The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows: Canucks never asked him to waive NTC

TheRussianRocket.

The one issue I see with Burr is the same problem I had with Lapierre. His antics can be counter productive. Sometimes he can piss people off to the point where they are focsed on burning us, not taking penalties. He was never in the Lappy category, and I feel like he has worked hard to leave that part of his game behind him, but the rep stays. I guess if people can learn to forgive Ratt Cooke then the sky's the limit.

Sorry Chalk-meister...I'm in the camp that believes Cooke should be given a lifetime ban from the NHL...the only other player I have ever felt this way about is Bryan Marchment. I'm all for hard hitting, rough and tough play, but guys who have a history of targeting heads and knees have no place in the game of hockey.

Burrows is many things that can categorize him as a rat or a weasel, but he isn't a guy who knocks anyone on the head or takes out players at the knees. There is a place in the NHL for pet rats...calling Cooke a rat is an insult to Burrows.

Sorry Chalk-meister...I'm in the camp that believes Cooke should be given a lifetime ban from the NHL...the only other player I have ever felt this way about is Bryan Marchment. I'm all for hard hitting, rough and tough play, but guys who have a history of targeting heads and knees have no place in the game of hockey.

Burrows is many things that can categorize him as a rat or a weasel, but he isn't a guy who knocks anyone on the head or takes out players at the knees. There is a place in the NHL for pet rats...calling Cooke a rat is an insult to Burrows.

Cooke isn't that bad. He has had a lot of bad luck, with guys raising their heads at the very last second, etc. I think Matt Cooke's reputation is actually worse with the media than it is with the players.

You know, I read an article like this and it makes me jump back on the Burrows bandwagon and wishes he gets back to where he was 3-4 years ago for the good of the Canucks and for Burrows himself. Few things for sure, Burrows sure hasn't taken his time in the show for granted and is a great teammate (as can be seen by the way he speaks of Radim Vrbata, a guy who essentially has been brought in to take his job on the first line). Enjoy the crypt's fine article. It's a good read.

Burrows puts last season behind him, wants to get back to playoffs

By Tony Gallagher, The Province September 9, 2014 5:07 PM

Last hockey season wasn’t exactly something Alex Burrows wants to relive physically or verbally.

Of all the glorious campaigns he’s had over the years, whereby he’s dragged himself out of the Eastern League to the American League and then into an NHL career that paid him $6 million for last season, that last season will not be well remembered by anyone other than his financial adviser.

It’s not often a guy gets hurt in the first game of the season and in his last game at the world championships, but that’s what the likable Vancouver winger went through — so you would have to think he’s due for a different set of breaks.

But from a broken foot in Game 1 to being helped off the ice in Belarus, the 33-year-old from Pointe Claire, Que., has raised some clear doubts as to where his career is heading following just five goals and 15 points in the 49 games he managed to play last season.

Is there anything left in the tank? Can he still manage to produce the same work rate which has been the hallmark of a remarkable career? Have all those rugged years of working so hard every shift in all three leagues put so much mileage on his odometer that we’ve seen the best of him? Or is there still life in this guy with the ability to do so many valuable things for any team when he’s right?

You can be sure the Vancouver Canucks are hoping it’s the latter because he’s one of a few players at this age on their roster with significant time to run on their contracts — three more years at a cap hit of $4.5 million per in this case.

“The only thing I did this summer a little differently was maybe start training earlier, in early June,” said Burrows. “All the changes, with Trevor (Linden) coming in, the GM and new coach, some new faces and all the young guys coming in we’re looking first to make the playoffs and after that you never know what’s going to happen. Last year is in the past and I want to put it behind me.”

It may well be his role with the Sedin twins is a thing of the past, too. Certainly that’s been the indication from the team with the signing of Radim Vrbata as the second high-priced free agent of the summer, and all indications are Burrows’ former teammate in junior at Shawinigan will at least start the season with the Swedes.

“We played together a long time ago, maybe 13 years ago,” said Burrows. “He was an awesome player back in junior that could score a lot of goals. He was a first liner for us in Shawinigan when I was a fourth liner and he was drafted by Colorado and I was undrafted.

