket.

Again, you could take the car to the race track and join a club. Just like you said, you have more money than you know what to do with it. I doubt you would be driving a Toyota Echo if you had that type of money. Although you could drive an Echo and have millions just sitting in the bank, but I would call that more useless when the government takes more of it through taxes.

Didn't say you have to drive a Toyota Echo.

Hell if I had billions I wouldn't be driving anywhere. I'd 1) have someone drive me in a limo 2) take helicopters 3) invest in some jet pack technology

The last thing I'd do is buy a lamborghini or ferrari so i can sit in traffic.

Archived