“He was a great guy, he worked hard at his game and was in the gym working out all the time and we always kept talking. Every time we played against Phoenix in the warm-ups we would always say hello and we’d talk a little bit. He’s a great player with great offensive skills and I’m sure he’s going to help our team a lot.”

Burrows insists he’s more than happy to be on the second or third line depending on where the new coach wants to play him, and at this stage of his career that’s entirely believable. He has scored game-winning Stanley Cup final goals in overtime, landed a well-earned contract and been to Game 7 in a final.

And when you’ve done all that and you have three years to go on your deal, all you care about is another opportunity at the big prize. With injuries and slumps he knows he’ll probably get some time with the twins and possibly re-ignite the chemistry they’ve shared for so many seasons together. But whether he’s there or with Nick Bonino, Brad Richardson, Shawn Matthias or Bo Horvat as his centre, it’s not going to faze him.

“As long as we win games and get back to the playoffs with me playing anywhere, I’m all for it.”

© Copyright © The Province

I hope Burrows retires a good Canuck.

he will....anyone who ignores character, doesn't get what they are trying to build here. Trev wants this guy, Willie will love this guy, and Benning will see what he thinks of this guy, was wrong.

Don't forget Benning's view of certain players would have been biased to some degree from that finals...so...he may not realize what this guy is about.

Anyone who can't appreciate how Alex Burrows plays, what he brings, outside of points, well they just don't get it....

Burr rocks and he will shut all the naysayers up

Burr!

Folks with short term memory can be so quick to dole him to another team, but the guy has worked hard to stay here. Hes sacrificed the chequebook, mind and body, scored arguably our most historic goal, but itll never be enough.

I know a players time on his team cant last forever, but if Burrs career goes on another season for us, it would be pretty cool to see in my opinion. Expessially if he can get back on his A-game.

Burrs value is great and hes undoubtedly a classic Canuck.

Burr aint the first guy to pull hair or bite in the NHL but he is vilified more than anybody else that did it. Couple of years ago in a game against the Habs it was one of the Russians on the Leafs Grabs or Kully that bit on of the Habs. Every body down east including the media had a good laugh about it. If it was Burrows they would be screaming for a 50 gamer and the media would be slagging him for the next 3yrs. Ole Ronnie would have a field day.

I'll agree he is vilified more than anyone else who does it. However, it still doesn't justify it.

Time to let things go? The Canucks acted like they were a desperate team well, because, they were a desperate team. It was a free for all and an anything goes in relation to what teams could do to them. How about Marchand/Daniel? How ABOUT what was happening with Lu? Nice to pick and choose, but that doesn't work unless you're short sighted. Big picture.

And embellishment was just that - a sign of desperation. Answer this: how many times has a ref taken a pre game skate with a player to tell him he's stalking him? It was all a gong show and sure, Burr did some stuff (too).

Let's see if you're in here when he's scoring short handed GWG's. You don't have to like him, there ares plenty of other people who do and it's a drop in the bucket really.

Here, perhaps instead of hating on Burr like he's the only man on Earth, do some reading to see it happens:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/11/3975518/mikhael-grabovski-biting-incident-nhl-history

Burrows bit Bergeron in game 1, that was before Marchand low bridged and then punched Sedin (neither of which I agree with either) or things really began to go off the rails.

I don't agree with what Auger did either. Also, doing it out of "a sign of desperation" is no excuse for embellishment or diving.

I actually said I liked the way he played (except for his bad angled shots last year, in a desperate attempt for a goal), I just don't agree with a lot of the other things he does.

I don't agree with what Grabovski or anyone else who did something similar either.

The Canucks brass needs to issue a challenge to the team.

If they can collectively score more goals this season than botchford has failures they will all get a nice fat bonus. It's an impossible challenge of course because they would need about 1000 goals for the season to even have a shot at beating the incompetence of Botchford, but it would make for a nice motivator.

There are a lot of logical reasons that can be laid out to trade Burrows at some point.

Having said that, could it be easier to root for a player and a person like Alex Burrows? Sure, he does some interesting crap on the ice that gets him hated. But he is just a genuine nice person. It shines through whenever he talks. And he remembers where he came from which is getting more rare all the time with NHL athletes.

Its hard not to want him to be have a monster bounce back season no matter what you think of his antics sometimes.

Archived